What did we do before the beeps !!!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Go on red spill the proverbial beans (egg recipe)

Very simple

Melt butter in a nonstick frying pan on a low heat

Crack three duck eggs into the pan and swirl to break the eggs (much higher yolk to white ratio with a richer taste)

Pour in a generous glug of double cream and swirl again keeping everything moving

When nearly all the runny stuff has gone, give a grind of sea salt (no pepper) and finish cooking. Stop swirling as you want large, rich, soft pieces of fondant egg.

Plate up on buttered sesame toast and dust well with paprika.

Consume with freshly squeezed orange juice in a highball glass.

Sit back and feel your arteries harden.

ETA He's wrong about toast too. It should be done with very fresh bread cut thick - cooked hot so that its golden brown outside but still soft inside. Then buttered so that it crispy outside, hot, soft and buttery inside.

Last edited:

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I use milk and grated chedder instead of cream and butter and add a double dash of tobasco to that. Im with red on the toast tho'. Thick cut fresh white. Soft in the middle.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
In my defence I have to say I have tried cooking, I even tried to make bread once. I was wintering on a mooring on the River Fal, so I went up river in the dinghy on the tide and bought all the ingredients in Truro. Rowed back on the ebb and set to cooking...
Wonderful smell in the galley and the bread came out golden brown although it did feel a trifle heavy... Couldn't cut it, I had to batton the knife through it, even then it didn't really cut, it sort of shattered. In the end I gave up, carried the broken bits into the cockpit and threw them overside into the river. Seagull swooped down gulped a piece down and promptly sank..
Haven't tried baking since...:(

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
In my defence I have to say I have tried cooking, I even tried to make bread once. I was wintering on a mooring on the River Fal, so I went up river in the dinghy on the tide and bought all the ingredients in Truro. Rowed back on the ebb and set to cooking...
Wonderful smell in the galley and the bread came out golden brown although it did feel a trifle heavy... Couldn't cut it, I had to batton the knife through it, even then it didn't really cut, it sort of shattered. In the end I gave up, carried the broken bits into the cockpit and threw them overside into the river. Seagull swooped down gulped a piece down and promptly sank..
Haven't tried baking since...:(

I think one might have grown slightly in the telling, but it made me laugh anyway

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
BTW I love the Fal, but I don't care what anyone says, the Dart is the most beautiful river in England.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Perfectly true story Harvestman...up to the sinking Seagull that is...:D
Agreed Red, the Dart is very beautiful, but finances dictated that a Truro Harbour Masters mooring won the day over a Dart Authority winter fee. :)

Lying at Dartmouth...
eveningstar019-2.jpg

And on the River Fal..
lacorunacopy048.jpg

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Oh that I understand - and the Cornish coast has a rugged beauty the softer Devon Coast lacks. My "olds" now live overlooking the mouth of the Exe - my old "home river". Even so many decades later it still gives me a pang to go back as I did last week.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
The quality of a story is not measured in its veracity, but in the enjoyment experienced by its audience :)

I agree completely.

BTW I love the Fal, but I don't care what anyone says, the Dart is the most beautiful river in England.

Disagree here. The Wye for me. Mind you, it is more in Wales than England, so maybe we agree after all. :)

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I dont trust non-stick at all. Very very dodgy chemical. Seasoned metal and enamel every time.

I dont own a mircowave either. I only ever used it for precooking baked spuds to reduce fuel bills. I dont have a lot of gadgets, my old man does the cooking when he is here. Otherwise I do cook a lot of stews and soups. I could cook bread when I lived in england, I dont mnow if is oven or the tap water here. The bread I cooked last night could sink a ship, and my son has just said I am being over confident if I expect him to take lunch made from it. I had a bread maker, I gave it away when I moved here. It worked fine with stoke tap water, but the dough from welsh tap water made it bubble over and it became a fire risk.

Last edited:

Insel Affen

Settler
Aug 27, 2014
Tewkesbury, N Gloucestershire
The idea that "recycling" is a green thing to do.

Re-using
is the sound thing to do.

No glass jar should be recycled when all it needs is washing out and a new lid.

Whilst we are at it, if the EU want to standardise things, why not standardise jar lids to maybe two sizes. That would make replacement lids simple.

years ago things were re-used and repaired. But nowadays people are too idle to do this - and then complain about the cost of everything!

Looks like the EU has firmly vetoed that idea!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ads-EU-fines-threat-reusing-old-jam-jars.html

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I re-use jam jars all the time. They are glass. They are sterilised.

If anyone wants to prosecute me, bring it on.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE