What hammock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MitchelHicks

Forager
Aug 29, 2006
London
I'm looking for a good hammock and I need some help.

1, I've been thinking about the Woodlore Eco sleep system as its the one that seems to keep your body the most level from what ive seen. However they wont come back in stock until late spring/summer as the old company who makes them couldn't keep up so there changing to someone who can.

2, Theres also the DD hammocks off of Ebay I see a couple of people have them on here.

3, Theres one from cotswold outdoor which comes with a tarp as well (I already have a good australian army hootchie so unless anyone else wants to put some money towards it and they can have the tarp its a waste buying it).

4, There are some army hammocks floating around all over the web.

I'm just wondering if anyone has one or more of these and what they think the best one is. I'd also be interested in speaking to anyone who has the Woodlore Eco Sleep System as I may get one at a discounted rate.

I notice some of them bend quite a bit in the middle which is not what I want as it makes for a very bad nights sleep. If you could tell me if this is the result of the hammock not being put up correctly i.e the tension of the cord or just the way the hammock is id be very gratefully.

Thanks for any replys

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
MitchelHicks said:
I'm looking for a good hammock and I need some help.

1, I've been thinking about the Woodlore Eco sleep system as its the one that seems to keep your body the most level from what ive seen. However they wont come back in stock until late spring/summer as the old company who makes them couldn't keep up so there changing to someone who can.
All I can say about them is they are very pricey, way too much money for a hammock IMHO

MitchelHicks said:
2, Theres also the DD hammocks off of Ebay I see a couple of people have them on here.
I have a DD, it is a tad short and the strings supplied were rubbish, I’m told they come with tapes, which should be better, I’ve spent many a happy hour snoozing in mine, you need a insulating mat between the layers to keep out the breeze, but I guess that is true of all hammocks.

MitchelHicks said:
4, There are some army hammocks floating around all over the web.
I’ve never used one, but have heard nothing good about them.

MitchelHicks said:
I notice some of them bend quite a bit in the middle which is not what I want as it makes for a very bad nights sleep. If you could tell me if this is the result of the hammock not being put up correctly i.e the tension of the cord or just the way the hammock is id be very gratefully.
Thanks for any replys

Some people like a hard and flat hammock, others like myself like a small amount of give, there are others like that “bend in the middle”, and yet more who swear by a really loose hammock and sleep diagonally. It all depends to how you set it up, and how you like to sleep. I use a pillow and get to sleep no problem; others sleep with just the sway of the hammock in the breeze.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
The woodlore hammocks are seriously expensive but are also fantastic quality, they really are built to last and the materials used are very good quality. They are also bug to accomodate the "larger man" :D

I have heard very bad things about the earlier DD ones and have also heard they've made changes but I haven't really experienced one first hand.

I would avoid anything with army written on it when considering comfort, the Army rarely makes things to be a luxury home away from home... sometimes they get lucky but I haven't heard of them pulling it off with a hammock yet.

I have no idea about the cotswold one but Nomad travel do a nice one, I had a look in store and it seems to be a nice bit of kit for the money. - LINK -

I do have 3 hammocks, including 2 custom ones, from Kathmandu trekking and if you can get one, they're worth it.

I also have a Hennessy Expedition Asym with a hex fly and when i'm out on my own it's great, I love it to bits as there's loads of room, I sleep flat and there are loads of nice touches like snake skins.

As has been mentioned, they'll all need insulation either by underblanket or therm-a-rest type... I prefer the mat to the blanket as if something snaps in the middle of the night, I can still sleep in comfort on the floor ;)

Jan 22, 2006
uk
if you can find a bush pod pro - its the hammock of choice! found mine on ebay years ago for £18 inclusive, bargain!

i'm sure the woodlore eco sys's are far better, depends on your budget

(its a good idea to look for 'summer' kit on ebay during the winter and vice versa for winter kit ;) seem stoo obvious - but it works a treat)

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
I use a Jungle Hammock from this guy:

http://www.mosquitohammock.com/

I'm really pleased with it :) - well made, simple to erect, spacious and strong. Hammock and tarp pack together down to about the size of a one-man tent, but I think it's worth it for a bomb-proof nights sleep :D .

I have also got one of the so-called "military" net ones :rolleyes: . Very basic, not that comfortable but quite strong, so OK if you need something that packs small or you want a cheapie to try out hammocking. I'll probably use it as a kit net if I'm staying in one spot for a while.

stickbow

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2006
Northampton England
Hi There
I have a ray mears one and it is fantastic, both in comfort and quality but very expensive, and nw unobtainable.
I also have a hennessy explorer assym deluxe and that is brilliant I have used it in all weathers, and about 5 weeks ago I used it, and it rained very heavy all night, so bad that the ground had puddles all over.
I had to get out twice in the night to water the flowers and found that I could get out, do the watering and get back in and stay completely dry, no rain got in at all, it was a bit noisy and I woke a few time but it is so comfy I just rolled over and went straight to sleep. You will find that if you sleep at a slight angle in the HH the assym design means you sleep flat with your head slightly raised or you can sleep on your side and it is just as comfortable. During the last year I have had several people try my HH and all of them were so impressed that they all brought their own and use them regularly, in fact we are all going out this weekend in them.
Check out www.hennesyhammocks.com you will find it very hard to find one as good for quality or comfort at these prices. You can buy these from woodland organics in England. 10/10 for these.. you won't be dissapointed.

MitchelHicks

Forager
Aug 29, 2006
London
stickbow said:
Hi There
I have a ray mears one and it is fantastic, both in comfort and quality but very expensive, and nw unobtainable.
I also have a hennessy explorer assym deluxe and that is brilliant I have used it in all weathers, and about 5 weeks ago I used it, and it rained very heavy all night, so bad that the ground had puddles all over.
I had to get out twice in the night to water the flowers and found that I could get out, do the watering and get back in and stay completely dry, no rain got in at all, it was a bit noisy and I woke a few time but it is so comfy I just rolled over and went straight to sleep. You will find that if you sleep at a slight angle in the HH the assym design means you sleep flat with your head slightly raised or you can sleep on your side and it is just as comfortable. During the last year I have had several people try my HH and all of them were so impressed that they all brought their own and use them regularly, in fact we are all going out this weekend in them.
Check out www.hennesyhammocks.com you will find it very hard to find one as good for quality or comfort at these prices. You can buy these from woodland organics in England. 10/10 for these.. you won't be dissapointed.

Out of the two which do you prefere.

Thanks for the info guys its narrowed it down alot.

Thanks

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
There is an s missing... the link should be http://www.hennessyhammock.com/

What one is largely decided by your body type, it's all on the website... the only advice I have is get the snake skins, get the hex fly and when you hang it, hang it as high as you can and as tight as you can ;)

MitchelHicks said:
The link was a dead end its actually

http://www.hennesyhammocks.co.uk

Just in case anybody else wants to look

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
tedw said:
I use a Jungle Hammock from this guy:

http://www.mosquitohammock.com/

I'm really pleased with it :) - well made, simple to erect, spacious and strong. Hammock and tarp pack together down to about the size of a one-man tent, but I think it's worth it for a bomb-proof nights sleep :D .

I have also got one of the so-called "military" net ones :rolleyes: . Very basic, not that comfortable but quite strong, so OK if you need something that packs small or you want a cheapie to try out hammocking. I'll probably use it as a kit net if I'm staying in one spot for a while.

These really are the business. I've been using them for a few years now with no complaints. Dead easy and quick to put up, and superstable-NO rocking if put up correctly..

See here for more pics etc...

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=1713

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE