What did you buy today?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
No idea; not worked out how to open the battery hatch yet. Seems to be in good condition though.

And its the 2010 copy, sadly.

What you got to trade for it? I really should not be accumulating stuff that is not useful.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
At last! Second hand, but only two years old, one of those pull over motor bike garages. I've no idea what they are realy called, but it was only £50, and they are several hundred new.
So, even tho the monster susuki is gone, I now have decent winter cover for the little 750 virago.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
No idea; not worked out how to open the battery hatch yet. Seems to be in good condition though.

And its the 2010 copy, sadly.

What you got to trade for it? I really should not be accumulating stuff that is not useful.
Not for me, but thank you. I’m the same at car boot sales and have recently got rid of tons of accumulated stuff I’ll never get round to using.

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
A firemaple x3 jetboil type stove. Ordered this morning and just delivered from amazon. New vehicle stove and it works fine so far with the larger c500 gas cannisters

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
This dagger by Tod Cutler.
When one can not carry a weapon one can at least carry a (almost) foot long dagger. (Joking of course). We are not allowed to carry a dagger around town.

TC1Rondel_9_1000x1000.jpg

Last edited:

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
What I would like to buy today is clotted cream. Saw it in the movie Phantom Thread where Daniel Day-Lewis had it on scones for breakfast. Looked tasty.

Reactions: Macaroon

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Be very careful @Herman30

To assemble scone, jam and clotted cream is to make a tribal declaration.
Do you put the jam on the cream or the cream on the jam!!!!

There is some nonsense about the county of origin but that wasn’t in evidence when I first experienced a cream tea.

In my opinion the clotted cream was originally used in the same way that we use butter in a sandwich and the jam goes on top but what do I know, I’m a flatlander from the Midlands.
The scone arrived with the railways and mass tourism as a new batch could be made much quicker than the original bread bun - Thus spake Ruth Goodman. :notworthy2:

grainweevil

Forager
Feb 18, 2023
Cornwall
Its awesome.

Im sure you can make it at home; I dont know how.
My folks used to make it from the "top of the milk" - Gold top Channel Island milk, so super creamy - in a shallow casserole dish. Unfortunately I was too young to have grasped the details, my mum is gone, and my dad's memory is not what it was. But yes, it's a lot easier than you might imagine. Mainly a case of time to allow the milk to settle. Usually the stumbling block has been being able to obtain milk creamy enough, but that may be easier again these days perhaps. Dunno. I'm not that keen on it, to be honest.

As for scones, only the unenlightened would choose them given a choice. It's just convenience for the commercial market that scones have become a thing. In Cornwall, the "split", a small bread-like roll, used to be the solution. The beauty of them being that they're not nearly as rich as scones, so you can eat that much more cream. But best not ask for either for breakfast unless you desire to be viewed as a candidate for "daftest emmet I met today" amongst the catering and waiting staff.

(Regarding the jam/cream "controversy", it's easy to remember: The Devonians feel the need to hide their cream under the jam. I'm not saying it's inferior, but you may draw your own conclusions... ;) )

Meanwhile, today I bought a freshly caught local mackerel from our mobile fishmonger and had it for lunch. It was *chef's kiss*

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE