What do you like to read ???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Favorite author Graeme Greene

Just finished a Teddy Roosevelt biog - fancinating as a young man - a real outdoorsman and proper cowboy, as well as intellectual...

http://www.amazon.com/Theodore-Roosevelt-Modern-Library-Paperbacks/dp/0375756787

Been also reading (like most people) the Song of Ice and Fire series by George RR Martin, but felt it was getting very repetitive, after about four books.

Right now reading No Easy Day - the story of the Navy Seal operation to kill/capture OBL. Quite thrilling and though provoking.

mholland

Jan 3, 2013
cheltenham
At the moment i'm reading the Conqueror series by Conn Igulden, and before that read his Emperor series. I really like them because although they're easy to read, they're actually very true to history and well researched, so i learned all about the life of Julius Ceaser, and now Genghis Khan. Highly recommend them!

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
At the moment i'm reading the Conqueror series by Conn Igulden, and before that read his Emperor series. I really like them because although they're easy to read, they're actually very true to history and well researched, so i learned all about the life of Julius Ceaser, and now Genghis Khan. Highly recommend them!

Yeah I agree, a great read!

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Another fantasy fiction fan here, I tend to re-read a lot of authors and have lost track of home many times I've read the disc World Series or the carpet people by Pratchet.

David Gemmell is another of my favourites and have read the his complete works at least 3 times.

Raymond e fiest is also very good and in a similar vein to Gemmell.

I have just started a new series by Angela white (the road) which is an eotwawki type of thing that is surprisingly well written.

K j Parker is another favourite the fencer and scavenger trilogies being my favourites but the rest of his stuff is well worth a look.

James Barclay was another gem I was recommended if your into fantasy, magic and swords.

Michael stark did a series for kindle called the island, fairly short books but a fun story if not spectacularly written.

Mel odom wrote a sci if fantasy demon series, the name escapes me, but was quite a riveting read.

Richard Hurley was another relatively unknown with some varied and well written stories, I would thoroughly recommend the penal colony though would warn its not for the faint hearted with some fairly harsh views if you read between the lines.

For those with a preference for futuristic sci if marshal s Thomas's legion series is a lengthy but very well written and thought through set of books.

Anyway that's my tuppence worth.

Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Another fantasy fiction fan here, I tend to re-read a lot of authors and have lost track of home many times I've read the disc World Series or the carpet people by Pratchet.

David Gemmell is another of my favourites and have read the his complete works at least 3 times.

Raymond e fiest is also very good and in a similar vein to Gemmell.

I have just started a new series by Angela white (the road) which is an eotwawki type of thing that is surprisingly well written.

K j Parker is another favourite the fencer and scavenger trilogies being my favourites but the rest of his stuff is well worth a look.

James Barclay was another gem I was recommended if your into fantasy, magic and swords.

Michael stark did a series for kindle called the island, fairly short books but a fun story if not spectacularly written.

Mel odom wrote a sci if fantasy demon series, the name escapes me, but was quite a riveting read.

Richard Hurley was another relatively unknown with some varied and well written stories, I would thoroughly recommend the penal colony though would warn its not for the faint hearted with some fairly harsh views if you read between the lines.

For those with a preference for futuristic sci if marshal s Thomas's legion series is a lengthy but very well written and thought through set of books.

Anyway that's my tuppence worth.

Hamster

Sorry I don't know what came over me, not sure how I could possibly have forgotten Bernard Cornwell in all that!!!

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Just about finished Assasin's Creed - Forsaken. I read the Renaissance, last year which was better, it had the Borgia family in it.

I'm also reading John Muir stuff on the free Kindle App. on my Android phone.

Biker

Anyone else saved this thread to file for searching out authors that sounded good? Lots of good recommendations, thank you.

Sandbender and Corfe. Reading your replies about Violence doesn't come close to describing it yet beautiful left me confused. I've heard some very negative things about The Road and I even have it on my PC to download to my kindle but won't based on this Horror aspect Sorry chaps but your descriptions haven't warmed me to wanting to try reading his stuff. I used to read James Herbert and Stephen King's stuff but drifted away from that genre simply because it got too disturbing. Last night I had recurring nightmares about Zombies and yet I hadn't seen or read anything on that subject in weeks, so feeding my mind with that stuff is on the banned substance list. Just my opinion though.

Violent? The word isn't strong to convey the horror that can be found in that book, but beautiful, oh yes.

“The jagged mountains were pure blue in the dawn and everywhere birds twittered and the sun when it rose caught the moon in the west so that they lay opposed to each other across the earth, the sun whitehot and the moon a pale replica, as if they were the ends of a common bore beyond whose terminals burned worlds past all reckoning.”

:)

British Red I'm working my way through the first 3 books of Emberverse and enjoyed the first one a lot, the second wasn't as good but enjoyable enough but I've set the third one aside for a bit once I was about halfway through it. The others are on my Kindle for future reading as the mood takes me.

S.M Stirling also wrote a trilogy of Terminator books which was rather enjoyable, I wihs the TV series Sarah Conner Chronicles had used that as their story basis instead of what they went for, oh well.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Aaron - have a crack at the "Nantucket" series by S M Stirling - its the reverse on Emberverse (one island catapaulted back in time with all modern technology) - really good counterpoint!

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Sandbender and Corfe. Reading your replies about Violence doesn't come close to describing it yet beautiful left me confused. I've heard some very negative things about The Road and I even have it on my PC to download to my kindle but won't based on this Horror aspect Sorry chaps but your descriptions haven't warmed me to wanting to try reading his stuff. I used to read James Herbert and Stephen King's stuff but drifted away from that genre simply because it got too disturbing. Last night I had recurring nightmares about Zombies and yet I hadn't seen or read anything on that subject in weeks, so feeding my mind with that stuff is on the banned substance list. Just my opinion though..."

Not 'Horror' as in zombies and vampires, horror as in descriptions of shockingly terrible events. However whereas 'The Road' and 'Blood Meridian' are books some might want to avoid, my original recommendation of 'The border Trilogy' contains nothing that will shock, there is violence yes but nothing you wouldn't expect from books about cowboys at the beginning of the twentieth century.

Elen Sentier

Violent? The word isn't strong to convey the horror that can be found in that book, but beautiful, oh yes.

“The jagged mountains were pure blue in the dawn and everywhere birds twittered and the sun when it rose caught the moon in the west so that they lay opposed to each other across the earth, the sun whitehot and the moon a pale replica, as if they were the ends of a common bore beyond whose terminals burned worlds past all reckoning.”

:)

Yesssssss ... that quote is beautiful. Another one for me to try that I don't know yet.

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
Big Grandiose Sci-Fi, prity much just Warhammer 40K stuff at the moment.

I have just finished reading Betrayer, by Arron Demski Bowden. Picture Religious extremists and blood thirsty Berserker's vs a Roman / Greek empire within a empire butchering there way through 500 worlds resulting in one Demi God being adopted by a God who has a throne made of Skull's, and each army involved is made from 8ft tall genetically enhanced killing machines. Throw in some war machines that are as tall as sky scrapers and space battles where a small ship is 15 kilometres long and you end up with a book made of pure awesome and some delicious cover art.

Betrayer_final.jpg

At the moment I am trying to decide if I want to reread Mechanum, a Book set during the opening days of the Civil war but focusing on the Tech Priests of Mars half side with the Imperium and the other with the Warmaster and things get messy, very messy, here is the cover art.
MechanicumCover.jpg

Or Nemesis, a Team of Imperial Assasins are sent to deal with the Warmaster during the opening days of the war, One Rifleman, One Drug addled psycopath who explodes like a bomb when you kill him, One Anti Psyker (blank, no psycih presence) one Poisons expert and one Data Assasin and a Shapeshifter. But they encounter a direct threat to the Emperor and they have to deal with that and get's messy. And again cover art:
Nemesis.jpg

Nearly the whole series of the Hourus Heresy series are worth reading.

Elen Sentier

OK, I'm into Fforde ... anyone who can say, after discussing the smitings of cathedrals in swindon and Oswestry, "Did they ever decide whether it was ethical for those turned into pillars of salt to be ground up for use as winter road grit?" has got to be good !!! If it's all like this i shall love it
:rofl:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....Of late I've been reading some historical books about WW2. I've just finished Pacific which had been made into a 10 part series along the lines of Band of Brothers. It was superb! The book is more factual as you'd expect and as enjoyable. I'll be starting on Band of Brothers later next month. I need something light to read for some variety.....

You might like this one: www.amazon.com/Marine-The-Life-Chesty-Puller/dp/0553271822 It's the biograhy of Lt. General Louii Burwell Puller (Chesty Puller) His career spanned from WWI through the Korean War. It's a single volume biography. Some of his more famous quotes include this one when from the Korean War when a messenger ran in and said, "Sir! They've got us surrounded!" Chesty replied, "Those poor ********! Now we can shoot in any direction."

Ever since his retirement the Marine recruits in boot camp have to include him in their nightly prayers, "Good night Chesty. Where-ever you are."

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Last edited:

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
Lately I`ve read some of Clive Cusslers books (Trojan odysse and Arctic drift). I`ve also began to read the latest by Jean Auel, but it was boring and I`ve not finished it yet.
The latest book read was by Paul Hoffman, The last four things.
I also read a lot of history books, and of course fishing and hunting books and magazines.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE