What did you buy today?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hodge

Forager
Aug 3, 2018
West Midlands
I actually have not tried it yet tbh.
I was fed up with the original keep drying out, I am not a smoker per se
But do use them often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have the same issue with drying out as I do not smoke. Have tried encasing lighter in inner tube and placed vaseline between inner and outer casing as well as storing in a sealed plastic bag. Is yours a Zippo brand insert?

Terry.m.

Forager
Dec 2, 2014
Kent
Well yes a Zippo butane insert off Amazon , put in and works a treat, makes it heavier though.!
So will use it and see how it goes
On my one cigar a month !.
I have quite a few different lighters
Seems like I am getting more lighters than knives,!!! Well not really.!

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Cheers, I needed to get some in so I bought it here instead :)
Update: mine arrived this morning and just got around to doing a test burn.
Definitely low end Grade II, wear gloves when opening/ handling.
If you've never had this stuff before the smell is somewhere between sulphur & stale cat urine on the gak scale.
Outdoor use only but probably a great midge deterrent.

Slight sooting buildup on the base of tilley mantle but the thing runs hotter than hades and burns it off just as fast.
Cold draft storm lanterns obviously a little more prone to smoking so adjust as necessary, light output about the same.
Multi-Fuel stoves, you will want a tight lid on the pot or need to get used to the added flavour.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Thanks for the heads up Bishop, mine arrived this morning as well just hadn't had a chance to do a burn test yet.

Luckily I was planning on using it for outdoor use in my storm lanterns so I'll bear in mind what you said.

Update: mine arrived this morning and just got around to doing a test burn.
Definitely low end Grade II, wear gloves when opening/ handling.
If you've never had this stuff before the smell is somewhere between sulphur & stale cat urine on the gak scale.
Outdoor use only but probably a great midge deterrent.

Slight sooting buildup on the base of tilley mantle but the thing runs hotter than hades and burns it off just as fast.
Cold draft storm lanterns obviously a little more prone to smoking so adjust as necessary, light output about the same.
Multi-Fuel stoves, you will want a tight lid on the pot or need to get used to the added flavour.

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
Bought this pewter hip flask for £3 at car boot today any tips for cleaning it inside I might get a bottle brush for the neck?

Attachments

• IMG_20200728_194055.jpg
    IMG_20200728_194055.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 12

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Well yes a Zippo butane insert off Amazon , put in and works a treat, makes it heavier though.!
So will use it and see how it goes
On my one cigar a month !.
I have quite a few different lighters
Seems like I am getting more lighters than knives,!!! Well not really.!

I‘ve had a Z-Plus insert in my Zippo for years, apart from needing an occasional clean to the spark tip and base with a cotton bud and some lighter fuel it’s been good.

I have fallen for a few lighters too, the Douglass Field S and it’s companions. The Field S is good for weeks on a fill, the Neo range are cool, but only the double capped Neo 2 really holds fuel.

Reactions: moocher

Hodge

Forager
Aug 3, 2018
West Midlands
Ordered a canvas and wool blanket from Journeyman Bushcraft and a frying pan pouch from David Friars. The blanket will be used when I get in and out of the hammock during the night.

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
Had a bit of luck on a nice small carpentry bench with two vices, advertised for £30 on facebook. Contacted seller but was already spoken for. So thought I had missed out but buyer decided it was to big seller contacted me and made my day. Best bit it turned out to be in the next street down from me so no travel distance involved and fits in the shed perfectly :camping: woodwork bench.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE