What do you do with your wild mushrooms?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Hi all,

I'm a long-time forager who has eaten a wide variety of fungi over the years (more than 80 species), but I'm no chef. I dry penny buns and bay boletes for use during the rest of the year but everything else just goes in my frying pan. Reliable, but a bit repetitive. I'm looking for some suggestions of other things I might try doing with them (where "them" means any of the edible species).

Geoff

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
What about mushroom risotto or stroganoff, pizza toppings or maybe coating them with a tempura batter, and dipping them into a spicey dip etc ? :D

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Grill them for a change, oven bake stuffed with rice or even as i do with bacon and cheese, use large fieldies as a substitute for burgers, grill on the bbq then top with sliced cheese and place on a bun (super delish) there's alsorts you can do with mushrooms :D

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Pickled mushrooms with a bit of garlic and chilli pepper, just bung them in the vinegar jar raw.
I'm not the biggest fan of cooked mushrooms but I like these.

paolo

Life Member
Dec 30, 2009
Veneto, Northeastern Italy
I must admit that my favourite mushroom recipe is a risotto with mushrooms (boletus edulis preferred) and this. (here is zucca how do you call this, pumpkin or squash?)
I have sometimes made also some great lasagne with the same two ingredients.
I could eat mushrooms every day... one of my favourite foods..

Sep 23, 2010
Oxfordshire
Hello, I've just registered here - some of you already know me from elsewhere.

I eat more risotto than is good for me, but anything can go in it. If I have a good haul, I often make soup and freeze some - shaggy parasols make a really fantastic soup, but anything could go in. It's good to have something in reserve for when the supplies stop coming in!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE