What animals (wildlife) have you seen today?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Turnstone

Nomad
Apr 9, 2013
Germany
Watched a young red squirrel eating bread for breakfast. I guess the bread was stolen from neighbours compost pile...!

cybercurly

Jun 12, 2013
basingstoke
My girlfriend and I spotted a strange bird a couple of months whilst on a wander around the Midhurst/Heyshott area of the South Downs National Park. My mother, a long time birder and volunteer for the RSPB couldn't pin it from our description.

Then we coincidentally came across a news report about twitchers causing traffic chaos in our local area. They were out in force after reports that an Alpine Swift had been spotted there.

Mystery solved! Video report confirmed that that was what we had seen:-Alpine Swift. Tick that one off the list.

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Had a real wow 5 mins ago here in the garden ... A stoat! Gorgeous little thing ran along the gravel beach of the pond only 2 ft away from me, then out onto the grass and round the corner to one of the shrubby bits. Olly-cat decided to investigate, I assured her she would lose! Think both are ok in the land of the living still :D

behind every creative woman there's usually a very talented cat ...

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
The only animals I've seen today would be the lesser knuckle dragging neanderthals I have the pleasure of working with.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Saw a spoonbill today. And some birds of prey. And hares. Finally enjoying the unconditional liberty of a 7 week holiday starting today :D:D:D

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
European Jay.

No pics, camera is broken, but here is one from last year.

P6210131.JPG

Turnstone

Nomad
Apr 9, 2013
Germany
A big fat rat in the park. As long as they are not in the house or my vegetable garden I like rats. Cute and intelligent animals.

Turnstone

Nomad
Apr 9, 2013
Germany
Now that you mention it, a magpie, too! And a jaybird and several jackdaws :D

(And the usual pack at the birdfeeder, mainly great tits with their young ones, lovely to watch!)

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
I'm just back from a walk round a local woodland estate and came across an old, long-dead birch log. Underneath one fold of bark was a large toad, but it slipped away. Here's a photo of a juvenile. Is this just a common toad?

I have to say, this is actually one of my first ever wildlife finds, aside from the odd bird and rabbit. I've never once seen a deer! I've spent a lot of time in forests of all kinds and have a fair amount of experience... I just have the most dreadful luck.

mjXMlIC.jpg

Last edited:

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
While driving my wife to aberdeen airport this morning I saw three (different) buzzards :). Plus the usual asortment of roadkill - couple of fox, one badger and a few miscellaneous birds:(

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
There's a cranefly in the room with me that keeps bouncing off my computer screen and hitting me in the face. It will be leaving in a minute, as soon as I can catch it :cussing:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE