What is the best bushcrafting dog?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Couple more of my little fella, whos just gone six months. How cute? ;)

His Ruffwear Approach Pack has just arrived.
I've had the PFD on him in the canoe quite a bit, from a very young age, he's accepted wearing the packs without batting an eye.
So he can carry his own food/bed etc.

We saw our first roe deer yesterday, after stalking around a local wood for an hour, we came upon it, about 30 yards away. And it was off in the blink of an eye. Fantastic experience. He didnt know what to make of it.

Gonna take him for some gundog training I think, but it seems bloody expensive!

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Arya and Dave, stunning and cute both of them. Missing mine - was the 1st anniversary of his passing on Sunday past. Give your dogs an extra hug from me tonight.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Hey, your boy looks the bizzness , Dave! Seems all the probs are now behind you both............Insofar as they ever are!...........................atb mac

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Arya and Dave, stunning and cute both of them. Missing mine - was the 1st anniversary of his passing on Sunday past. Give your dogs an extra hug from me tonight.

My condolences. About 3 years passed before we got another. Glad we did.

Hey, your boy looks the bizzness , Dave! Seems all the probs are now behind you both............Insofar as they ever are!...........................atb mac

Cheers Mac. :) Yeh, he's spot on now. Plays rough with me, which i like, but knows when I say enough and I mean it. Also, very good with young children, has learned to treat different people differently, and is very very friendly/polite to all other dogs and people. True what they say, you get the dog you deserve

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's great to hear, Dave - but don't be so modest, mate, I reckon as in most other walks of life you get out what you put in; you make 'em the dog they become.................atb mac

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
I have a husky/german shepard cross she may be quiet but only walks to heal when it suits her and would stick her head in the cooking pot even if i was looking

still if i can get the heal sorted i'd love to take her with me

Perhaps something like the Czechoslovakian wolfdog? they are extremely loyal, they have an incredible amount of physical strength ( the reason why they are used as rescue dogs) they are great in cold, are as trainable as German Shepard, and have a big hunting instinct ( what could be a bit of a down side as well, however they do need a clear and strong leader. plus it doesnt have they massive amount of over-activity that husky's have so they are allot more manageable.
plus because of their strength they could easily haul 40 to 60 liter dog packs! which is awesome IMO, let him carry his own food?

And Indeed I think they biggest difference made apart from race, is they way they are raised.
and tbh even the race differs for each environment, I was mainly focussing on Taiga/Boreal forest as that is my main interest.
Yours sincerely Ruud

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Perhaps something like the Czechoslovakian wolfdog? they are extremely loyal, they have an incredible amount of physical strength ( the reason why they are used as rescue dogs) they are great in cold, are as trainable as German Shepard, and have a big hunting instinct ( what could be a bit of a down side as well, however they do need a clear and strong leader. plus it doesnt have they massive amount of over-activity that husky's have so they are allot more manageable.
plus because of their strength they could easily haul 40 to 60 liter dog packs! which is awesome IMO, let him carry his own food?
Yours sincerely Ruud

If I ever get my life into a suitable situation I'm gonna get me one of those. Or a saarlooswolfhond. Or a Tamaskan dog. Love these types of breeds:cool:

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
My golden retriever! Love her more than anything, she truly is a mans best friend.

image_zps4391e6b5.jpg
[/IMG]

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
And here´s mine :)

Untitled by Lykketrollet84, on Flickr

Do all the men in your life have to have such a physique Arya? :yikes: :D :joke:

That's great to hear, Dave - I reckon as in most other walks of life you get out what you put in; you make 'em the dog they become.........

Thats exactly what I meant mate. :) Have I missed your pooch photos? Have you got a dog mac?

Perhaps something like the Czechoslovakian wolfdog?
and tbh even the race differs for each environment, I was mainly focussing on Taiga/Boreal forest as that is my main interest.
Yours sincerely Ruud

I've never seen a dog which looks so like a wolf. Great looking dog. If I saw that though in an unfamiliar forest, I'd think it was a wolf!

220px-Czechoslovakian_Wolfdog_face.jpg

My golden retriever! Love her more than anything, she truly is a mans best friend.

image_zps4391e6b5.jpg

She looks like it too!

I dont know what the differences are between the golden retriever and lab retriever, except for the longer fur, and mine has webbed feet, which I dont think the goldens do, do they?

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
She looks like it too!

I dont know what the differences are between the golden retriever and lab retriever, except for the longer fur, and mine has webbed feet, which I dont think the goldens do, do they?

No she doesn't have webbed feet and the longer fur is pretty much the only difference but I think retrievers make better gun dos and Labradors make better guide dogs.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Here's a few of the apple of my eye - Molly, turned 5 last May, and the most intelligent animal I've ever had the privelege and the pleasure of having by my side. I've spent a very happy life in the constant company of both horses and dogs and have loved and enjoyed each and every one of them, but this girl is head and shoulders above 'em all - Truly my "Heart Dog"

IMAG0048.jpg IMAG0069.jpgIMAG0127.jpgIMAG0128.jpg

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
No she doesn't have webbed feet and the longer fur is pretty much the only difference but I think retrievers make better gun dos and Labradors make better guide dogs.

Except most (actually all) Goldens I've seen were gunshy and no Labs were.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE