What gives you the thrill when spotting wildlife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
@ Elen: About 6 years ago there was a major outbreak of a viral nature in the Finch community which killed off many Greenfinch in particular, but affected all of them. It's epicenter was Forest of Dean, South Herefordshire and Monmouthshire and it had a very noticable effect on numbers. IIRC, it was transmitted by these birds feeding on bird tables which were not cleaned enough on a regular basis; this type of feeding behaviour is not a natural one for most Finches as they generally pick at seed heads, and this made the Greenfinch particularly susceptible to the virus. We lost them entirely here for a good while, though they are back in force now, I'm pleased to say..............As BR says, put out Niger seed and they'll come, you can also plant thistles of various sorts to attract them, or just cut the seed heads from rough ground and prop them in the garden.

I now find it very difficult to keep up with the voracious appetites of huge flocks of Green/Gold/Chaffinch and have to refill over a dozen feeders every two hours!.............atb mac

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I don't think I'll ever get bored of seeing a wild animal in its native environment, however much I've seen it before.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I don't think I'll ever get bored of seeing a wild animal in its native environment, however much I've seen it before.

+1
We had two stoats bound down the bank we were laid at the bottom of.....fantastic sight.
PS Jonathan......seen one of these?
Circa 1900
usuta8ym.jpg

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Turnstone

Apr 9, 2013
Germany
Just being outside is a nature encounter if you have your eyes and ears open.
And your heart!

So true. Whenever I see wild animals I love it. The tits at the bird feeder, the blackbirds stealing neighbours cherries, the swifts racing overhead. Seeing something new or rare is a special moment, but I am happy to watch just any animal.

franglais

Tenderfoot
Jun 4, 2013
France
The cranes flying south in the Autumn and north in the spring, our house is on the flight route, the sight and noise is amazing, we must be on a turning point as they often circle before heading off to the south west, at the moment I'm enjoying the stag beetles flying around, very comical, the sight of them often freaks out some of the guests, until I explain what they are.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE