What did we do before the beeps !!!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Jam jars, pickle jars, whisky bottles, wine bottles - I re use them all!
I do not know about other peoples jam making but my jam hits the glass at a temp to kill all the nastys and is lidded so that the contracting contents seal the jar - my whiskey bottles are filled with spirits (sloe gin, blackberry vodka etc) which should be a sterilising agent in its own right...
Wine bottles are sterilised with Campden tabs or boiling water as are low acidity pickles...
Feel free to prosecute!
I will pay for the fines by selling jars of jam....

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Me too :) and the ones I re-purpose aren't just kilners and the like either.
They're glass, if they're sound and sterilised, why not ?

M

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Along the logic of re-using glass, am I the only one who thinks soft drinks like Coke, Pepsi, etc. tasted better when they were in the old re-usable glass bottles? As opposed to the modern plastic ones or cans?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Milk bottles....iconic, practical, reusable, and now we're stuck with those horrible plastic 'jug' things that slitter everywhere :sigh:
Safe, hygienic, bulk packaging, etc., though they may be, they're wasteful and kind of a classic example of our greed and pollution.

M

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Along the logic of re-using glass, am I the only one who thinks soft drinks like Coke, Pepsi, etc. tasted better when they were in the old re-usable glass bottles? As opposed to the modern plastic ones or cans?

Yup - as we said somewhere earlier, stick a "deposit" on them (which all the grown ups here remember) so there is a financial incentive to take them back to the shop.

For a while here there was a sherry sold where you had to take your own bottle and the shop filled it. Bad sherry. Good idea.

[video=youtube;_HLfUdGMekw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HLfUdGMekw[/video]

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I'm very fortunate in still having a daily delivery of a pint of milk in a bottle which goes back to be re-filled until it's u/s..........when you wash them to put them out you can see the circular marks of the cleaning brushes on the inside of the glass and it's clearly the case that some of them have done the circuit many times. Why in God's name would you not do it that way?

wandering1

Nomad
Aug 21, 2014
Staffordshire
We still re-use old glass jam jars and pickle jars which we use for our jams and pickled beets, eggs meanwhile the old whisky and wine bottles go to our aunty for her wines and her hubbys homebrew ales.... Homebrew... Bout time I got my still out

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I'm very fortunate in still having a daily delivery of a pint of milk in a bottle which goes back to be re-filled until it's u/s..........when you wash them to put them out you can see the circular marks of the cleaning brushes on the inside of the glass and it's clearly the case that some of them have done the circuit many times. Why in God's name would you not do it that way?

Because making a disposable plastic one is cheaper than collecting and washing a glass one. Sad but true. I don't like it either.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Yeah, still have a milk deliveries here too.. though only 3 times a week. Milkman just leaves a milk crate in porch, and slowly fill it up with empties and gets replaced with another crate with the delivery in once in awhile.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yeah, still have a milk deliveries here too.. though only 3 times a week. Milkman just leaves a milk crate in porch, and slowly fill it up with empties and gets replaced with another crate with the delivery in once in awhile.

Milk delivery is definitely one of the things I miss from living there. Mind you I probably couldn't afford it now; with the grandkids and 3 adults, we go through a gallon a day or more.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
We get deliveries of Organic milk here - but in plastic bottles!
We don't drink much milk so we only get 1 pint twice a week... we could have daily deliveries if we wanted...

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
My neighbour made some marmelade, but balked at 50p each for empty jam jars to put it in. We offered our supply of old jam jars but he said he wanted them all to match as they were going to be gifts. He then went to Aldi and found the cheapest product for sale in a jar which turned out to be marmelade. When he turned up again and asked if we wanted some marmelade, we said said yes please, thinking we were getting one of his "gifts". No such luck; he handed over an ice cream tub full of the Aldi stuff!

Z

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
LOL

It's a quite crazy that can buy a full jar of something cheaper than an empty though.

Edit; though I suppose it does encourage jar reuse, so maybe not a bad thing.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I don't know if you get companies like Barr's down south but you can still buy fizzy pop (though in colloquial terms "squoosh") in returnable glass bottles, you get either 20 or 30 pence back on the bottle.
And the local winery holds an annual "bottle smash" event where old bottles get recycled and a major booze up ensues with their excellent adult pop! (One of the best nights out I've ever had and very eco friendly!

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
but I think we should put the deposit back on glass bottles :)

A deposit is one thing but a separate charge is another thing. I bought some egg nog in the store and was shocked when it rang up at $4.35 egg nog PLUS $1.50 bottle charge. ***. I asked the cashier is this was a deposit she said no it was a bottle charge, non refundable. It's a nice bottle but all but useless with the stupid thin cap it came with. I'm looking for a cork stopper for it then it might have a use.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
A deposit is one thing but a separate charge is another thing. I bought some egg nog in the store and was shocked when it rang up at $4.35 egg nog PLUS $1.50 bottle charge. ***. I asked the cashier is this was a deposit she said no it was a bottle charge, non refundable. It's a nice bottle but all but useless with the stupid thin cap it came with. I'm looking for a cork stopper for it then it might have a use.

That sounds like typically poorly thought through do goodery!

xylaria

If you ever frequented the same establishment (I wouldn't) would they refill the bottle with egg nog?

British mobile phone companies use the same rip-off charging method. No company is ever too big to fail

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE