what do you take to occupy yourself when its dark?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

what do you take to occupy yourself in the dark?

• book-fiction

Votes: 47 21.4%
  • book-non fiction

Votes: 25 11.4%
  • book-referance

Votes: 14 6.4%
  • MP3 Player

Votes: 42 19.1%
  • Cards

Votes: 6 2.7%
  • Nothing

Votes: 86 39.1%

• Total voters

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
Whilst lay in my bag waiting for sleep I like to listen to audiobooks - this weekend I shall mostly be listening to Cormac McCarthys 'The Road' (for that extra bit of authenticity :D )

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
i reckon i'll take one of my sci-fi books with me this weekend, under the light of my glowsticks (which are scarily bright) i shall enjoy a nice bit of space shooty ;)
i'll also have ref books with me so i may have a shufti through them.

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
It often depends for me. If I go with the usual chap I go with (who really enjoys his sleep) I end to listen to an audio book whilst he gets his head down early, but if I go alone I tend not to use the iPod, but still have it on me. Not done much more than an overnight so far. Have been known to take a carving project. Can be lost in the fire quite often. On the odd occasion that I'm in a bigger group, chat and banter are all you need.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
well mostly i pass out before dark as my son wears me out in the day (he wakes up at 5.45am everyday) but when camping i always take my binoculars and scout about for wildlife, i cant be arsed with novels sometimes i read field guides or a copy of trail or similar magazine.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Last outing i took a Sharpe book with me, totally unrealistic that a small band of riflemen can see of a french column but hey its good reading ;)

Bush_Man

Tenderfoot
Jun 25, 2010
Portugal
I think it really depends if you're alone or with someone and on the mood too. If I'm alone I like reading a good book or just listen nature's melody. But if I'm with friends it's normal to play some card game and chat around the fire.

dasy2k1

Nomad
May 26, 2009
Manchester
If im alone then its a book (fiction) or a spoon knive (plus clipper on my belt) and whatever i can find lying around, (made a fair few tent pegs for the scout group in the past)

if im with others then its usially sitting round the fire often as not singing (what we sing depends on the company but can range from extreamly rude and loud to trad folk to the many works of flanders and swan or gilbert and sullivan)
a bottle of decent ale dosent go amis in that too :beerchug:(but not when carving! :nono:)

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
I selected MP3 Player as I like audiobooks, plus it plays radio so I can listen to that too.

I might take a good book too though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE