Mushroom and newt ID

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Yesterday we went for a walk in Arnside and Silverdale AONB at a site that I believe is natural england maintained or by some other wildlife protection group. Open fields over limestone rocks which gets grazed by cattle at times. There was what looked like field mushrooms at first but then we saw them wide and flat but still perfectly white on the top. It had reddish pink gills. There were loads dotted everywhere. Some were up to say 3" and rounded just like the mushrooms in the shop but pinkish instead of brown gills. The larger ones looked like those that had rolled out and grown to be up to 10" in think diameter and flatter head than field mushrooms.

Anyone have a clue what it could be and whether safe to eat. I would never pick fungi to eat unless I was 100% sure I knew what they were. Basically I wouldn't at all. Not even shaggy ink caps I can identify. I am just curious.

Second spot I'm curious about was under a large log. My partner made me roll it over to see what bugs are underneath as our son was interested. We saw a newt. It was very lethargic until I picked it up then it started moving. A lot slower than lizards. It was a full, black or dark grey on top and most of it. Underneath there was a dull yellow to orange colour with the same colour as the top in spots. The skin was slightly rough surfaced but not quite toad like but the hint of tiny round warts is how I think it looked.

I'm guessing it was female because it had no flatness to it's tail like I believe males do to some degree in the best species we have. Length was about the size of the palm of my hand, perhaps a little smaller. I've got average sized hands BTW.

After getting a close look we rolled the log back gently then introduced the newt back to underneath the log. It went straight under. I didn't want to pick it up but we couldn't roll the log over and guarantee it wouldn't crush the newt. Lovely critter and it made our walk!!

If anyone can identify these two things that interested us from my descriptions I'd appreciate it.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
From description alone, it is almost impossible to give you a positive ID. If you can get pics, of top, underside, stem and general location (ie, if it was in a feild, or under a certain tree), folk may be able to give you more of an idea of what you're finding.

Reactions: Toddy

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
TBH it's hard enough to tell fungi apart when they're in your hand let alone from a description. To be 100% sure of a white mushroom identification you will need to look carefully at the point where the stem comes out of the ground; is there any kind of little 'cup'? as well as all it's other features - I wouldn't trust any identification based on description though.

As for the newt, it sounds like you found a Great Crested Newt although smooth newts have some orange but not 'bumpy' skin. If it is a GCN I think you need a licence to handle them :); they're certainly heavily protected.

Reactions: Toddy

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I do believe Field Mushrooms start off pink before turning brown but also your description is similar to the Yellow Stainer too (which is poisonous btw).

Did you get any pics?

OLO
www.onelifeoverland.com
I did but don't have anyway to post them. You need a hosting site right?

I thought it might be impossible with just a description. I'll look into getting my pictures up and reply tonight.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
TBH it's hard enough to tell fungi apart when they're in your hand let alone from a description. To be 100% sure of a white mushroom identification you will need to look carefully at the point where the stem comes out of the ground; is there any kind of little 'cup'? as well as all it's other features - I wouldn't trust any identification based on description though.

As for the newt, it sounds like you found a Great Crested Newt although smooth newts have some orange but not 'bumpy' skin. If it is a GCN I think you need a licence to handle them :); they're certainly heavily protected.
In that case it wasn't and I never handled it!!!!

Reactions: Broch
In that case it wasn't and I never handled it!!!!
I believe that as a European Protected Species you even need a licence if you 'might' be planning to do something that 'might' disturb them - clearly that has to be intentional though. Not one of us has a crystal ball so if you turn over a log and happen upon one then I would get that recorded as you may well have spotted one in a previously unknown location, and that is a good thing.

OLO
www.onelifeoverland.com

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
It's an area where quite a few trees but cut down, large trees at that. Broadleaf trees but I'm not sure what since no leaf and I'm not able to id from bark. Right now it's a mix of piles of branches and sections of trunk. Stumps everywhere. It's been heavily disturbed over the last couple of years. It's good that nature survives that.

Are all UK newt species protected or just great created newt. I assume it's a female without the crest or flattened tail?

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Just looked on the ARC website and it isn't great crested because it was too small less than 10cm. There's a photo on the following website that looks close to what we saw. The pictures with the newt I'm the water didn't look anything close to it but there's a land based shot that looks close but the spots didn't look as obvious apart from between the front and rear legs.

I think it's the smooth newt, Lissotriton vulgaris.

ARC smooth newt link

Photo 13 is close to what we saw but it was darker overall. Nearer black over the back and legs. The photo is still a bit light.

The palmate newt is also smaller and about the size we saw but none of the photos on the ARC website showed the slight roughness to the skin. Palmates look a little smoother.

According to ARC smooth newt is protected against sale and trade in the UK. I'm Northern Ireland they have more protection, they're fully protected against killing, injuring, capturing, disturbance, possession or trade. Palmates are just protected for sale and trade.

Smooth newts are more widely spread but palmates are mostly in acidic areas like bogs. Arnside and Silverdale AONB is mostly a limestone area so not acidic surface water I think.

I think I was looking at a smooth newt. Either way the area is within their species range but there's few recent records. I think it might be worth contacting ARC to get their comments. Even if I can't be sure of the species, if it's significant then I'm sure one of their local volunteers or members could check things out. If we found it an expert probably could too. It might be significant if they're in the area.

I believe a parcel of land that's near us that IIRC British houses and the northern powerhouse has taken on to get the development moving was well known locally to have great crested newts on. It's certainly been on hold for several years before Northern powerhouse took it on to push through initial planning stages. They've been in control for about 3 years with nothing going on. With luck it'll not go on ahead.

The cute thing was very lethargic. Didn't move when touched only when I picked it up to allow the log you go back. It slowly started moving and ended up moving faster. I do not believe I have done anything illegal in handling it as I have not sold or traded it. From the ARC website there was no mention of needing a license to handle. I'll take the fine over crushing it when rolling the log back into place if I get pinged for it, unlikely.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Observation today was nearer home. A metal bar type fence between play field and canal towpath has grass and a little vegetation brushing at the fenceline. Our dog found it but only sniffed it not kill it. It was small and conker brown with a round nose and short tail. It's about the size of a young or small rat however it must be a bike with a round nose AIUI.

Everything I know about voles involve my numerous sightings of field and bank voles. This was significantly larger than those. It makes me wonder whether young rats can have bike shaped noses because the only other option I can think of is that we saw a water vole. I thought there rare and I'd not have expected to see them on the banks of a canal by over a metre from the water of a canal near the edge of a small town where there's a busy towpath separating them from the water.

Just to describe the area better. It's the Lancaster canal and just north of where canal boats are moored. The towpath between it and the water is busy as a shortcut around that part of town and a popular dog walk and other types of walkers. It was hiding in grass a foot high and it was not trying hard to escape. I could have caught it. I think poisoned somehow. Nearby I've seen an otter on two occasions and deer often come down to the waters edge on the other side of the canal around there. Nature is around. However I cannot believe water voles live there. Which begs the question what was it if not a water vole?

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
BTW I didn't have my phone with me so no photos. I could have easily got good, close-up photos of I had my phone. It was blustery and the critter read not being very mobile.

It looks just like the top photograph on this link.

Water Vole

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Do you have a photo showing its tail. It looks very close to what we saw but the tail will convince me it's a water Vole. I'm struggling to believe it is because I can't see the canal being a good habitat for it plus I always thought it's very rare in the UK.

I don't recall seeing any signs of feeding. It was very lethargic and really only moved a little along the fences line about a foot at a time. I've seen smaller voles and they moved a lot quicker than this one.

The worst thing about that sighting was after seeing a guy walking a beagle the other side of the fence. He was looking over curiously so I said it dog found a vole. I told him so he kept his dog away. He didn't! Took the dog over to find it and said it was strange he hadn't found it by now, he loves killing them. It was still there so I reckon it's been killed by now.

Dec 10, 2015
South Wales
You’ll be surprised where they do live. In Scotland some live on a football pitch in the middle of a housing estate. I’ve got them on top of the mountains in the Welsh valleys. Even seen them living next to a council tip with a small ditch running by.
3BBA6A09-CEFC-4F0A-AA57-95920C232A61.jpeg

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
It's a water vole for sure. I'm certain I saw one of those.

Just how rare are they? If they're loving in locations as varied as that then they don't sound like an animal that is in trouble to me. I'd have thought habitat would be limited if they're rare.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE