What bushcraft stuff have you done this week?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Played with my new Hultafors axe (still have all my digits),Tornedal and EKA knives, Fox hammock system and Carinthea sleeping bag system (2 nights out under the tarp so far since monday) playing continues on thurs (I am working on wed!) with my new Tatonka 4x3 polycotton tarp getting its first usage.
After so many cold nights star gazing recently it will be nice to be out as the warm rain returns on thurs.......
Today I will be mainly playing with knives and axes....

Ozhaggishead

Nomad
Dec 8, 2007
Sydney
www.flickr.com
Been on a canoe/camping trip in central Sweden for a couple of days, sure was worth driving 3600km by car :)
KanotochtZwedenPasen2009.jpg

Looks like a absolutely amazing trip

scallywag

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 22, 2008
Europe
That would be trimming the hedge and sausages baked in a bonfire as a treat afterwards :] Didn't have time for anything else. I've got great plans for a bike trip to the woods, though.

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Not exaclty bushcraft but this week I finished the thumb stick I was working on.
wasnt very pleased with it as I tried a new finish on the head and wasnt satisfied.

I left the bark wrinkled as I pesonaly like the effect and added a steel rim to the brass ferule,just have to polish the ferrule and decide wether or not to add a rubber disc on the bottom

148nj29.jpg

2r3zia1.jpg

2qwefza.jpg

sirex

Forager
Nov 20, 2008
bournemouth
whilst accompanying an engineer fixing a pay and display machine i'm responsible for i took out my 'food for free' pocketbook and id'ed a few edible plants.
i managed to spot hairy bittercress right by the machine but i was too chicken to try it so i got my mate who was passing to try a bit first lol
we got some strange looks from the engineer but to be honest we didnt care!

eating things near the bottom of poles in towns ? - ew ! i dont mind a bit of wild food, but dogs weeing on it puts me off.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Did a bit of work on a net I'm making and made a new bag for the portable bit of my leather working kit at the Ayrshire meet last weekend.

Back at home, been out looking for a pair of long eared owls that were nesting in our local plantation until the council decimated it last week.

Made a couple of wooden reels and wound them with linen thread for the above mentioned kit.

Re packed some of my kit for warmer weather conditions on my next outing.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Last week was carving some spoons, building shelters and doing some fire lighting practice.

I was out with a Silver D of E group at the weekend and managed to;
Light fires and have plenty of brews.
Forage sorrel, nettle, goosegrass and get them to try some.
Made a willow whistle.
Extole the virtues of wool blankets to three adults who thought they knew better
Convince the same three people that barbequed pineapple with brown sugar and rum is a good idea!
Slept under a tarp.

Then since the weekend I managed to;
Strike a deal on some ventile for a project.
Done some more D of E training with another group.
Prepare a lesson for the Cadets on angular observation.

Not sure where the time goes to be honest.

Ogri the trog

Oh, and nettle soup for tea tonight.

Well today I repacked my Belt Kit, Repaired the odd snag on my bushcraft clothing.
At the weekend I taught my 8 year old how to start a fire with a, fire steel and dryer lint.

Next week I plan on brushing up on some of my coastal bushcraft skills, such as identifying coastal wild edibles, identifying and acquiring edible shellfish and other marine edibles.

Makes sense really considering i live less than 2 minutes walk from the coast.

If anyone can help me with identifying coastal wild edibles it would be appreciated even more so if it accompanied with pictures.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Went for a walk and spent most of the time identifying wild foods and "useful" plants. Cut myself.....
...a new walking-pole!
Bet you thought I was going to say "with a knife or axe!":D

Both would have been true bushy activities though....

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Spent the weekend at the Ayrshire meet, put names to several plants I've only read about, played with Erics whips & Bows n Arrows. Got some great tips on making stuff from Eric and Wayland. Found out I really want a hammock.. :D Practised with a fire bow every day since I came back and have managed to get an ember once, but tinder was a bit damp.. then couldn't get another ember at all.. oh well practise practise practise. Although the bearing block seems to get hotter than the hearth.. :p

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Been teaching someone how to make feathersticks, what a LMF Swedish Firesteel is, and how to make a fire with it, and with a magnesium block and firesteel, and dryer lint, twigs and cotton wool, not all at once, obviously!
happy0009.gif

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
Took a fantastic walk through Newborough forest with the missus and in laws. When the sun got too hot I put up a tarp lean to as a sun shelter.

Spent a couple of days walking the dogs in the local countryside , sampling some of the local grub, nettles and (for me a first) dandelion. Spotted three buzzards just enjoying the thermals.

Found an old collapsed Oak , used the saw on my SAK to cut a wrist thick log, took it home and built a fire in my chimenea, using my axe to split the wood etc - another first for me . Planted various veggies in pots in my garden.

Sitting in the garden as it went dark, listening to the evening chorus, blazing oak fire in the chimenea , hot brew and the dogs flaked out I was utterly content.

Its been a good week.

Air Pirate

Tenderfoot
Mar 16, 2009
Nashville, TN, USA
Mounted an expedition from my house to the Loosahatchie River about a mile away. I was exploring for a possible geocahche trip with the kids. Doesn't sound very far but the terrain was pretty rough, and had to wade through some water that was almost hip deep (I'm 6' 7'' so hip deep is pretty deep). Stopped and cooked up some lunch in my billy and dried out my socks along the way.

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
Taught a session on basha building and got the cadets to use sticks, twigs and cordage left around on the training area to build their own using ponchos. Also facilitated them struggling through compo and hexamine. They were all really impressed with the pea lighters from DealExtreme (I've got one on the zip of my smock).

Played around with my own belt order and bergan kit, but hardly used any of it.

Claudiasboris

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
finished the first of a (hopefully) 2 knife set. 2mm 01 steel, holly handle, having a go at a hollow handle like a thread read on here recently.
smallknife1.jpg

smallknife3.jpg

Went for some walks, bought a new water container for the veg garden.

Bongo Matt

Tenderfoot
Apr 18, 2009
Isle of Wight
Made a 4 x 2m gill net, went off with an open canoe for 3 days on the river Paraná in Argentina, caught Amarillito fish, very oily and tasty, tried fire by friction there had it hot n charring but couldnt get it to embers, but its all variations of spiecies of willow on the islands there so no contrast of hard and soft wood. So out came the lighter . Also wove a BBQ grill out of green willow to cook on, and works really well. Started a cast net the other day.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE