What Camera?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I now have an Olympus 550uz.

The combination of manageable size,weight, 18x optical zoom and far more features and settings than I can shake a stick at, made it an ideal compromise.
I had the opportunity to buy the Canon 400D SLR but decided it was too big,heavy,complicated and pricey for what I needed.

I wasn't sure I had made the right choice at first but soon settled in with the bells and whistles. I could still do with some instruction to explain all the camera can do but I also enjoy experimenting.

R.B.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Fuji finepix 6.3 - held together with PO rubber bands!
Still takes decent snaps and I am not too worried if I kill it in action......

Sep 27, 2007
essex
With me it's usually the other way around.

I go on a bushcraft trip because I'm out with my camera.

I'm using a Canon 5D with 17-40mm f4L and 70-200mm f2.8L IS & 2x Extender now

Plus a big lump of tripod too.

How do you find the 17-40 and 70-200mm 2.8? Im thinking of investing in those two.

I guess I should say what I use too.

Canon 30D
Canon 500mm f/4
Sigma 10-20mm
Tamron 90mm
Tamron 180mm
Gitzo tripod with a wimbly head

Thinking of getting the new MKIII body but my other half will shoot me!

Kris

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Anyone with experience of the Olympus Tough they have been advertising on TV?

I asked the man in the shop for the toughest pocket camera they had, he handed me an Olympus u770SW, the advertising isn't inaccurate, it is the toughest little camera I've yet owned, has survived prolonged exposure to very cold temperatures, very damp conditions, and I've lost count of how many knocks and bashes. The battery life is pretty good too.

It never leaves my side.

I also use a Nikon D200 with a 17-55 f2.8 which is also quite tough, too heavy to cart around every day though.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Even though I have fell in love with my new Fuji S6500, for extended trips I'd like something smaller. If I am at a moot, it would be fine, but for a trip across the moors or similar, something cheap and small would be my choice. I still have a Fuji A200 that the wife uses, 2 megapixels which was good when we bought it! Gives some idea of its' age, but it still takes good shots although there is no zoom facility to speak of. The beauty is that it uses the same card as my larger camera! :D

Spark

Forager
Jun 18, 2006
nr. Bristol
bcd.awardspace.info
I use a Canon IXUS 850is. A great compact camera, very sharp photos. Good selection of manual features. Although I would like something with more optical zoom.
I also use a Manfrotto 785b tripod which I like a lot. It is a brilliant travel tripod, around a kilo in wieght and it folds down fairly small.

Can't believe this has been posted!!! I was going to ask a similar question :lmao:

I was think of upgrading my old Fuji 6900 for a Canon 40D - I know it is a heavy lump but it would seem to suit what I want to be able to do now and in the future.

Any opinions on the camara and tips to what would be a good "all round" lens?

Cheers,

Phil.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I use a Canon IXUS 850is. A great compact camera, very sharp photos. Good selection of manual features.

It's a great camera but not so tough, I bought one for my girlfriends birthday and then reversed my Defender 110 over it, it was completely useless afterwards!

:lmao:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I can't believe no one has put up a photo yet....:D

Blea-Tarn-Ice.jpg

:p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE