What did we do before the beeps !!!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Drives me nuts Jason , my washing machine plays a wee tune when its finished ,the fridge door starts beeping if left open for more that a few seconds ,the tumble dryer beeps all the time ARGGGGG .:yikes: and these allegedly fast boil kettles I think they just make a lot of noise from start but the boil time is the same haha

My bloody car does it whenever the dog jumps into the passenger seat and triggers a sensor, it beeps quietly for a few seconds (while I attempt to plug the seatbelt in and keep the car under control), then it becomes a deafening cacophony. Really well thought out bit of nannying disguised as a safety feature.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
The idea that "recycling" is a green thing to do.

Re-using
is the sound thing to do.

No glass jar should be recycled when all it needs is washing out and a new lid.

Whilst we are at it, if the EU want to standardise things, why not standardise jar lids to maybe two sizes. That would make replacement lids simple.

years ago things were re-used and repaired. But nowadays people are too idle to do this - and then complain about the cost of everything!

But half the fun of making preserves when you're slightly OCD is putting the lids in a neatly catalogued order! (Then sorting out the button box, grading the potatoes by size and knobblyness, then the eggs by white, brown & speckled...​)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Advertising. I would like to be able, just once, to go somewhere or do something without someone profiling my actions and trying to sell me something that I don't want on the basis of them.
I try to always pay by cash and don't take any of those storecard/keyfob things. It helps a little, if only to make me feel better about it.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Most gadgets have a way of switching off the beeps but it's often a hidden control. Google is your friend when performing a beepectomy.

The beeps on ALL gadgets can easily be turned off by using a simple and easily obtained optional extra. These come in a variety of sizes which work with different sized beeping gadgets.
Remember the operation code for these - which is -

"If at first you don't succeed - get a bigger hammer!"

wandering1

Nomad
Aug 21, 2014
Staffordshire
The beeps on ALL gadgets can easily be turned off by using a simple and easily obtained optional extra. These come in a variety of sizes which work with different sized beeping gadgets.
Remember the operation code for these - which is -

"If at first you don't succeed - get a bigger hammer!"

The operation code for mine is. Sledge. Often found in the demolition section of Selco
Another usefull object whih is just as effective is a concrete block
Or in my case the bedroom wall

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I try to always pay by cash and don't take any of those storecard/keyfob things. It helps a little, if only to make me feel better about it.

True enough, and I do that too, but I was on a sports website the other evening, and in short order was offered:

1. Something incomprehensible in business-speak about interpersonal management driving revenue
2. Expensive ladies' lingerie (I suspect that both the lingerie and the ladies were what was expensive)
3. A new car costing more than my annual salary

I just wanted to watch the sport.

wandering1

Nomad
Aug 21, 2014
Staffordshire

I actually got sick of being offered loans and buy now pay later "deals" 0%apr cards etc
I cut up my credit/ visa cards years ago so now I only have a cashpoint card

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Adverts that follow you around the web. You look at a radio and see nothing but adverts for radios on a banner. Dont get the " do you want to date women in your area" either.I got the same goofy tart that no matter where in the country I am. I am not gay and I dont know why I get offered women let alone half dressed munters trying to look comely on a bed. My mum gets the same company but older men.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Some Beeps are good..They tell me when food is cooked..without beeps I would be eating raw or charcoal flavoured grub..or..I would have to face the terrors of cooking in/on a gas stove which would almost certainly result in fire on board and me being made homeless.. I once tried frying steak and it caught fire..why did no-one tell me there was a piece of paper stuck under the meat in the polythene tray? I've tried a pressure cooker but it 'exploded'..It was hissing and I thought the chicken stew was cooked so I twisted the handles apart...There were chicken legs from the forward cabin to the cockpit, chart table was awash with gravy and carrots and the ship's clock showed half past Broccoli. A few days later when I lit the grill to make toast, it caught fire...I had found the missing chicken leg..it had wedged itself up on the grill gas jets at the time of the 'explosion'
I wondered why I could only find 7 legs when I searched the boat...
Beeps are important to some people...;)

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Some Beeps are good..They tell me when food is cooked..without beeps I would be eating raw or charcoal flavoured grub..or..I would have to face the terrors of cooking in/on a gas stove which would almost certainly result in fire on board and me being made homeless.. I once tried frying steak and it caught fire..why did no-one tell me there was a piece of paper stuck under the meat in the polythene tray? I've tried a pressure cooker but it 'exploded'..It was hissing and I thought the chicken stew was cooked so I twisted the handles apart...There were chicken legs from the forward cabin to the cockpit, chart table was awash with gravy and carrots and the ship's clock showed half past Broccoli. A few days later when I lit the grill to make toast, it caught fire...I had found the missing chicken leg..it had wedged itself up on the grill gas jets at the time of the 'explosion'
I wondered why I could only find 7 legs when I searched the boat...
Beeps are important to some people...;)

If you can't cook without beeps, then... you can't cook! Nice story. Thanks for the laugh. :lmao:

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
The beeping microwave is really annoying.

If microwaving something from a packet it invariably says microwave for this long, and let it stand for this long.

So put packet in microwave, set the time... of course every time you press a button to set the time, it beeps. Hit start, beeps. Whirring noise for however long. Then beeps when finished. You ignore it as the packet said to let it stand for awhile. Microwave beeps what seems to be every 30s until you open the door. It's almost demanding your attention.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE