What are you growing?

• Hey Guest, For sale we have Hultafors Outdoor Knives with Firesteel PLEASE LOOK HERE for more information or use the Pay Now button in the sidebar

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I've managed to get looffa seeds and they are now gently nesting in compost filled pots, and I'm awaiting the first shoots to appear.
I've wanted to grow them for years. Let's hope I get a good crop. They need a long growing time, so it's a long time to wait until I get my sponges, but I will hopefully have loads of seeds next year. They worked out a pound a seed! So are very precious!

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Davey569

Native
Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
I’m a bit behind this year, and I tried a lot of things last year but our garden spends most of the day in the shade so it’s difficult to plant so I’m having a rethink this time. Carrots are off the agenda, never had any luck with them. I think onions, leeks, lettuce and beetroot seem ok in the shady bed. Going to get the runner beans again mostly because I like the look of the flowers! And then tomatoes and courgettes grow well up near the workshop, the tomatoes usually have marigold underneath them or radish if there’s room. The herb bed looks a bit empty at the moment but it will get there once the weather improves, fortunately we’ve had a few thick frosts for a change which is quite rare here as we live on an estuary, but that should help with the slug situation which was at an all time high last year!

Broch

Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
I'm behind too. The raised beds I put in ten years ago now need rebuilding (the veg patch is on a south facing steep slope so is terraced). I've got all the sleepers etc. but the ground's too wet to use a digger on so It'll be another couple of weeks before I get the groundwork done. The tricky bit will be keeping the topsoil on top!

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Well, my first packet of looffa seeds did absolutely nothing. A waste if £6 for 6 seeds.
But I got some from Suttons in the end , and they have germinated, cheaper, with 15 seeds in the packet more than the ones got off the Internet.
Do not buy seeds from an unknown supplier! Lesson learned.
Of course they need warm temperatures and just as they poke through in the nice sunny weather we had recently, it starts to snow!
So they are back indoors and sitting next to the radiator for warmth and safety.
Anyone else trying something completely different or exotic?
My idea is to grow my own sponges so I don't have to buy wasteful and ecologically damaging scourers and sponges . These can be composted at the end of their lives.
I bought some loofa washing up pads in a pop up market last summer, and am very impressed with the performance and long livity of it, even able to bleach it regularly .but at £5 each Ow!
Growing my own looks like I may even have the start of my own business!:)

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Kadushu

Jul 29, 2014
Kent
I've got quite a lot queued up. So far only shallots, onions, swede, carrot and broad beans have gone in the ground but I'm still harvesting leeks and broccoli from last year.

Reactions: santaman2000

Hultafors Outdoor knife for Sale

We have a a number of Hultafors Outdoor Knives with Firesteels for sale.

You can see more details here in this thread OUTDOOR KNIVES The price is £27 posted to the UK. Pay via the paypal button below.