What are hammocks like for bad back sufferers..?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Hello....After another sleepless night camping over the weekend, I am tempted to try a hammock to see if it makes things any better. I suffer from a lot of back ache and stiff joints, mainly as a result of having a disc removed a couple of years back. I am a side sleeper but despite a love of camping, can never seem to sleep well. I have tried an awful lot of kit - thermarests, exped down mats, exped comfort mats, airbeds etc etc but always wake several times during the night. I see mixed reviews for hammocks - is one type of hammock more suited than another? I am 6'1, 14 stone and sleep mainly on my side but like to spread out a little :) if you imagine the classic chalk drawings of the dead body outline - thats how i like to sleep....

Any suggestions - I'm looking at the Hennessy Explorer Deluxe and the DD Frontline as possibilities at the moment. I appreciate there are lots of hammock threads so don't want to add to those, but I am keen to hear about any that are particularly well suited for people with lower back pain.

Thanks!

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
Since a small confrontation between myself (on a skateboard) and a landrover coming up the hill I've had a bad back on and off for 10 years.

I've slept in a hammock around 5 times now, and have to say they are very comfortable, although that is lying on my back.

I'm not sure the side position would work well, as hammocks by their design tend to pull up at the sides, and I think you'd find your arm bending upwards too much.

I think the best thing would be to a) try one for a few minutes, or b) they cost around £40 - try one, and if it's no good, try and sell it/ swap it here or e bay it.

You're not risking a lot to try.

Snozz

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
They're great,for me anyway.

In my opinion the Nomads xl is best,better than DD and cheaper.

Haven't tried Hennesey but don't fancy how you have to get in them.

I usually sleep as you described but can get comfy in the hammock on my side or back.

Last edited:

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
just to clarify You can sleep on your side in a Hennessey hammock!!!!
I've done it many times! I too like to "spread out" when I sleep to me the Hennessey feels like a huge wide single seat sofa
I have the smaller original version I'm 6ft and 15 st, I feel very comfy in it with plenty of room length and widthways. the explorer deluxe must have epic proportions!

also there's
no balancing needed
you wont/can't fall out of it. (the hole you get in is closed by your own body weight)
it's very easy to erect

most importantly for a person with back problems!

to get in it:
1.you stand under it,
2. bring the opening down around you (like a huge t-shirt), and sit down on the bit under your bum.
3. lean back (lifting your legs at the same time) and lie down.

none of the normal getting your leg the other side, spreading it out, and spending 5 minutes balancing yourself, or tucking bits in, or trying to get the insect net straight, associated with traditional designs.

added to this the integral insect net and tarp the little hanging pockets and gear hanging line you can't really go wrong.

I recommend Hennessey wholeheartedly

Last edited:

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
I've got a DD travel, i sleep on my side also, get back pain and a bad hip when ground dwelling but not when in my hammock, love it. Get one mate you won't regret it.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
I have used a hennessy for about 5 years now and have a back pain issue as a result of a bad plf in my army days. I too find sleeping on the ground a pain but the hennessy is absolutely fine for it. Because its an asym you can move sideways and aviod the traditional curved back position, and also spread ou much more that a conventional one. These days as i dislike sleeping bags for anything but sub zero temps i use a bag under me and a fleece planket on top so i dont have the usual confinements of a bag. And i roll over a lot from side to side etc (even when im alone).
I usually end up waking once or twice anyway but that is normally as a result of the liquid bread i consumed the previous evening.
I say go for it

Cheers
nick

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Another vote for the nomadsland xxl and i to have back problems, and since using a hammock on some of my trips out ive had my best night out sleeps for years,also have knee,elbow,and shoulder problems,and am stiff as a board in the mornings(no pun)but i feel the hammock supports my whole body and with a underblanket as well, warm as toast.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
To continue the echoing theme........

I'm a little taller and several stone heavier than you Bateman. Also a confirmed side sleeper when indoors, with mild back problems and old bikers knees!

My hammock is a Nomadsland xxl and I sleep very soundly on my back in it. Full body support, yada yada, the only thing to be aware of is hyperflexion of your knees, which just requires a bundle of clothing or an inflateable pillow under them.

I'd reccommend trying a hammock to anyone - it just takes a few nights to get it set up the particular way you want it - which may be totally different to someone else who may be the same height/ weight/ problems etc.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Hello....After another sleepless night camping over the weekend, I am tempted to try a hammock to see if it makes things any better. I suffer from a lot of back ache and stiff joints, mainly as a result of having a disc removed a couple of years back. I have tried an awful lot of kit - thermarests, exped down mats, exped comfort mats, airbeds etc etc but always wake several times during the night.

Any suggestions -
Thanks!

Hi There,

I had spine surgery in 96 ( a harthill frame) put in...yeagh so I can asppreciate your predicament. I have a similar problem. I have thermarests x 2, old fashioned airbeds, campbeds, vietnam era airbeds, bubble wrap...:eek: foam mats, and recently after Toddy :You_Rock_ said how great they were a down matt. I reluctantly tried a hammock after Magic Kelly started selling them in group buys and tbh they are excellent. I get the best nights sleep in them. I bought an underblanket which was an absolute necesity really and a double hammock for room. Unfortunatley after a serious bout of laberynthitis I can't sleep in the hammocks well without waking up sever vertigo and having no sense of where I was:eek: so I'm reluctantly back to ground hugging. The best advise I could give you is to try and borrow one from someone closer and try it with a thermarest inside. Use your sleeping bag like a quilt (you'll feel safer and it will be comfier). and try it for a night.

Let us know how you get on. Good luck.

WS

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE