What did you buy today?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
A new winter bag as I'm fed up with my down bag getting damp. And also a winter mat. Also bought a pair ofwinter snow boots off a pal for £20 almost brand new. More camping gas and coleman fuel. Bridgedale merino socks and a new fleece jumper. All warm and cosy for winter now!

Reactions: Robson Valley

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Got given huber dachstein mitts as a birthday present today. Curious as to how warm they are and how practical.

Initial thoughts were they might fall off. The wrist cuff didn't seem smaller than the hand part to me. Plus it'll need me to trust that they're windproof due to the dense wool construction.

It's for wearing when not skiing in Norway end of the month Currently about -12°C I think. Skiing I've got primaloft mitts which are proven to be warm.

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
I didn’t buy this technically as my parents bought it for me in Germany for 8 euros .
Lovely little knife quite weighty .

Attachments

• 8F525C61-0CA1-4B29-B491-80B5D04CBA2D.jpeg
    8F525C61-0CA1-4B29-B491-80B5D04CBA2D.jpeg
    25.8 KB · Views: 19

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I ordered an Aclima Hotwool 230g zip neck and light wool beanie from Nordic Outdoors. My elderly Country Covers Arctic Shirt is starting to show its age and while the Aclima is lighter weight, it is also more presentable and less sack-like to wear.

Reactions: tiger stacker

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Ski trousers in a longer leg length to suit my height. Amazingly soft inside layer Insulated and waterproof with a ski boot gaiter in the ankle area. It's going to be a lovely winter leg layer for a ski trip.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Likewise interested in how you get on with the HPG Windcheater.

I have a number of their packs. While their Windcheater looks good in Colorado and Utah I am curious how it would work somewhere with a damper climate. I like my Paramo windproof, and it is light, at 300g, but lacks pockets or ventelation. The Helikon Trooper has pockets and ventilation, but is 643g and not as shower resistant due to use of stretch fabric. HPG Windcheater looks to have pockets, and ventilation, but quoted weight is 680g, which might be a lot if a separate rain shell is needed.

Chris

chandelierman

Forager
Dec 14, 2018
essex
Ooo looking at these myself, would love your thoughts/ build quality etc

I had a Lansky before this but sold it as I didn’t like it ... The KME is much better (it costs 3 times as much so should be) ... it grips the blade better and has a ball joint for the rod to fit into for a more precise action .... i was going to get a Wicked edge but I am only sharpening my own knives now and then and this was cheaper plus the extra stones are 1/2 the price of wicked edge .... I used if today to touch up one of my PM2”s and it is very easy to use ... I got it for £174.99 plus post

bigboned

Forager
Feb 17, 2016
Ireland
I had a Lansky before this but sold it as I didn’t like it ... The KME is much better (it costs 3 times as much so should be) ... it grips the blade better and has a ball joint for the rod to fit into for a more precise action .... i was going to get a Wicked edge but I am only sharpening my own knives now and then and this was cheaper plus the extra stones are 1/2 the price of wicked edge .... I used if today to touch up one of my PM2”s and it is very easy to use ... I got it for £174.99 plus post

Thanks for this, I’m looking for a guided system to compliment my sharpmaker. The reviews on YouTube make it look quite good. Did u get the base aswell? Did you buy in Europe?

chandelierman

Forager
Dec 14, 2018
essex
Got it in the UK online from silverarchery.co.uk ... they have it on eBay for £219 but sell for £174.99 if you buy direct .... I messaged them I’m on Facebook to ask about it as their web page said out of stock but he said they had 13 in stock and that was last Friday

chandelierman

Forager
Dec 14, 2018
essex
I didn’t buy the base ... it was about £25 .... I will make one tomorrow.... it is only a square piece of wood with a 12mm spigot in the middle .... I am a metal worker and have a lathe / milling machine in my workshop so can knock something up in 5mins :D ..... plus the good thing is.... I am vat registered and bought it through my business so it worked out to about £144 delivered

chandelierman

Forager
Dec 14, 2018
essex
I did consider the sharpmaker but dead read a few reviews that it was hard to get the tip of the blade sharp ... the KME is very easy to sharpen the whole blade

chandelierman

Forager
Dec 14, 2018
essex
I made my own base ....it’s on an old piece of 1” MDF but I will cut a new piece when I get time ..... a 50mm long piece 1/2” brass bar turned down to 12mm drilled / tapped to take a 5/16 Whitworth screw ..... less than 5mins to do .... probably less than £2 in materials DD754756-CE95-4987-8AF2-8FD5F2A9217A.jpeg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE