What did you buy today?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
For Butterflies. Obviously.

( Why do we call them BUTTERflies????? )

I always thought flutterby was a better name for them. And indeed, as a small child insisted that was what they were called. It seemed logical to my 3yr old self and i thought the grown ups had it wrong. I still call them that to myself today.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Possibly from the bright yellows of the Colias sp "Sulfur" butterflies?
Not butter and not flies so must be a single word.

From Middle English buterflie, butturflye, boterflye, from Old English butorflēoge, buttorflēoge, buterflēoge (from butere (“butter”)), equivalent to butter +‎ fly. Cognate with Dutch botervlieg, German Butterfliege (“butterfly”). The name may have originally been applied to butterflies of a yellowish color, and/or reflected a belief that butterflies ate milk and butter (compare German Molkendieb (“butterfly”, literally “whey thief”) and Low German Botterlicker (“butterfly”, literally “butter-licker”)), or that they excreted a butter-like substance (compare Dutch boterschijte (“butterfly”, literally “butter-shitter”)). Compare also German Schmetterling from Schmetten (“cream”), German Low German Bottervögel (“butterfly”, literally “butter-fowl”). More at butter, fly.

An alternate theory suggests that the first element may have originally been butor- (“beater”), a mutation of bēatan (“to beat”).[1]

Superseded non-native Middle English papilion (“butterfly”) borrowed from Old French papillon (“butterfly”).

Reactions: Robson Valley

Hodge

Forager
Aug 3, 2018
West Midlands
Put in an order for a water filter.
0e9a8e8e8315f256733cb81a1a951abe.jpg
I have ordered one as my old katadyn filter was out of date and also we can't get iodine tablets any more.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
My jars have finaly arrived and I must correct myself.
They are Ball jars not kilner (killer :)).
They work the same as kilner jars though.
Ready for the crops to mature to fill them now.

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
I ordered a Crosman 1377 yesterday and a couple of custom parts for it today! Trigger finger is getting a bit itchy during lockdown so going to have to use the back garden instead of a range!
feda1326c38ef41eed90d1b364fd4bd0.jpg

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
How many pumps do they take, I often wondered about one of those, I bought the 2240 co2 pistol instead. Got shoulder stock for it. I also have the xl ratcatcher rifle, I had the rabbitstopper but sold it just before free ads stopped taking gun adverts.

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
How many pumps do they take, I often wondered about one of those, I bought the 2240 co2 pistol instead. Got shoulder stock for it. I also have the xl ratcatcher rifle, I had the rabbitstopper but sold it just before free ads stopped taking gun adverts.
Between 3 and 10 pumps but there
seem to be plenty on the internet taking them up to 20 pumps! Still waiting for arrival at the gunshop as parcel force seem a little slow at the moment.

Reactions: moocher

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Between 3 and 10 pumps but there
seem to be plenty on the internet taking them up to 20 pumps! Still waiting for arrival at the gunshop as parcel force seem a little slow at the moment.

Just be glad it's not Hermes; they are the most useless courier out there - they have managed to lose 5 parcels in 4 weeks. They have not delivered a single parcel to us in two months and cannot give any reason at all!

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Just be glad it's not Hermes; they are the most useless courier out there - they have managed to lose 5 parcels in 4 weeks. They have not delivered a single parcel to us in two months and cannot give any reason at all!
Funny, Hermes is one of the better ones for us and during the lockdown the local delivery guy has been great.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE