What draws you to the woods?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

James Higgins

Oct 4, 2014
Nottinghamshire
What draws you to nature, or more particularly the woods? Do most people just enjoy being out there doing their 'bushcraft thing', or do people have other reasons for enjoying the woods apart from bushcraft, such as enjoying the peace and solitude the woods naturally offers - a welcome break from the calamitous world. Or do others have any mystical attraction with the woods?

The mystical aspect has increasingly perked my interest. It is well known that a favourite abode of our ancestral spirits is non other than our favourite woods. Some claim that spirits and ghosts eat through their sense of smell, and whether you realize it or not (or maybe you don't care) when you build a campfire in the woods and burn a pleasant smelling wood, you are in effect feeding the hungry spirits with incense, thereby protecting your camp! They are grateful for this and bring harmony to the surrounding environment...because, there is nothing like hostile spirits! Incense has been used for millenia for harmonizing negative energies and warding off undesirable spirits.

The old pagans had this knowledge and were famous for their frequent "fires" to pacify the hungry spirits. Unfortunately the fires died out with the rise of Christianity but we have a glimmer of that old tradition at bonfire night. For one night of the year many people come together in what might be seen as a massive offering of incense.

There is something magical about the woods. I am always on the look out for an elf, but I am yet to find one! (and maybe never will). I would be interested to know if anyone has spotted an elf, or more practically, shares a spiritual interest in the woods apart from the 'craft' ...say, Neo Pagan, Wiccan or other spiritual interest?

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
For me it is peace, wildlife, and a freedom from imposed deadlines and restrictions. Not mystical, just enjoyment of other living things.

The mystical thing has been debated on here before, and usually degenerates into an argument.

A quick mod intervention-
spirituality/mysticism is a no no as its been observed it only causes arguments.

Mod hat off
I go to tbe woods as I spend a lot of my time indoors looking after the residents or my son and also gazing at a computer doing paperwork.
Gazing at the fire and being outside is my breather and allows me to mentally recharge

Tom Gold

Forager
Nov 2, 2012
Scotland
www.thetreeline.co.uk
For me its the peace and tranquility - in much the same way as Harvestman just described it. But the other thing that draws me into the woods is the way in which, with minimal baggage, I can also make it a homely place as well. A tarp, a ferro rod and a billy can and all of a sudden what might be a daunting environment for some can become somewhere you can comfortably stay all day and just enjoy the sights and sounds. Love it!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Agreed with all the above :)

It's a bit of escapism for me, doing a 9-5 all week or stuck in the house when I'm on-call, I try to get out when I can. I don't have any local woods so I jump in the motor and drive half an hour across to the village where I grew up, I've still got a couple of permissions there where I can sling the hammock or a tarp up and just chill out listening to the sounds of nature and the occasional passing dog or cow.

Time seems to pass by too quickly in the woods

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I don't know really, I suppose it must be in the blood. I have been drawn to woods for as long as I can remember, climbed trees and played in the woods as a child, only only difference now is I don't climb the trees anymore :)

Other than that I like the sounds, the sights, the smells and the solitude, the immersion in nature really.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Same here, I go to my own woods to work on it and when I visit others even if it's just a walk I'm interested in what's useful/edible/interesting etc. I certainly enjoy the piece and quite (if it's about) and feel at home there.

Similar to going to the beach. I do like simply walking about but I'm happier foraging, fishing and swimming than just sitting about.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Oh or sure - and I love seeing the flora and fauna. But I prefer to be "doing". Today I was marvelling at how the leaves turn on the "Wild Service Trees" we planted - an amazing range of colours on a single tree :)

Wild Service Tree by British Red, on Flickr

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Those of you who believe the countryside is a peaceful place; Can they come and explain that to the owls who keep me awake at night?

(As far as I know there are no woods around here; but plenty of hedgerow trees for the `Howls`)

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I tend to find natural noises are peaceful. Love hearing the owls at night and if you listen carefully the bats as well. Waves, waterfalls are also peaceful even if you think they're noisy. :cool:

Ruud

Jun 29, 2012
Belgium
www.rudecheers.wordpress.com
The woods lend themselves perfectly to have some really personal conversations with others about all kinds of subjects. I'm, not really on purpose, much more open to people with whom I've sat around a campfire all night in the past. (hope this makes any sense, dutch is my native language). To me it's another great place to be with friends. Combining this with practicing skills, exchanging experiences, hiking and all that... Precious time spent wisely imo. I just like to escape from time to time.

Last edited:

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I just go because I enjoy it and like it, I do have things I'll do in the woods wether it is beating or making camp although I do always like a stroll.

I'm funny with noises I can sleep through a fair bit of noise- only time I've ever been woken up was with my dad with two stags rutting outside - that was amazing and a good laugh too. Bar that sideways rain and Gail force winds and I always seem to get to sleep- my dad tells me so as he's the one who's awake!

Tristar777

Nomad
Mar 19, 2011
North Somerset UK
Hi.
What draws me to the woods is the fact that despite the number of people on the forums in web land, there are never any of them to be found in the woods I goto! I like solo camping especially stealth, so travel to numerous places to play hid n seek!
As far as pagan spirits, I have met non! Probably being a Christian has a lot to do with that! Lol.

James Higgins

Oct 4, 2014
Nottinghamshire
The woods appears to be a massive place of retreat then, somewhere to switch off and recharge. This makes sense nowadays. We are continuously bombarded from outside pressure to 'consume'. Shop, buy and die...and don't forget, Christmas is just round the corner!

The woods don't pressure us like this, and they are dependable. No updates required, no new model, no compatibility issues, just always the same ready to welcome us at anytime.

Our tools and fashions may change, but the woods just smile.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE