What are you growing?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jonno70

Dec 23, 2023
Cumbria
Never tried before. I've tried to grow my own slips from sweet potatoes, but just ended up with a shriveled rotten stinky mess.
I found some plants in the local garden centre, so bought one and popped it onto a large pot.
I will feed it once a week and keep it watered. I've no idea what I'm doing!

When I met Bob flowerdew many years ago, he recommended a greenhouse and said it was a climber, so not having a greenhouse I never realy bothered again. Now I've found out that some grow it as ground cover, and the leaves are edible.
So, I'm just going to see what happens. The pot will sit on a makeshift column, and allowed to trail, rather than treated as a vine climber.
We'll see what happens. Wish me luck! It wasn't a cheap plant.
Thanks for the reply good luck with them and be good to know how they grow, hopefully a few feeds for you.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Lots of folks onions are bolting around here.
Daughter just messaged to say she has an unanticipated crop of allium flowers and looks forward to harvesting the seeds which she reports are tasty.

pee ess
If I harvest my early nettle crop, how long can I keep it stacked outdoors while I find out how to make cordage (about which I know nothing). I could easily leave it standing but will it deteriorate (for making said cordage)

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Have you grown Sweet Potato before Woody Girl? Just curious what sort of crop you get as I have never thought of growing them but wouldn't mind giving them a go.
I've grown them several years ago with some success. I tried four varieties and, IIRC, T65 did the best as it was a variety bread for our cooler climate. I also recall that you get bigger tubers if you grow the plant up something, if left to trail it will root and may not produce large tubers.

Reactions: Woody girl

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Lots of folks onions are bolting around here.
Daughter just messaged to say she has an unanticipated crop of allium flowers and looks forward to harvesting the seeds which she reports are tasty.

pee ess
If I harvest my early nettle crop, how long can I keep it stacked outdoors while I find out how to make cordage (about which I know nothing). I could easily leave it standing but will it deteriorate (for making said cordage)

Gently bash them and extract the fibres ASAP, then you can leave them to dry, neatly coiled and hung somewhere untill you are ready to start learning how to make cordage.
All you have to do then is give them a quick wetting to work with them.
Once you get it, it's easy.

Reactions: Pattree

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE