What is a Tea Can?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Toucan-with-Cicada_jpg.jpg
happy0009.gif

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Tea Canister..............it's what we keep tea in.

You are joking ?? No ?

I think the American's call our mugs, cans, though. Well, the straight sided ones.

cheers,
Toddy

p.s. We call them caddies too, but that was originally the box that held the canisters.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
Hi Toddy,

No the thing in the link, its like a jug or something with a enamel cup on the top, i was wondering if its like a kettle and cup think, maybe what old timers had before flasks?

It doesnt have any pictures to explain what its like when it breaks down, i.e. is it just a kettle??

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No idea :dunno: We used to carry cold tea in a bottle in Summertime .......flasks were expensive and kids didn't get them.
Might be, might be...........looks kind of useful for that. Suppose the cup is both lid and how to drink :cool:
Enamel ought to be okay on the fire, uncomfortably hot to drink from though at times.

Hmmmm.,

cheers,
Toddy

"Come fill up my cup, come fill up my can, come saddle my horses and call out my men " Bonnie Dundee.

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
I saw one of these being used in a WW2 propaganda film, by a firewatcher or air observer or roadmender or somesuch. I haven't been able to find any information on them though...

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
You can use a Tea-can to brew up,it has a bail-arm and a lid that doubles as a cup
Or you can carry cold tea in it (or any other liquid you might want to drink) and either use it as a flask or re-heat/warm the contence over a fire or on a stove top

The mug lid should have a dogleg groove in it that bayonets into the top of the can, mine did anyway....I'll have to see if I can find it as it was quite a good little pot really

Dammit, I must type faster

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Yup thats a tea can, back in the 50s and before miners especially took cold tea to drink at work, no doubt sugared to hell and back.

I vaguely remember seing a battered one at the Blaenavon Big Pit museum.

Now what I'd really like to find is a proper ACME snap tin!

ATB

Tom

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
As used by train drivers, the tea wood be heated in them on the coals of the engine.

They will take the heat of any open fire no problem.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I remember watching the fireman signning (rinsing) out the teapot from a spigot on the side of an engine in Glasgow Central when I was very little. My dad said they must like oily tea. It was definitely a tea pot. I saw the steaming tea leaves on the track later when I squinted over the bumpers.

We live and learn :cool: Funny old world.

cheers,
Toddy

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
Hi

i've worked at sheffield forgemasters foundry for thirty years and when i first started (at the tender age of 19!), everybody had one of these, we called them billy cans (dunno why tho'!)

the scruffy gits wouldn't wash them out, they were always completely black inside (imagine what tea wil do to your guts :eek:)

they said the flavour would dissapear if they were washed (i'd rather sup tasteless tea :yuck: )

john :)

BTW, tea, milk and sugar were all thrown in together then the water, it was then placed on top of a fire...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE