What do you call porridge thats left to 'set' and eaten like a cake?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
No i don't just mean yesterdays porridge, although thats probably what it was originally :)

Its something i'v often done with the mornings breakfast porridge (i always do too much) and had it with my lunch or for supper when out walking
But i'm sure its a traditional recipe too....any pointers?

Cheers......adam

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
I think I'd probably call it 'Just as bad as before it sets'......strange I enjoy oat type cakes and biscuits but have never been able to get along with porridge regardless of the way it is made, I wish I liked it.

D.B.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Lunch.

:rolleyes:

I suppose it's really porridge polenta.
Folks used to fry it with breakfast like hash browns or tattie scones.

I admit I like it, but I like oatmeal porridge and am not keen on the rolled oats stuff the boys guzzle.

M

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Thanks folks
Thats surprised me though. I really thought there was gonna be a traditional recipe with a common name i could look up (bit like eskimos having 9 words for snow :) )

Rorymax, i thought a "scunner" was sommat rab c nesbit might shout at the wee scally kids on his estate?

Mary, if you are frying it would that be made with just water and no milk?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Reply to Sunndog.

Well mine is, but I can't drink milk now. My Mum and my Granny made their porridge with half milk and half water and salt. No sugar. It's how I made it until I couldn't digest milk.
It works both ways to fry it, but you can't keep it for a week without refrigerating it if you use milk.
Well, you can just that it goes sour.

Honestly, it's very good cut into squares and just eaten cold. It's one of those slow chewing/eating foods. Good for you, fills you up, give slow release energy. S'all good :D

On t'other hand, I made oaties for the boys…think muesli bars/flapjacks….if they were going out for the day.

Oats, raisins, honey, butter, maybe a bit of ginger added. Quick to make, tasty to eat, keeps really well (that's relative; if they know that I've baked them, they're gone :rolleyes:)

The thing with real porridge is that it takes time to cook, so when folks were working long hours, it was easiest to make up a big batch and let most of it set. Then just cut slices off that for breakfast or lunch through the working week.

M

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Hmmm, seems like i'v been doing it the traditional way all along then
Not sure i fancy fried milk tbh but i'll try it :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Just made a batch of oaties for the morning :)
60g butter
60g soft brown sugar
50g honey (or syrup if you prefer)
30g ground almonds/ chopped nuts (or just use all oats)
170g rolled oats
Tspfl of vanilla essence or use ginger/cinnamon
Handful of raisins. (miss these out if you're carrying the oaties, or they crumble a bit much)

Use a microwaveable bowl and it's all quickly done.

Melt butter and honey+sugar (one minute in three 20sec bursts in mine)
Stir in everything else.
Press evenly into a baking tray, (I use silicon lined these days) middle sized, about 8 x 10 or thereabouts.
Bake at 180C for just over fifteen minutes.
Set aside to cool, cut into sections.
There won't be any left by the time I get home tomorrow afternoon :D

M

Last edited:

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I was going to make a facetious comment like, "disgusting" until I read the other replies. They have given me food for thought- pun intended!

For years we used to make flapjack as travel food, but my wife has developed digestive problems with fats. I used to have a recipe for flapjack using olive oil instead of butter but have lost it. The above recipes have got me thinking that there may be a way of making a biscuit-like substitute for the traditional flapjack that could be used as waybread but without fat content. I intend to use some of the suggested ideas to experiment and look forward to more suggestion on this excellent thread. Thanks Sunndog!

The experiment starts tomorrow with a double batch of the usual morning porridge with half left to cool.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Probably teaching you to suck eggs here, but….
If your wife can manage dates, then you can substitute softened (soak them in just enough water to cover, simmer them soft, and then mash then up) date pulp for butter.
I can't eat butter either now, and almost all dairy free margarine is horrible. Dates or apple sauce are the classic alternatives in baking for fat free. If it's just dairy free, then humous (minus garlic for sweet foods) or tahini works fine too.

25 past 11 at night, and I'm hungry :rolleyes:

M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
John Fenna's not far from the coconut with "piece". Especially in N.E. Scotland you have two types of piece you carry to work. Anything like rowies, sarnies, pies/bridies, plain set porridge are your "piece". Things like iced-pastries, cakes and the likes are your "fancy-piece".
Most folk, even other Scots don't get it.
I can't think of a specific other name for it at the moment it was either a piece, bit or slice of porridge. Unless you were going swimming then anything to eat afterwards was your "shivery-bite". :D

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I know about pieces, and fancy pieces too :D We got play pieces for school break as well.

M

Aye a jeely-piece wrapped in the waxed paper Mothers Pride bag. Chucked out the window by yer mum. :D
(We'll have to break out the Jeely-piece wrapped song now.)
It was more the fancy piece name that doesn't seem to get used outside the N.E. I was meaning.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE