what bone shall I use?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
I need to get hold of some bone for some projects I have in mind, im finding it hard to find some, I am thinking about buying some dog bone from the pet shop, do you think it will be ok to use for handle making, needle making and other crafts? ;)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I need to get hold of some bone for some projects I have in mind, im finding it hard to find some, I am thinking about buying some dog bone from the pet shop, do you think it will be ok to use for handle making, needle making and other crafts? ;)

Very sensible idea... it'll do nicely for all those jobs :)

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I think dog bones are roasted generally, im not sure if it would work. Try a butchers, you'll get them for pence.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have used dog bones for needles and other tools - it can be a bit brittle at times "green" bones are more "elastic".

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
yeah, go to the butchers. bones that have been roasted, boiled or bleached all have different properties to fresh bone. Like John says, they tend to be brittle but can work fine (alot depends on what you want to use the bone for).

Also, the species and body part van vary according to what you want to make. metatarsels and shins for dense bone when you want things like handles, dice and like, femur/humerus for needles are quicker making, shoulder blades for shovels, skulls for bowls, etc, etc

If you want to clean the raw bone up without changing the mechanical properties you can bury it for some time in the garden or soak in a bucket of biological washing powder for a while (really stinky, but works). boiling in lie (bleach or wood ash) is quicker and less damaging than roasting.

have fun and show us what you end up making! :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
What about having a butchers around some local woods? I have seen the odd skeletal remains of deer and other animals lying around. But would it need treating though?
My Awl is from a sheeps bone that I found on the hills - naturally bleached and cleaned and I hafted a decorative knife with a deers shin - both work well for their jobs :)

wasteoid

Forager
Jan 6, 2006
uxbridge
Hey Monkey Boy,

If you are anywhere near London Bridge, Bourough Market's big butcher give them away free for "dogs" - I usually get a bunch of beef ribs and shin bones for mine. They will do exactly what you want I would have thought.

Chris

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Sammy there was the skeletal remains of a deer at the Sussex meet last time I was there, As you are going to the meet I'll show you where it is.

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
Sammy there was the skeletal remains of a deer at the Sussex meet last time I was there, As you are going to the meet I'll show you where it is.

that would be great, we can see what we can get out of it ;)
thanx everyone will defo check the butchers out, will be in the london bridge area soon ;)

Bucketosudz

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2010
UT-USA
The Pet Store bone I get for carving is not brittle at all, in fact it is quite possible to get very sharp edges and points with it. I have been carving pendants out the same bone for a couple of years now.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
I've used the shin bones from the pet shops,works ok for needles and broadheads, its got a good long flat section on it.
As John Fenna says sheep and deer bone also work just fine, just tap it and if it sounds ok then there you go,free stuff rocks.
PS ace looking axe you got there Bucketosudz.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE