What did you buy today?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bigboned

Forager
Feb 17, 2016
Ireland
I didn’t buy the base ... it was about £25 .... I will make one tomorrow.... it is only a square piece of wood with a 12mm spigot in the middle .... I am a metal worker and have a lathe / milling machine in my workshop so can knock something up in 5mins :D ..... plus the good thing is.... I am vat registered and bought it through my business so it worked out to about £144 delivered

Great tip thankyou very much

sgtoutback

Nomad
Jun 29, 2010
Near the fundy
Could you let us know your thoughts? I have a good deal of HPG and am eying up the Windcheater to replace my Chinese clone version.

Did you buy it direct or from a UK supplier?
Hello Simon and Chris, will do on lettting you know how i get on. I am living now on the east coast of Canada most of the time, should be here 1st week in January will let you folks know how I get on, I ended up buying the jacket and the ruff a week apart. so will get them about a week apart. I got the V2 model, had borrowed a v1 model last year for a multiday snow shoe trip and was impressed. V2 model has a longer front and differrent cut sleeves so i will see how that works.

edited because i didn't answer the question, I bought it direct

Reactions: tiger stacker

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Hello Simon and Chris, will do on lettting you know how i get on. I am living now on the east coast of Canada most of the time, should be here 1st week in January will let you folks know how I get on, I ended up buying the jacket and the ruff a week apart. so will get them about a week apart. I got the V2 model, had borrowed a v1 model last year for a multiday snow shoe trip and was impressed. V2 model has a longer front and differrent cut sleeves so i will see how that works.

edited because i didn't answer the question, I bought it direct
How does it work for sizing? am normally a uk XL for shoulders and height yet their specs indicate i would need a M/L ?

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Snagged a terrific white canvas Scoutmaster pack from Duluth in their sale a couple of days ago. Sadly, I messed up the delivery details and it has gone to Vancouver rather than Toronto. So, I won't see it til gone the New Year. Can't wait. :)

Also, the Case Swayback I ordered in my annual ritual of buying a Xmas knife arrived safe and sound. It is just a lovely little thing. Very trouserable and sharpens up like nobody's business :)

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
In anticipation of the snow, a snow shovel and a kids plastic sled. Plus a pair of ice grips for my boots. Ready for the fun!

sgtoutback

Nomad
Jun 29, 2010
Near the fundy
C_Claycomb, SiWhite, tiger stacker,

I bought it Direct from HPG, arrived quickly and communication updates etc was great.

The Generation 1 version that I tried on last year was a large and though thet fit was spot on I like a little extra length in the front so when I heard they had lentgthened the front by 2 inches I was pleased, in the uk I wear a large, i.e. a large rab, clothes that are a size 42/17. I got a large because i want to be able to layer underneath and above. Having now received it and had the jacket for about 8 days. In that time I have been out in 2 snow storms, a decent rainshower and temps ranging from -20 with windchill to about 8c. So some first thoughts

Really prefer the front length on this version and the fur ruff has been great out in some wet claggy driving snow, some dry powdery stuff and a pretty nasty wind the other night that according to . Been out in a reasonable blizzard and in -20c with the wind chill and have found it a truly great product. Should have got one years ago. I have walked the dog, snow shoed and bimbled about in the woods, carried a pack and a 5 year old on my shoulders multiple times.

It kept the snow and wind out well, was pretty dry except for a couple of wet out spots but the rain was heavy. The fur ruff takes 5 seconds to swap in and out. The hand pockets are great specially with a beltkit or rucksack on. The zipped pockets take a map gps, compass, snacks etc easily, spare gloves, hats etc easily. The sleeve length is something I normally have issues with being too short and seems to be spot on for me. The underarm ventilation is easy to use and a decent size, I have had issues with various goretex jackets when the underarm vents are either too small or a pain in the bottom to use while geared up.

Sizing with dimensions above I find it can cope with a base layer, microflleece and a thicker fleece with some room left. The fabric is stretchy but not cheap and the cuff tabs seem decent,

I will do a proper review with better pics later.

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Henri Lloyd vintage Viking smock

It looks a bit plum due to my low res camera but is the classic HL red..... Ah the smell of rubberized nylon and sweat!:D

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Bit of a Christmas present cash spend occurred. :):):) I recently lost my Viper gloves due to the Velcro attaching itself to my jumper as I got out of the car. I found the Velcro to be good in use, but I’m often having to take the gloves off for better dexterity, ie: clipping on dog leads, finding keys in pocket, or answering the phone. I’m using a trekking pole every day when out with the dogs and my right hand has been freezing cold so need an easy on/off glove. These aren’t a winter glove, but should be enough to prevent too much wind chill.

A pair of Mechanix Fastfit with elastic cuffs. £14.95 delivered, not bad.

97-A7-DB22-4-A0-C-4-A15-9297-D647-F4-E252-CA.jpg

Grabbed a Brandit M65 Giant jacket while I was on Military 1st, just to see if I like it. They do no quibble free returns so nothing to lose. If I keep it, the Walt labels are coming off!

F508-F49-A-EDAF-43-B7-8-B96-72-EA0137-D6-CB.jpg

Yet another torch on the way too, thank you Santa :)

I chose grey with cyan colour led markers, in neutral white led emitter. Looking forward to this one a lot.

https://intl-outdoor.com/emisar-d4s-26650-high-power-led-flashlight-p-932.html

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I like a smart military jacket, the M65 is a classic, good choice if you end up liking it Nice.

Cheers, its appeal was the worn and distressed look rather than smart. I’m not too keen on the M65 in its original form, though I certainly appreciate how practical it is. This is my second punt at what I’m looking for after the disaster that was the Tactic 9 Gorka. Might as well wear a J-Cloth for all the good that jacket was.

The search began after several days of warm spring weather last year where I was caught out taking the dogs up on the Downs still in t-shirt only to find wind chill and the occasional light shower could really ruin it. I didn’t need my Ventile or Twodogs Rain smocks, but I did need something light with a zip or button front.

We’ll see. If it’s good enough I’ll do a mini review because reviews are thin on the ground.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Bit of a Christmas present cash spend occurred. :):):) I recently lost my Viper gloves due to the Velcro attaching itself to my jumper as I got out of the car. I found the Velcro to be good in use, but I’m often having to take the gloves off for better dexterity, ie: clipping on dog leads, finding keys in pocket, or answering the phone. I’m using a trekking pole every day when out with the dogs and my right hand has been freezing cold so need an easy on/off glove. These aren’t a winter glove, but should be enough to prevent too much wind chill.

A pair of Mechanix Fastfit with elastic cuffs. £14.95 delivered, not bad.

97-A7-DB22-4-A0-C-4-A15-9297-D647-F4-E252-CA.jpg

Grabbed a Brandit M65 Giant jacket while I was on Military 1st, just to see if I like it. They do no quibble free returns so nothing to lose. If I keep it, the Walt labels are coming off!

F508-F49-A-EDAF-43-B7-8-B96-72-EA0137-D6-CB.jpg

Yet another torch on the way too, thank you Santa :)

I chose grey with cyan colour led markers, in neutral white led emitter. Looking forward to this one a lot.

https://intl-outdoor.com/emisar-d4s-26650-high-power-led-flashlight-p-932.html

Ive had an alpha m65 jacket for donkeys years. Its one of my favorites and the most unkillable coat ive ever had
Also use mechanix m-pact gloves as my off road motorbike gloves funnily enough, those are wearing well too

Reactions: Nice65
Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Cheers, its appeal was the worn and distressed look rather than smart. I’m not too keen on the M65 in its original form, though I certainly appreciate how practical it is. This is my second punt at what I’m looking for after the disaster that was the Tactic 9 Gorka. Might as well wear a J-Cloth for all the good that jacket was.

The search began after several days of warm spring weather last year where I was caught out taking the dogs up on the Downs still in t-shirt only to find wind chill and the occasional light shower could really ruin it. I didn’t need my Ventile or Twodogs Rain smocks, but I did need something light with a zip or button front.

We’ll see. If it’s good enough I’ll do a mini review because reviews are thin on the ground.
Snugpak softie maybe? I had the reversible elite its very good, I got it second hand in a large and there cut is generous to start with so a bit too much extra cloth for me, as I size between M & L mostly, and there shower proof.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Snugpak softie maybe? I had the reversible elite its very good, I got it second hand in a large and there cut is generous to start with so a bit too much extra cloth for me, as I size between M & L mostly, and there shower proof.

Bit too much filling, kind of after something loose like a big thick shirt. I did the toss up between the Softie and Keela Belay a few years ago and chose the Keela as a soft shell. It’s been so dry recently it’s all I’ve needed, but it only comes out of the cupboard in winter.

To gently guide the thread back on topic, I did just buy a pair of the Softie trousers. Bit Michelin man to wear, and not really cold enough yet. I do like the pack size of them, not much larger than a beer can. I can see them being camping friendly. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE