What have you learned since being on the forum?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
That Ikea do a very nice line in hobo stoves, and that if you must baton with your knife, make sure you keep it to yourself. Oh and never start a thread that invites a comparison between BG and RM.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
....Some people take a dislike to you, even though you have never met!...

There's every chance that when you meet those same people in person you'll get on just fine.

Grown men on the internet are far more emotionally delicate than......well.....anything else I can think of at all :eek:

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
Its not just in here but every forum I'm a member of.

I am a senior mod on HPOC.co.uk and we get more than our fair share of drama queens! Some of the things we have to sort out behind the scenes is laughable at times. I have seen me stopping up all night to sort out issues with members who insist on forming multiple accounts and running amok because the read a comment out of context and spat the dummy.

With reference to the dislike comment, 3 years ago I had a chap hunt me out at a club meet as he was going to give me a piece of his mind because I was doing my job on the forum and he took it personally. When we met he was shocked I was a 39 year old bloke with a long beard. He was expecting a 17 year old spotty teenager! After the initial introduction and a laugh we got on fine and are now good mates.

Personally I think this is an excellent forum and its made great, partly by the people, and partly by the mods. You lot do a great job of keeping the peace and making sure we are in line with the rules. My hat comes off to you for this thankless task!!

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
You can't hear intonation and emotion in most of the written replies.
Patience is a very good thing.
There's always someone out to do themselves a good turn.
There are always hundreds who would do others a good turn first :)
Not everyone will like you, regardless of how courteous or helpful you may be.
Minds are like parachutes; they function very well indeed when open.
A secret is only a secret when no one else knows it.

atb,
M

So true :)

I tend to speak my mind when necessary, and my intent is occasionally misconstrued. As a mod on another forum this can lead to misunderstandings. As you say, the internet doesn't suit everyone, so it's good to see so many meets and friendships being formed here. It's the way forward.

We can all sit on the sofa and type, link, quote etc, but there's nothing like being out and doing it.

Freezing our nuts off, hungry, in need of a wee, fire's gone out, hip flask empty, sleeping bag failing...;)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have learned that there a great many kind and generous people, a few folk who seem to be intent on stirring things, a great many who get on with it and say little, a few who do little and say a great deal, a great many who I will never meet, a few I see on a regular basis, a great many that I have warmed to, a few I would rather not meet .... a bit like life really!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I have learned that there a great many kind and generous people, a few folk who seem to be intent on stirring things, a great many who get on with it and say little, a few who do little and say a great deal, a great many who I will never meet, a few I see on a regular basis, a great many that I have warmed to, a few I would rather not meet .... a bit like life really!

You forgot there's some folk that like to send you lots of pink things ;)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That you don't have to have physically met someone to be able to call them a friend. And with friends you don't need much else.

Oh and don't "motor-boat" a sleeping Jack Russell - they no likey!!!:eek:

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
The joy of hammocking, a spoon knife will carve a thumb just as easy as it'll carve a spoon, a PLUQ is easy to make and rather warm, you can never have too many sharps, just because a man is big burly and bearded; does not mean he doesn't love pink (sporks)......and probably a lot more :lmao:

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Even though sometimes, you see avatars, pics, vids etc, when you actually meet members in the flesh so to speak, they are still very different from the above!

Never mind accents! But to be honest i have probably met more BCUK members than most (apart from the moot of course) and nobody i mean nobody! Has disappointed me (possibly one) Maybe it's because we all have a common interest.

I have said this before (more than once!) I have grown up in a small moorland town, so sort of know everybody, one way or another(most of my business interests have been people based)

But since being involved in bushcraft/wild camping i have met some of the most amazing people in my 50 years on this planet! People i would call true friends, some i have only met once or twice, yet feel more at home with them more than people i have known all my life (common interest again, maybe?)

So, going back to the OP! Oh yeah that was me, without this forum, i would never have met those incredible folks and for that i am eternally grateful, and that is not Wilson bullsh1t!

Ivan...

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Even though sometimes, you see avatars, pics, vids etc, when you actually meet members in the flesh so to speak, they are still very different from the above!

Never mind accents! But to be honest i have probably met more BCUK members than most (apart from the moot of course) and nobody i mean nobody! Has disappointed me (possibly one) Maybe it's because we all have a common interest.

I have said this before (more than once!) I have grown up in a small moorland town, so sort of know everybody, one way or another(most of my business interests have been people based)

But since being involved in bushcraft/wild camping i have met some of the most amazing people in my 50 years on this planet! People i would call true friends, some i have only met once or twice, yet feel more at home with them more than people i have known all my life (common interest again, maybe?)

So, going back to the OP! Oh yeah that was me, without this forum, i would never have met those incredible folks and for that i am eternally grateful, and that is not Wilson bullsh1t!

Ivan...

+1 to the above. Cheers Ivan.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE