Home for the weekend

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Elstob

Forager
Aug 18, 2019
Darlington
Last minute decision to come up to local area for 2 nighter. It is a bit boggy hence the plastic dust sheet. I'm just getting in to hammock camping and I think I prefer it. Looking at some of the price for hammocks I was quite shocked at the price range for some hammocks! can anyone advise the benefits of say a hennessy hammock compared basic DD hammockBA0DEDF2-53F5-4C03-864F-969233D64A34.jpeg

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Nice place, hope you have a good time!

Which one of the DD hammock are you thinking of? Different hammocks have different design philosophies behind them and then it also depends on the size, fabrics used and amount of neat features you’re getting - plus of course production costs and how much they think they can charge (brand tax and all that).

The DD Frontline XL is for instance narrower and less roomy than the HH Explorer Deluxe, but has a double bottom so you can put a thin sleeping mat in for insulation. Both have built in mozzy net and heavy but easy to use suspension systems. And so on.

A lot of it depends on how you sleep and what you find comfortable. I My DH is comfy in his Frontline XL but as a side sleeper I am not, whereas I can always find a comfortable position in my Explorer deluxe.
Another consideration is weight and bulk - sometimes your perfect hammock for sleeping in is just too heavy or big to be useful.

I am impressed by the DD hammocks that I/we have, so if you find one you like, I don’t see a reason to buy anything more expensive for the sake of it. :)

Reactions: Toddy

John Elstob

Forager
Aug 18, 2019
Darlington
Nice place, hope you have a good time!

Which one of the DD hammock are you thinking of? Different hammocks have different design philosophies behind them and then it also depends on the size, fabrics used and amount of neat features you’re getting - plus of course production costs and how much they think they can charge (brand tax and all that).

The DD Frontline XL is for instance narrower and less roomy than the HH Explorer Deluxe, but has a double bottom so you can put a thin sleeping mat in for insulation. Both have built in mozzy net and heavy but easy to use suspension systems. And so on.

A lot of it depends on how you sleep and what you find comfortable. I My DH is comfy in his Frontline XL but as a side sleeper I am not, whereas I can always find a comfortable position in my Explorer deluxe.
Another consideration is weight and bulk - sometimes your perfect hammock for sleeping in is just too heavy or big to be useful.

I am impressed by the DD hammocks that I/we have, so if you find one you like, I don’t see a reason to buy anything more expensive for the sake of it. :)

When I wrote the initial OP I meant to say that I was just using DD hammocks as an example. I mentioned Hennessy as comparison because that also seems to be a fairly well-known company, but they are a good bit more expensive. So just trying to understand more about the materials used etc. I’m a total newby when it comes to hammock camping, I’m also total gear nerd to lol. At the moment I’m using a Wise Owl double hammock that I quite like. I have added I have added whoopie slings and a ridge line to it.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
When I wrote the initial OP I meant to say that I was just using DD hammocks as an example. I mentioned Hennessy as comparison because that also seems to be a fairly well-known company, but they are a good bit more expensive. So just trying to understand more about the materials used etc. I’m a total newby when it comes to hammock camping, I’m also total gear nerd to lol. At the moment I’m using a Wise Owl double hammock that I quite like. I have added I have added whoopie slings and a ridge line to it.
Ah ok. :) Basically you've got different design ideologies that sets the more expensive brands apart from each other, but they come with added brand tax, then you've got the decent but affordable "proper" hiking/camping hammocks that come with thought out suspension systems (can be modded), attachment points for underquilts or double layered for a sleeping mat and either built-in or at least ideas for added mozzy nets - these are all solid choices too, and then you've got the cheap lounging around on a summer's day hammocks with very simple attachments, possibly no supsension system at all and not really meant for sleeping in.

Fabrics vary between super sturdy, super lightweight and "price sensitive customer" quality. It's a rabbit hole if you want it to be, but most people focus on the suspension system for their gear focused retail therapy needs.

It sounds like you've already got a set up that you're starting to modify, so just go with that for now and then see what you would like to be better and go look for something that gives you that but keeps the rest as you like it. Go have a look at the hammock forum - it's covering everything you could possibly want to know and more!

John Elstob

Forager
Aug 18, 2019
Darlington
Cool, good info, thanks Sara. It gives me something to go off. I will check out the Hammock forums too.
I tried the One Tigris compound hammock which I liked! The bug mesh, and everything was was great and it also had a zip over that cover that would cover you like a cocoon.
But I didn’t really like there suspension system as it creaked something awful. Possibly because I’m a bit of a heavier guy than most. It was always in my mind that it might break lol although the weight limit was lot higher than lil’ ol’ me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: SaraR

Athos

Mar 12, 2021
East Sussex
I find the Hennessey hammocks to be of higher quality in terms of construction and materials used. I much prefer the design as a side sleeper, I’ve never been uncomfortable or experienced any back/neck pain in a Hennessey. They are bulky and heavy though. I have slept in one in 40mph winds in Central America, I’ve got absolute faith in the durability of the Hennessey.

I think the Hennessey hammocks are fairly priced for what you get. Best option is to try and get out and about to have a look at a few of the different setups.

Last edited:
Reactions: SaraR

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I always fancied a Warbonnet Blackbird but never indulged myself. Current hammocks are a Tom Claytor Mosquito Hammock and one of Big Monsters built in underquilt ones (I’ve forgotten the name of it).

Reactions: John Elstob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE