What Do You Do? Invasive Species

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Juveniles. Pythons grow very very quickly, and in no time are too big even for the largest of King's. King cobras feed almost exclusively on other snakes, even their own.

Interesting, learnt something new today :)

That's one brave man to be handling that

This is not a big one...

King+Cobra.jpg

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
We're not outside nature. We like to think we are, but we're part of it.

I'd be the last to disagree with that. And I take your point that our actions are also part of natural evolution. But you have to agree that we've evolved to a point where our actions cause change too swiftly to be counterbalanced by other natural factors as would otherwise happen.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I'd be the last to disagree with that. And I take your point that our actions are also part of natural evolution. But you have to agree that we've evolved to a point where our actions cause change too swiftly to be counterbalanced by other natural factors as would otherwise happen.

Only from our very limited point of reference. It'll all even itself out given time.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
LOL. If by "in time" you mean when we finally evolve ourselves to extinction, yes. But the point is we want to avoid that.

...but we won't.

My point is there's a vast universe out there. We, on our little blue marble are probably akin to termites on a termite mound contemplating our impact on the vastness of the plain....

Thing go extinct, things evolve. In the grand scheme of things we selfishly destroy and we selfishly protect.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
King cobra's are a species of snake separate from all the others. They are the only snake that growls or barks, and apart from the black mamba, are the only species that show a higher level of intelligence. Speaking from experience, and these snakes are my speciality, I am in awe of them. They are the only snake that look at your hands and back to your eyes when assessing you, and they do this all the time. Other snakes look only at the head as that is where the danger comes from in terms of teeth and beaks of animals that pose a threat. King cobra's have learned that humans pose a different threat and that the hands pose as much threat as the head, and that the head can give away what the hands may do. They assess and calculate, no other snake does this. In fact they go one step further and look at the hand and the object in the hand.

This is worth checking out....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCNJiXnYBVI

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I have seen that before, but it is great to watch it again. the way the snake looks away from the camera to the person holding it is something very few animals would do, even birds or mammals. Gorgeous thing.

I can't help but imagine the panic responses you would get from the authorities to a loose King Cobra.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I've caught a few... er.. non native species in the UK. Quite a lot of venomous ones too, but never a King. Not even the illegal breeders and captive sellers will mess with them.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Santaman, you say you carry a sidearm. Then blow away any python you see perhaps.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Santaman, you say you carry a sidearm. Then blow away any python you see perhaps.

That's generally what I do with all snakes other than King Snakes. And Florida opened the Everglades to Python hunting especially for them. That said, we can't seem to kill enough of them (Pythons) fast enough to make a real dent. Just like feral hogs and coyotes.

But I asked what would YOU do?

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
That's generally what I do with all snakes other than King Snakes. And Florida opened the Everglades to Python hunting especially for them. That said, we can't seem to kill enough of them (Pythons) fast enough to make a real dent. Just like feral hogs and coyotes.

But I asked what would YOU do?

Exactly what you'd do if I had the firepower

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Am I the only one who's also well impressed with the snakes road safety awareness? I see mums with pushchairs and kids on bikes not to mention earphone wearing joggers that don't have the sence to travel along the side of a busy road well out of harms way like this clever snake is doing. I'll bet it's not long until they have learned to press the button and wait for the green light before they cross lol :)

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Step backwards slowly and careful, until out of striking distance, then turn and Run, FAST! Just looking at the photos is making my skin crawl :( Am fine with spiders (I welcome false widow spiders into my home), but snakes scare the **** out of me. Just the sight of them, YARHG! *shudder*.

Julia

kennyboy

Jul 15, 2009
N.Ireland
King cobra's are a species of snake separate from all the others. They are the only snake that look at your hands and back to your eyes when assessing you, and they do this all the time. They assess and calculate, no other snake does this. In fact they go one step further and look at the hand and the object in the hand

Health & Safety gone mad. They even have a snake doing risk assesment. What's next? High viz and hard hat?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE