What has it got in its pocketses?......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Ok. I guess that about covers it for trouser pockets (and handbags) but what about the jackets you usually wear.

For me I would have to add to my first list : another lighter (windproof and waterproof), GPS, mobile phone, plastic bags, lead and treats (for the dog), cable ties, another torch, notebook, pen, roll of paracord, compass on zipper pull, waterproof matchcase with compass and occasionally a multitool and tobacco tin kit.

Some of these items double up on the contents of my trouser pockets so I guess that makes be a "belt and braces" type of guy, but I wouldn't feel right without them.

I do think OhCanada's idea of the heavy tinfoil for a container is great and I notice Tesco have started to sell a thicker kitchen foil in their "finest" range which seems up to the job. It's also a lot better for cooking wrapped food in the fire too.

I've now added some to my tobacco tin kit and my wallet.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Gardening gloves,
pruners,
finds bags,
chert core,
Hairpins,
hankies,
£2 coin,
pen,
sak mini,
Figwort seeds,
arisaid brooch,
thimble (yup, another one)
length of willow string (2m)
2 aniseed balls & about a dozen oak galls

Cheers,
Toddy (I'm beginning to think I'm a packrat :confused: )

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
Toddy said:
Gardening gloves,
pruners,
finds bags,
chert core,
Hairpins,
hankies,
£2 coin,
pen,
sak mini,
Figwort seeds,
arisaid brooch,
thimble (yup, another one)
length of willow string (2m)
2 aniseed balls & about a dozen oak galls

Cheers,
Toddy (I'm beginning to think I'm a packrat :confused: )

your handbag is a tardis :cool:
I am left wondering what you pack when your going on holiday though *runs away before she hits me with her handbag*

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Andy said:
your handbag is a tardis :cool:
I am left wondering what you pack when your going on holiday though *runs away before she hits me with her handbag*

:D :p
I just sort of spread all the bits and pieces around, means I've always got something useful to hand :D
I never understood the need for a special *survival kit* there's always something that'll do kicking around somewhere, or I'll just make what I need from what I can find.

Holidays...oh good grief, so long as I don't have time to think about packing I'm fine, otherwise it's the fitted kitchen never mind the sink :eek:

Cheers,
Toddy

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
bit of string for practicing knots
opinel 5
keys
small torch on keys
empty wallet
and usually some rubbish of some description (can never be bothered to find a bin so stuff it in my pocket...)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I've just added a Benchmade Mini Giptillian to the list. What a super little knife...

I can see why Doug Ritter based his RSK knife around the Griptilian, the axis system is the most solid lock I've ever used, very positive and it seems pretty bombproof.

In fact the RSK is looking quite atractive right now....... ;)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hey Wayland.....what about, "What has it got in it's pocketsess?", for all the different centuries we work in? From Neolithic to 16th century? I'd bet it'd still come down to something to cut with, something to light a fire with, something to sew with and a few personal hygiene things, maybe a 'fetish' or two :)

Cheers,
Toddy

FeralSheryl

Nomad
Apr 29, 2005
Gloucestershire
My pocketses is a handbag too. A little two tone Sativa Handbag it is. Hmmm...8X5 inches or there abouts. Contents:

Small Black Hemp Purse containing Cash/Cards.
Leatherman Micra
House Key
Mobile Phone
Fuji Finepix F402
Eyeliner Pencil
Lipstick
Usually a tiny pocket torch and a lighter (don't smoke either) but not today.

I'd also have one of those TAD Capsules for a Mini Survival kit but they're out of stock and I haven't improvised my own yet.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Toddy said:
Hey Wayland.....what about, "What has it got in it's pocketsess?", for all the different centuries we work in? From Neolithic to 16th century? I'd bet it'd still come down to something to cut with, something to light a fire with, something to sew with and a few personal hygiene things, maybe a 'fetish' ot two :)

Cheers,
Toddy
Wrong forum Toddy!
For fetishes try www...... :D

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Toddy said:
Hey Wayland.....what about, "What has it got in it's pocketsess?", for all the different centuries we work in?

Now that's going to be some list.... Let's see for Viking, my most regular gig, it's all on a belt, pouch and a satchel.

Small knife, pattern welded, whale tooth handle.
Steel striker, decorated with bronze fittings.
Bag containing flints, copper tube, linen, beeswax, sulphur matches. spare steels.
Tinder box containing Chared linen and flax tow.
Antler comb.
Antler and bronze whistle.
Wooden needle case, wrapped with linen thread, antler tweezers, bone, antler and bronze needles and pins.
Taabel game pouch and glass counters.
Purse with hack silver and coins.
Banded slate whetstone.
Marlin spike / fid (antler)
Large knife, pattern welded, bog oak handle.Folding scales.
Purse containing more silver and weights.

That's all I can remember off the top of my head but I'm sure there's more in the bottom of the satchel.

Kirruth

Forager
Apr 15, 2005
Reading
www.bayes.org.uk
Well, there is so much in my handbag, that I have replaced it with a bloomin' satchel.
Most of it is unconnected with survival issues, unless it is possible to die from too little lipstick.

If I have pockets, I always carry a UKPK and a bic lighter. If not, they go into my bag, along with some paracord, a penlight torch, a titanium cup, and a mobile phone.

Compared to our ancestors, we have such an easy time, kit-wise.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE