What animals (wildlife) have you seen today?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sav720

Jun 1, 2013
nottinghamshire
I saw a my first live, wild badger today! Made me very happy. scurried across a foot path I was on just six feet in front of me. Trent meadows, near Attenborough nature reserve.

Turnstone

Nomad
Apr 9, 2013
Germany
Last weekend I was out again. Saw lots of hare (watched 3 of them in the forest), some roe deer and lots of different birds. Spotted two woodpecker homes with young woodpeckers inside. And watched a red squirrel (which wasn't really red but almost black) feeding on pine cones.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Nothing happy here. Dead slo worm, dead polecat and dead hedgehog. It's grockle season and these people know not how to drive round the lanes.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
All within a couple of miles of the house today: -

• Buzzard x2.
  • Kestrel.
  • Sparrow Hawk.
  • Loads of Crows.
  • Roe Deer.
  • Rabbits.
  • Stoat, stalking said rabbits and my favourite.
  • Magpies x 2. (Have to get the gun out).
  • Blinking great spider in the house. (Now deceased).
  • Lots of LBJ's including my increasingly tame female sparrow with a white wing bar on her left wing. She nest's in my eves.
  • A wasp flying around hole to the old wasp bike that was in my eves.
  • Lots of fly hatch, though no midge yet. :)
  • Red squirrel, well more of a flash of tail as he disappeared up a tree.
  • Brown trout parr/fry.
  • Mallard Ducks.
  • Swans.
  • Swallows and Swifts - but no Martins.
  • Black Headed Gulls. We have a large breeding colony.
  • And my nemesis to sleep the blinking oystercatchers.
  • Song Thrushes.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Saw a rabbit from the bus to the imprisonment that is school.

Enjoy school Niels, it's there to give you a false impression as to how much real life sucks!:)

So saying I wouldn't go back - they'd stares at a man in his 40's with a uniform on. And I'd get put on a different kind of register.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Enjoy school Niels, it's there to give you a false impression as to how much real life sucks!:)

So saying I wouldn't go back - they'd stares at a man in his 40's with a uniform on. And I'd get put on a different kind of register.

Mother keeps telling me it's the best time of my life too! Adult life must be horrible;)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Mother keeps telling me it's the best time of my life too! Adult life must be horrible;)

Actually I lied, I've had a dam good adult life, bits did suck but hey. I think what makes school seem hard is that we're still acquiring the skills to cope and make it better. I made a pact with myself some twenty odd years ago to Smile every day. Makes a big difference.

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
We went to walk on Watership Down yesterday and saw three very bold hares, rabbits, lambs and also heard cuckoos. There was also a huge mob of crows harassing a kite.

Hile_Troy

Need to contact Admin...
May 2, 2013
Stalybridge
Saw (at a distance) and heard one of the local Grey Herons having an almighty aerial fight with an unknown aggressor yesterday, also many rabbits, tits and finches, otters and (lucky me) walked pretty much the whole of my mile-long dog walk with a kingfisher, then i turned around to walk back, and the kingfisher came all the way back with me. Totes amazeballs (as I believe kids are saying these days).

Last edited:

Turnstone

Nomad
Apr 9, 2013
Germany
Not many sightings during the last days. But a nuthatch is coming regulary to our birdfeeder now, and there is a young great tit which is amazingly tame!

It's currently much harder to see hare, pheasants, roe deer and many other animals. In winter they were everywhere, but now they are hiding or sit in deep grass or in a grain field.

Turnstone

Nomad
Apr 9, 2013
Germany
Just had to catch the fearless young great tit. Flew inside and wasn't that fearless anymore and couldn't find the way out. Fortunately I could grab it with my hands quite fast and without adding damage. Future will tell if it's still a fearless young great tit...!

Turnstone

Nomad
Apr 9, 2013
Germany
Went out on an evening stroll. Saw rabbits and hare. Watched a family of nuthatchs and young wrens. I tried to discover the young lapwings in the corn field, but couldn't spot them. But from the behaviour of the lapwings there I am pretty sure that there are young ones around!

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk

People who tell you that your schooldays are the best days of your life are always too old to remember what being in school was really like.

I said this to my daughter after an old lady said it to her, and the old lady was not impressed. Daughter understood though - she was being bullied at school.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE