Wild Stove/Other - What do you use to protect ground?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Hi,

Just wondering what others use (if anything) to protect ground from scaring/killing grass etc when using Wild Stove or other wood burning stoves?

I have a Grilliput firebowl but dont really like using the stove in combination with it as I think it looks silly and more like a garden ornament or something so would like to have stove on floor without causing damage. I was thinking of getting a 6x6 heatproof tile or something but was wondering if there was any cloth type materials that would be suitable to contain heat from host ash and not burn themselves as a lighter/more packable solution.

Any recommendations welcome.

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Honey, as woodstove (I hate meths !!!) - with a piece of welders' mat underneath, works a treat every time for me and the mat folds up in the same bag with the stove. If I'm out for the day it fits neatly (with food, water and other "stuff") in my snugpack response pack. Safe fire, easy and light.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Have you tried ethanol Elen? 2 litres of bioethanol on offer at B&Q, thats a lot of cooking with a trangia burner and no faffing about feeding twigs, waiting for the stove to cool etc.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Honey, as woodstove (I hate meths !!!) - with a piece of welders' mat underneath, works a treat every time for me and the mat folds up in the same bag with the stove. If I'm out for the day it fits neatly (with food, water and other "stuff") in my snugpack response pack. Safe fire, easy and light.

Thanks, Do you have any specific links to products you have in mind? All the ones I have found are like £15-20+.

Have you tried ethanol Elen? 2 litres of bioethanol on offer at B&Q, thats a lot of cooking with a trangia burner and no faffing about feeding twigs, waiting for the stove to cool etc.

But the faffing around with twigs etc is the whole reason to get a Wood burning stove and part of the enjoyment :)

Last edited:

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
trying to remember my early DIY days........ isn't there a mesh cloth that people use when soldering? i.e. you wrapped it around the back of the pipe when using the blow torch so you didn't catch things on fire....... something like http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-3030...&qid=1373268850&sr=8-1&keywords=soldering+mat

Can't find the thread right now but someone tried that and it doesn't work - still burns the ground underneath... (previously, that had been my suggestion too)

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
I've used these soldering mats in the past, but after some experiments in the garden, not any more. A soldering mat slows down the heat getting to the ground, and a lot will be dissipated before it does. But heat does still get through, and although the grass might look alright immediately afterwards, it dies off a few days later.

It was a real eye-opener for me. I knew from a similar experiment many years ago that the mini-trangia with no protector will have this effect - the two little circular patches were still visible the following year - but a wood burner with the mats left a slightly more diffuse, but similarly dead patch within a few days. So I thought I was leaving no trace, but the ill-effects only showed up after I had gone.

So now I either find a rock, or I just don't use a wood burner.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE