Two Nights at Glyn Y Mul

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hypnagog

Nov 12, 2012
Essex
hotchpotchblog.wordpress.com
I went to Glyn Y Mul with a couple of others for a weekend of food, fire, good company and a bit of bushcraft.

My first trip there taught me a lot about what kit to take (because I didn't take the right stuff and ended up cold, miserable and bailed out after one night!) and so after a year or so of going out to various places and being comfortable I wanted to go back and do things properly.

My first trip out: http://hotchpotchblog.wordpress.com/2012/12/31/wild-camping-with-cpap/

The kit I took this time:

p1000576-e1384782062944.jpg

p1000577-e1384782372769.jpg

p1000578-e1384782414104.jpg

Sleep
Snugpak Softie Elite 5 Sleeping Bag
Bivi Bag
Small travel pillow (absolutely pointless and ended up using my coat)
Thermorest XTherm sleeping mat

Shelter
DD 3x3 Brown Tarp (with extra pegs)
IPK sheet
Two trekking poles

Cooking
Stainless steel bottle (Pathfinder)
Stainless steel mug (Pathfinder)
14cm Billy Can
Hexi Stove (for the first coffee of the morning)
Lid from a can of potatoes to act as a lid for the mug

Clothing
Thermal base layer
Craghopper winter lined trousers
Couple of T-shirts
Wool jumper
Coat (nothing special)
Folding poncho (to go over everything if needed)
Wellies
Spare socks
Clean shirt

Sharps
Gerber Combo Axe
Mora Robust (didn't use)
Neck knife
Folding saw
Folding trowel

Water
Katadyn Mini
Millbank type bag
Purification tablets (boiled, so didn't use, but like to have them)

Bits and Pieces
First Aid Kit (adapted) (larger kit in the car)
Alcohol hand gel
Wash kit
Head Torch and Spare Batteries
Tarred Twine
Plant ID book
Printed OS Map of the surrounding area
Camera
"Comfort" Bottle

Fire
Spark Stick
Fire piston
Charcloth in a tin
Lighter
Couple of sticks of fatwood
Tinder Card
Fire Biscuits
Twine

Snacks
Coffee
Chocolate bars
Porridge
Orange fizzy vitamin C tablets (nice to flavour some water with too)
Peanuts
Home made biltong
Mug shots
Hip flask
Red Wine carton

...and my CPAP kit.

That's pretty much it for my kit, unless I've forgotten something.

We took communal food along:

Flour
Diced Beef (frozen)
Pigeon Breasts (frozen)
Redcurrant Jelly
Mushrooms
Instant Mushroom Risotto
Porridge
Rainbow Trout
Stew pack of vegetables
Small tubs of honey

The approach to the railway line:

p1000570-e1384778008682.jpg

The river:

p1000487-e1384781144872.jpg

I don't remember part of the path down by the river having stones on it, so maybe they'd been put there since to help with the bogginess of the path.

p1000502-e1384780613546.jpg

We found a spot and set up camp. I went for the same tarptent setup as I did when I camped out last month in Sussex.

p1000442-e1384779025861.jpg

Some damp firewood let everyone know where we were.

There was plenty of space inside and I wasn't too shut off from seeing the outside world... not a bad night time view...

p1000417-e1384779281500.jpg

The moon was bright and lit up our little clearing.

This time there was plenty of condensation on the inside of my setup both mornings and I managed to shift in the night so that I was breathing right up against the wall so it ended up dripping down on me.

I think that next time I use that configuration I'll sleep lengthways in the tarptent, rather than widthways, with my head near the door.

Each night I was visited by a slug! I helpfully moved it on its way back into the open and it repaid this kindness by sliming my tarp!

photo-1-e1384779560311.jpg

p1000551-e1384778555994.jpg

We had enough bottled water for a day, so filtered and boiled some of the water from the river.

I used the Katadyn Mini which is nice and light and produced clear water, but took a while to fill two 14cm Billy Cans.

Then I had a go at using my Millbank bag.

I let it soak for about 10-15 minutes...

p1000469-e1384779415415.jpg

Then we tied it to a tree and let it do its work...

p1000470-e1384779470193.jpg

The Millbank bag was definitely easier but the water from it wasn't as bright as from the Katadyn.

We boiled all the water and set about preparing dinner: Pigeon in redcurrant sauce with mushroom risotto and pasta.

p1000397-e1384779926670.jpg

I slept well the first night, but was very warm so left my sleeping bag completely unzipped.

The temp dropped to 4.6ºC overnight according to the little weather station we had. I did put down a reflective windscreen thing before putting the XTherm mat on top, whether it made any difference or not I don't know, but it was warm!

Breakfast was fresh coffee (thanks to those plunger cups that one of us bought along) and damper bread...

p1000464-e1384780279861.jpg

We pottered around for the day, tried out different methods of firelighting, looked at the plant-life, had a few coffees etc.

One of our party makes walking sticks, so he showed how to straighten and curve sticks over the fire using damp paper towel.

The plan was to smoke the trout for lunch but none of us was hungry - I'd definitely take less food next time, so much so that the evening's planned beef stew and mash felt too much so we just skewered the beef onto some de-barked hazel and kebabed them.

p1000524-e1384780926144.jpg

p1000529-e1384780794223.jpg

A couple of nips from various hip-flasks and we all headed to our tents for an early night (maybe due to the darkness, maybe due to the whisky from the day before).

An owl hooting woke me up a few times (excellent), but no more than being warm woke me up. It was very warm, uncomfortably so, so I opened the sleeping bag again and ditched the bivi bag, using it only as a groundsheet. It was irritating, but at least I know that I'm not on the edge of the temp zone for my sleeping gear. I'd rather be able to open the bag to cool down than to have a different bag and be cold without being able to do anything about it. Although I did keep wondering if I could have got away with my Softie 9 Hawk bag.

In the morning I was surprised to see that the second night was colder than the first... 0.9ºC

p1000558-e1384781476770.jpg

A quick coffee and a tidy up then we headed home via Leigh Delamare services for a monster breakfast. The kit is all clean again now and ready for the next one.

On the subject of cleaning, I'm planning on taking a good metal scourer or some wire wool next time to clean the inside of the billy can as the single bit of green scourer stuff wasn't up to doing all of our kit.

I'd definitely take less food. Probably we'll each take our own food next time. I also considered charging my camera and phone from my CPAP battery, but I'd hate to find that I was without my CPAP for a night because I'd drained it charging things.

I'd really appreciate any tips, or comments re kit, setup etc.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

Hypnagog

Nov 12, 2012
Essex
Thought this place was now closed???

It was for a while. It re-opened on a "smaller scale" according to their website.

We had a short closure in 2012 but are now accepting campers again on a slightly smaller scale and with a little less in the way of facilities.

Please be aware that the site is strictly advanced bookings only, don’t just turn up. We only take limited numbers here.

http://home.btconnect.com/glyn-y-mul-farm/

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hi Hypnagog, great report and pics, loving your kit list, can't pick holes in that, you have even given me an idea as to maybe mod my axe!

don't want to put a dampner on your thread, but i too had heard they had closed, also spoke to a few who had been recently(ish) and they said it was all boggy and horrible, that there was not a twig available to forage for fire.

Tell me different please, also if you and a couple of mates are planning do something similar in the future give me a shout, you can stay for nowt.

Regards.

Ivan...

Hypnagog

Nov 12, 2012
Essex
Thanks guys.

Hi Hypnagog, great report and pics, loving your kit list, can't pick holes in that, you have even given me an idea as to maybe mod my axe!

don't want to put a dampner on your thread, but i too had heard they had closed, also spoke to a few who had been recently(ish) and they said it was all boggy and horrible, that there was not a twig available to forage for fire.

Tell me different please, also if you and a couple of mates are planning do something similar in the future give me a shout, you can stay for nowt.

Regards.

Ivan...

A section of the main path was a bit boggy (before the bridge), but just past that there were large stones on it which helped.

The pitches themselves were pretty firm. We were the only ones there, so not sure how much it had been used recently.

We had a wander round and found quite a bit of fallen dead wood, but yes, most was damp, so we left it around our fire to dry out. It all burned eventually. There is plenty of dead dry bracken for kindling though.

What axe mod have you got in mind?

That's a really generous offer, thank you and one that I'll take you up on if that's okay.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Thanks guys.

A section of the main path was a bit boggy (before the bridge), but just past that there were large stones on it which helped.

The pitches themselves were pretty firm. We were the only ones there, so not sure how much it had been used recently.

We had a wander round and found quite a bit of fallen dead wood, but yes, most was damp, so we left it around our fire to dry out. It all burned eventually. There is plenty of dead dry bracken for kindling though.

What axe mod have you got in mind?

That's a really generous offer, thank you and one that I'll take you up on if that's okay.

Thanks fo the reply, helpful, i too have a Gerber and you look like you have sawn yours off to be much shorter? Thought about it but was worried how it might affect it's operation.

And you are welcome to come and have a camp at one of my permissions.

Ivan...

Hypnagog

Nov 12, 2012
Essex
Thanks fo the reply, helpful, i too have a Gerber and you look like you have sawn yours off to be much shorter? Thought about it but was worried how it might affect it's operation.

And you are welcome to come and have a camp at one of my permissions.

Ivan...

The axe came like that. It has a stowaway knife in the handle.

Not sure I'd get the same one again as I've never used the knife though.

The axe itself is nice and compact and still is able to split logs.

The specs are here:

Item # 31-001054
Axe:
Overall Length: 22.2 cm
Blade Length: 6.9 cm
Weight: 669.1 g
Head: Forged Steel
Handle: Gator-Grip
Knife:
Overall Length: 17.8 cm
Blade Length: 7.3 cm
Weight: 56.7 g

http://www.gerbergear.co.uk/Hunting/Gear/Gator-Combo-Axe-_31-001054

Gator-Combo-Axe_ful.jpg

Thanks again, really generous and I'll PM you when we get our act together again to go out. Cheers.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
The axe came like that. It has a stowaway knife in the handle.

Not sure I'd get the same one again as I've never used the knife though.

The axe itself is nice and compact and still is able to split logs.

The specs are here:

Item # 31-001054
Axe:
Overall Length: 22.2 cm
Blade Length: 6.9 cm
Weight: 669.1 g
Head: Forged Steel
Handle: Gator-Grip
Knife:
Overall Length: 17.8 cm
Blade Length: 7.3 cm
Weight: 56.7 g

http://www.gerbergear.co.uk/Hunting/Gear/Gator-Combo-Axe-_31-001054

View attachment 25302

Thanks again, really generous and I'll PM you when we get our act together again to go out. Cheers.

AAH! Cheers me being dim! Thats how it came, might wait before i take the hacksaw to mine then, i really like mine like it is, but when i thought you had discovered the way forward and i wanted part of it!

Ivan...

Hypnagog

Nov 12, 2012
Essex
AAH! Cheers me being dim! Thats how it came, might wait before i take the hacksaw to mine then, i really like mine like it is, but when i thought you had discovered the way forward and i wanted part of it!

Ivan...

Alas, it wasn't my doing, but the Gerber people. Just as well as if I tried to mod an axe I'd probably make a "hatchet job" of it. *gets coat... and leaves*

Hypnagog

Nov 12, 2012
Essex
hi hypnagog any chance of the link on where to get your cpap machine regards dave

I have two that I've bought.

I have the Resmed S9 Autoset which I bought directly from Resmed in Abingdon.
http://shop.realsleep.co.uk/s9-autoset-p-348.html

I also bought Respironics equivalent for travelling as it doesn't have the large in-line power brick that the S9 has when running off 12v.
I got mine from Intus Healthcare - eu-pap.
http://www.eu-pap.co.uk/system-one-remstar-60-auto-cpap.html

If it's any help I'll put each machine on the kitchen scales to see how they compare.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Do you have any better shots of how you pitched your tarp as in this photo? It's a tarp shape I've not come across before, and am wondering if it would suit me in winter.

p1000442-e1384779025861.jpg

Thanks

J

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Looks like a good trip. Thank you for taking the time to document it.

Nice to see the bag in action.

Last edited:

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
Really enjoyed that. I don't think you took too much food, you just come home a day early:). You kebabs looked lovely. Thanks for posting this.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE