What do you look for in a bushcraft book?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 18, 2008
I am in the process of writing and book, and had a quick thought "what would the people who bought this book like to have information on" So basically thats the question?

What do you want to have more information about in a bushcraft book/ or think that people would want to know if they have no previous knowledge of the subject?

This is what i have writenon so far:-

1. Shelter – natural, artificial and experiences (hammock ‘getting wet’)
2. Fire – how to light a fire, types of fire, types of tinder, clearing away a fire
3. Water – how important it is, how to find it, collect, it, make it safe
4. Knife – types/ looking after, using it
5. Axe – types/ looking after, using it
6. Saw – types of blades/ saw (folding, bow), using it
7. Trees – Oak, Ash, Elm, Beech, Birch, Chestnut, Uses
8. Cooking – Dutch oven, pots types, tri pods, etc, Bread,
9. Clothing – different times of the year
10. Rucksacks – day sack, walking, expedition
11. Cordage – types of trees that can be used, lime tree, stinging nettles
12. Woodcraft/natural resources – carving (spoon, mug, etc), birch bark uses/birch tar, stinging nettles, birch polypore, King Alfred’s cake (cramp ball)
13. Navigation – natural, compass, watch, GPS
14. Tracking – deer tracking and encounters
15. Emergency Signaling – Mirror, Torch, Radio, fire
16. Knots, timber hitch, half hitch full hitch, bow line, sheep shank, etc

Any information will help and advise is very much appreciated.

Adam Giles

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
Hang on a minute mate!!!
What are you up to???
You have just been asking questions under another user name!!

Why are you trying to fool us????

May 14, 2008
uk
I was just trying to see if you noticed, Yes i am actually in the process of writing a book and thought that if i acted like i new nothing than i may recieve more help then if i just asked, But then i throught i'd just explain the situationa and see if anyone would help me. sorry i didnt me any disrespect.

cheers

Adam

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
well Adam (if that is even your real name), you will get no more responces from me. If you start lying from the very first post, then how can anyone believe a word you say.

And i dont beleive for one second that you are writing a book mate.

Dave,..oh..no Bill....or is it Frank???

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
Why set up two accounts?

It doesn't matter if you know everything or know nothing, if you ask a question, more than likely you will recieve the information you wished for plus a whole lot more, there was no need to knowingly set up two accounts.

leon-1

It's against forum rules to have more than one username, choose one and stick with it.

Apart from the disrespect to the members of the forum there is also discourtesy to the owner of the forum, it would have been the decent thing to have informed / asked the owner of the forum of your intentions, others have and do.

Please have a good read of the forum rules.

I was just trying to see if you noticed, Yes i am actually in the process of writing a book and thought that if i acted like i new nothing than i may recieve more help then if i just asked, But then i throught i'd just explain the situationa and see if anyone would help me. sorry i didnt me any disrespect.

cheers

Adam

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
There are not any online currently, i would suggest logging out of one of the accounts and using the one you intend to use permanently from now on.

Just hope the mods and indeed Tony, the Administrator of the site are not in a bad mood, multiple accounts is a lifetime bannable offence.

EDIT** Damn Leon i wanted to lay the smackdown :rolleyes: ;)

May 14, 2008
uk
Im sorry, I was just trying to get information about bushcraft and it went horriblably wrong. i wrote the first thread with my foirst account trying to seem like i new nothing, i then created another account when i realised how much response i would get if just asked the question i really wanted to ask. I didnt want to look stupid but have done and alienated myself from this forum. All i can say is that i am truely sorry and hope that you will can foregive me.

Adam

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
I had considered it at the time, but I am talking this through with the others (mod's and admin).

Maybe i jumped the gun slightly, but i am a moderator on several forums and usually people who use or at least try to use multiple accounts are up to no good.

Adam you should have just asked the question you had wanted to ask in the first place, setting up multiple accounts and logging into both as well as posting on both gives the impression you are upto something.

May 14, 2008
uk
Believe me i am up to nothing. I do wish to keep my membership with this site as the information form it and has been useful, I have'nt been a member long and not really used the forum much, im sorry.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
I am in the process of writing and book, and had a quick thought "what would the people who bought this book like to have information on" So basically thats the question?

What do you want to have more information about in a bushcraft book/ or think that people would want to know if they have no previous knowledge of the subject?

This is what i have writenon so far:-

1. Shelter – natural, artificial and experiences (hammock ‘getting wet’)
2. Fire – how to light a fire, types of fire, types of tinder, clearing away a fire
3. Water – how important it is, how to find it, collect, it, make it safe
4. Knife – types/ looking after, using it
5. Axe – types/ looking after, using it
6. Saw – types of blades/ saw (folding, bow), using it
7. Trees – Oak, Ash, Elm, Beech, Birch, Chestnut, Uses
8. Cooking – Dutch oven, pots types, tri pods, etc, Bread,
9. Clothing – different times of the year
10. Rucksacks – day sack, walking, expedition
11. Cordage – types of trees that can be used, lime tree, stinging nettles
12. Woodcraft/natural resources – carving (spoon, mug, etc), birch bark uses/birch tar, stinging nettles, birch polypore, King Alfred’s cake (cramp ball)
13. Navigation – natural, compass, watch, GPS
14. Tracking – deer tracking and encounters
15. Emergency Signaling – Mirror, Torch, Radio, fire
16. Knots, timber hitch, half hitch full hitch, bow line, sheep shank, etc

Any information will help and advise is very much appreciated.

Adam Giles

Let me get this right,....you want us to do YOUR research for YOUR book. WHY??? Cant you find your own answers. Just getting the answers off others without doing the work,,and then getting paid for it...DONT THINK SO!!!

If a book does come out by you, I will be looking out for instances of plagarism.

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
come on guys, he made a mistake, he owned up to it, i'm sure he had no bad intentions and sometimes these things have a habit of just running off by themselves, give him another chance surely?

May 14, 2008
uk
I have done alot of research and thought that if i asked the people who would be buying whaqt they wanted in the book other then the information that i gathered from personnel experience and research. I do not believe in plagarism and when finally my book is published you will only find it in my own words. I have done alot of work for this book and wish to continue again i did not want anyone to do research for me i am quite happily able to do it, it was market research the thing that would give my book a chance out there.

Adam

May 14, 2008
uk
thank you NatG, i did make a mistake, and i did not have bad intentions in mind at all like you said thing have a habit of just running off by themselves.

thanks

Adam

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Let me get this right,....you want us to do YOUR research for YOUR book. WHY??? Cant you find your own answers. Just getting the answers off others without doing the work,,and then getting paid for it...DONT THINK SO!!!

If a book does come out by you, I will be looking out for instances of plagarism.

Its all out there anyway - it wil be hard to find a new angle on most, if not all these subjects......
Anyone with access to books by RM, Lofty etc and access to this site could cobble together a "new" Bushcraft book without even going out the door....:rolleyes:
Looks like Mr Giles has made a bit of a whoopsie and I would cut him some slack - and yet keep a beady eye on him .......;)
Oh - and I suggest he gets a spell checker for the manuscript!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE