What has it got in its pocketses?......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Moine said:
Right now, I realize it would be hard. I'd miss a container to boil/store water (I'd have to make one out of wood, I guess).
That's dead right - it's the one thing you can't really carry in a pocket or a kit (although I have a mess tin in my possibles pouch), but it's almost essential.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Wayland said:
Ok, following on from the "Why am I carrying...." thread, I notice quite a few of us have what I would describe as "Boy Scout Pockets"

My jean pockets usually carry a Swiss Army knife, a small torch, a lighter (I don't smoke) an antler whistle, a steel striker, my wallet, coin pouch and keys. I'll save the contents of my jacket for a later posting.

I've never weighed this little collection but I'm sure it adds to the wear on my shoes and pockets.

Lets face it most "normal" people do not carry stuff like this but manage to survive everyday life well enough.

I could justify most of these items in one way or another but I wonder......Do I just carry this lot because it may be useful or as some kind of "comfort blanket".

So what do you have in your pockets at this moment and why?.... ;)

House keys (with beer bottle opener keyring).
Motorcycle key (with tiny LED torch keyring).
Mobile phone.
Wallet.
Watch with velcro on the back and no straps cos I bung it onto the bike top yoke and use it as a clock while on the bike.
Change

Seems to get me through the day so far:)

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Toddy said:
My pocketses is a handbag ... It's got, [lotta stuff] female essentials (spare your blushes guys), mascara, eyeliner, thimble, antihistamines, ibuprofen, 3 finds bags, mini colour pencils, silver pendant, tea bag, hone stone, opinel knife and a small bit of willow rope.

You mean that all that stuff is "female essentials"? On top of the other stuff?

I'm not sure I understand how a thimble counts as "female essentials"... Can you explain what you use it for that is so different from my "male" use of a thimble (i.e. pushing a needle through canvas)?

Anyway, you can get rid of the thimble. That'll save you a whole 7 to 10 grams!

Use the point of your Opinel to make a conical indentation about 1/4 mm in your thumb nail: put the point against the nail and "drill" very gently. This is just deep enough to act like the dimples in a thimble, so the needle doesn't slide around. Your nail should be thick enough for you to push the needle through three or four thicknesses of denim or canvas without hurting. Good enough for an emergency tent repair.

Keith.

2blackcat

Nomad
Nov 30, 2004
bromley
Errrrr, Keith

I think you read Toddy's post a little wrong

I think 'female essentials' was an item in itself (was the blushing bit that gave it away)

Forgive me if I'm wrong :rolleyes:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Keith_Beef said:
You mean that all that stuff is "female essentials"? On top of the other stuff?

Keith.

Nope; Tampons, femfresh sachets, bio degrade-disposal bags = female essentials. Well I did *try* to spare your blushes.....suppose I could look on it as firestart materials. :cool: The rest is just usefuls.

No thimble :eek: :eek: I sew constantly, my thimble is more important than my purse! In fact I'm sewing just now....medieval hose cod-piece actually. ;)

Maybe this post'd be better scrubbed.
Cheers,
Toddy

Reactions: Minotaur

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Wayland said:
Ah, but you can't use an Opinel as a shot glass... ;)

D'you know that's sooo true :D I do have one of those dinky wee fold up cups, but it doesn't fit in the bag :(
On the other hand; have opinel = have cup making ability :cool:

Cheers,
Toddy

B

Bob Hurley

Rt. front - House and car keys on ring with Photon light, large Case slipjoint folder

Left front - BIC lighter, Chapstick, and ID/credit card/ cash wrapped in a rubber band, Pen

Rt. rear - Bandanna

Left rear - Wallet, but only when I need some of the cards, etc that's in it.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
At the moment I have, 4p, lots of keys, a ball of string,2 disposable lighters, a small firesteel, a small folding plier tool(scarab?) a petzl zipka, tobacco pouch, dogs lead, wallet with credit card driving licence and lots of receipts, half a packet of 15mm olives, a pen, several bits of paper including an official description of a gnome from alton towers!, and my mobile phone a nokia 5140 that has a torch, thermometer and digital compass built in. I think I need a clear out. :rolleyes:

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Wayland said:
Ah, but you can't use an Opinel as a shot glass... ;)

Big thimble, or very small shot glass?

Reminds me of a joke from the Beverly Hillbillies Book of Country Humour.

Two hicks talking about their gran'paws.
One says "my ole gran'paw lived to be a hunnerd an' four, and he never needed glasses"
The other replies "wah so speshul 'bout that? Lotsa people drink straight out the bottle"

Keith.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Moine said:
Could you guys spend a few days in the bush with what you have on you ?

That's a good question. I suppose it would have a lot to do with the environment you found yourself in.

With the contents of my normal jacket there would be little problem but with just my jeans pockets lets see.

Well the SAK deals with cutting and there is a little Dog ID container on it which contains water purification tabs.

Fire is provided by the lighter or the steel striker in a pinch (scorched denim makes good tinder but this is a chicken and egg situation)

The whistle is good for signalling if needed and attracts my dog from a good distance.

The torch is an Inova LED jobbie, good for use and signalling with good battery life (Lithium AA cell)

Direction finding is no problem with an analogue watch.

The main problem would be shelter which in some environments could be provided with the cutting tool and foliage.

But of course the best survival tool of all is contained in the wallet…….Money and credit cards. ;)

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
<FX - Fumbles/thrashes about in seat>

Wallet
4mm blind cord
Seine twine
Penknife (Taylor's Eyewitness pen and lambsfoot)
Opinel 8 on lanyard with Swedish firesteel
Compass
Keys with tin opener&torch
handful of grouse feathers

In and on my trousers.

Whistle on a neck lanyard.

Other stuff in jacket as per other thread - Digickle camera (new yesterday, already dropped, broken and bodged) more fire stuff, FAK, and pkt fags :eek:

I am off work this week, though....

Still, :eek:

Jim.

OhCanada

Forager
Feb 26, 2005
Eastern Canada
Originally Posted by Moine
"Right now, I realize it would be hard. I'd miss a container to boil/store water (I'd have to make one out of wood, I guess)."

Actually, my wallet size kit has 3' by 3' heavy duty tinfoil. Formed carefully over a stump or your knee and you have a pot. A very thin pot mind you but one that can be placed near (not on!) a fire and left to boil.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
You can boil water in a paper bag, apparently. We tried it with the scouts a couple of weeks ago, a top tip if you try it is dont use one that is held together with water based adhesive! :eek:

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
alick said:
Shirt & trouser pockets : Keys, small change, UK penknife, mobile, streamlight keymate, USB stick and compact flash card

Other stuff in suit jacket. :)
Very James Bond - survival essentials in your suit mean you can wander the Kalahari looking like an extra from Gone with the Wind :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE