What does a snow brush look like?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
You can see one hanging down at the side of Gary in this pic :)

Arctic-Trail_1.jpg

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Any little washing up type brush l do the job....I like the ikea one that has a semi pointy other end for cleaning baby bottles as its useful for getting really frosted on ice off your boots too.

Hope that helps,

Bam. :)

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
A brush for brushing snow off kit.

Washing up brushes work very well. Birch twigs, spruce twigs held in bunches also work for the natural approach :).

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I think wolverine fur is so hydrophobic that it doesn't snow/ice up. Why they used to use it in parka hood trimmings.

rg598

Native
Do you have any examples of clothing or equipment that don't retain snow RG? :)

Most modern shells will get the job done nicely. Stay away from loose materials like fleece and wool or at least cover them with a proper shell. Take the picture below for example:

289%255B3%255D.jpg

Note the amount of snow the wool hat has gathered as compared to the GoreTex shell. No snow brush needed for that.

As far as equipment, I'm not sure which gear is causing the problem, but presuming we are talking about something like a shelter, again, most modern materials, even simple nylon perform very well.

084%255B1%255D.jpg

Even when covered in that much snow, you can just shake it off. Never had an issue with any of my gear accumulating snow. Let me know if there is a particular piece that is causing trouble, and I'll tell you what I use.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
It does depend on the snow and the condition of your shell. Have seen GTX (back when I still wore it) iceing up in some of the awful climbing conditions we experienced in the Scottish highlands. Then we were often heading up semifrozen icefalls ans you could end up with a shell of ice over you, especially if you were on a nasty belay. But a good shell with an intact DWR should shed most snow/ice.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Only really used a snow brush to clear my boots when bringing them into a tent or other shelter. A good shakey shake seems to clear the rest and the colder and drier it is the easier it is to shake off.

Cheers,

Bam. :)

Bumbler

Nomad
Feb 22, 2013
Norway
www.bushcraft.no
Cotton shells, like the Swedish Army smocks popular with the Sub Zero Crew on here, will retain snow. Specially if it's wet. Modern materials like in my new outer shell, a British army MVP jacket does not. And if some stick you just shake it off, as unlike on cotton, it does not stick. But those smocks are superb for where they seem to like to go like Jokmokk where the temps are dry cold. Bellow -15 Gore tex breathing capabillity is out classed by cotton shells anyway I've read somewhere.

I had problems with my gaiters this year. They snow stuck to them, melted from my body heat and the gatiers got soaked trough. Luckilly my goretex trousers kept the water out. It became better when I had the gaiters water proofed. But the wet snow still stick. So next season those will have to go.

Same with the old cotton combat jackets of the Norwegian army. In cold weather, and then I mean -5 and waaaaaay bellow, they are fantastic. But over -5 in snowy weather they are rubbish. As snow sticks and you are constantly brushing it off. Thats one of the main reasons the army switched to modern materials.

As for furs. Wolf skin trimmings where used in smocks in Norway because it does not freeze around the face, and it helps to keep the snow off your eyes in a storm and also gives you shade in sunny weather, and the condensation from your breathing won't freeze on it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE