What blade ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Trod

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2011
Wigan
Knives ain't for chopping. Simple as that.

Baton with a knife, chop with an axe/macehete../billhook!

MOD knife is a good fun bit of kit,with little tools it can be made razor sharp (if you need help send me a pm) but any of the above mentioned knives will do you well.

Buy a few try them out trade them on.
Thanks , if I'm in need I'll pm you , much appreciated

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
So much of this is a matter of personal experience. A good heavy chopping knife ( I use a Dartmoor but a Kukri or similar will certainly suffice ) gets jobs done effortlessly. Yes with the right technique you can fell a small tree with a Mora but this can be done with a few swipes of my big unfashionable Dartmoor.

I will happily split kindling from a log thicker than a Mora's blade length battening with a Dartmoor. For a campfire I feel this is adequate and I never feel compelled to use an axe.

However whilst I could, I'm not so comfortable gutting small game with such a brutish knife. I want a small blade for this probably smaller than a Mora even. For preparing food a Mora is probably as good as any kitchen knife in your drawer and my Dartmoor certainly isn't good for buttering toast!

The fashion certainly is for a Mora, Laplander and small Gransfors Axe but you have to put quite a bit of effort in with these and I think the Laplander and Hatchet particularly are a big compromise on their fixed blade and larger brothers.

Every choice comes with a set of compromises. You just have to work out what's most useful to you in the kind of setting you will be in.

For me this is often my faithful Wilkinson Sword Dartmoor and a Fallkniven F1 or S1 but my Mora has not been replaced long. These work brilliantly together for me covering the majority of tasks I need with just two tools.

My Mora Bushcrafter is a superb tool. I'm not in love with my Laplander and I don't feel my GB Outdoors Axe adds much to the mix but it's a lovely thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
You really need to play with a khukuri for a while :)

I used to collect them, I'm aware of their brutish abilities! By they aren't knives really.. Not in the conventional sense. More like a sword/machete.

As for recommendations, I'd go for a Swiss army knife (pick the tools and find a model!) And a Mora or hultafors to play with and beat on.

Once you've had a good go on the fixed blade have a think what type of knife you'd like in the future. As the mora and hults range cost about a tenner you can get some practice sharpening and usingnit without the worry of breaking a fancy knife.

Trod

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2011
Wigan
I used to collect them, I'm aware of their brutish abilities! By they aren't knives really.. Not in the conventional sense. More like a sword/machete.

As for recommendations, I'd go for a Swiss army knife (pick the tools and find a model!) And a Mora or hultafors to play with and beat on.

Once you've had a good go on the fixed blade have a think what type of knife you'd like in the future. As the mora and hults range cost about a tenner you can get some practice sharpening and usingnit without the worry of breaking a fancy knife.
I have no doubt a SAK and Mora will be making an appearance at some point , it seems that with all kit especially blades once people start they can't stop . I can definitely see the sense of practising sharpening on a cheap model

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE