Wellies!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

soa_uk

Forager
Jul 12, 2005
Highlands
MagiKelly said:
Muck Boots, every time. I got them for canoeing but they are superb for bushcraft stuff and really warm

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/avon_muck_boot.html

I'd add that following John's recommendation I've ordered some for SWMBO. I went to the supplier John used (see his review quoted), and they were able to sort me out.

I told them about "this canoist chap" and she seemed to know who I was talking about. "We get a lot of recommendations through this website".

I'll ask SWMBO for her report when she's used them a bit. [She went for the Tay style].

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
soa_uk said:
I told them about "this canoist chap" and she seemed to know who I was talking about. "We get a lot of recommendations through this website".

Can't think who you mean :)

With the Muck boots I would recommend you get your normal show size. Everyone I know who went bigger has found them to be on the large side.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
British Red said:
Le Chameau wellingtons - the gamekeeper here puts his on in August and takes em off in April (I think he sleeps in em too :D). He wears em 16 hours a day for months at a time so I guess he should know. Not cheap though.

Look here for a good description of types etc.

http://www.gb-sports.co.uk/wellingtons.html

Red

I like mine too,the heel is broader than the Hunter and they are more comfortable to walk in.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
GUYS Let's take a step back and remember it's just wellies we're talking about and some of the prices are :eek: Wellie = rubber boot (Whichever way you wish to guild the lily)

So go to Decathlon and pick up a pair of GeoLogic Wellies, rugged sole and waterproof with shock absorbent heel for the grand price of £6.99 in all sizes. Job done

d95d5ba943.jpg

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
maddave said:
GUYS Let's take a step back and remember it's just wellies we're talking about and some of the prices are :eek: Wellie = rubber boot (Whichever way you wish to guild the lily)

I have to disagree. I have work wellies for site and I also had Ron Thomson wellies and they both keep water out but I could not live with them as my only footwear for a multi day canoe trip. The Muck Boots will do this though. For short term use I would agree with you but in really cold conditions you will really notice the difference.

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Is it allowed to have cheapo wellies while wearing a Barbour?

I just realised that I didn't ask the right question. It should be:

What does Ray Mears wear?

;)

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Decent wellies are as important as decent boots if you wear them a lot. Once you have suffered Plantar fasciitis, which can often be caused by poorly designed footwear with little of no cushioning and support (read most cheap wellies) you will agree that some extra cash spent of decent gear is worth the extra.

Having looked around recently I have to agree with MagicKelkly and others and say that the pair of Muck Boots offers very good cushioning, decent degree of support to the ankle and good ergonomics really do make a difference.

I went for the mid length Ribble and have been really pleased with them and expect them to really com into their own in the winter. They offer plenty of grip on wet ground (clay), excellent cushioning which makes walking moderate distances a lot more enjoyable and my feet don't sweat anything like they used to in cheaper wellies. They cost £27 which is less than Hunters which I found really bad for my feet, offered little support or cushioning.

Also they work well as boat wear and offer good grip on decking too.

I am very tempted to buy some of their shoes or clogs to wear around camp or for quickly slipping on when outdoors.

There is some good info on the MuckBoots here;

Wild Chicken - Muck Boots - General Information

I am a UK 101/2 or 45 euro size and the size 10 (44-45) fit fine with normal socks. Given their insulating properties I don't envisage wearing thicker socks with them.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I hate wellies but I wear them anyway as I often have too.

I've been using a pair of Dunlop safety wellies for over eight years now and they have just sprung a small leak which is only a problem when walking through streams and such like.

They are similar to this pair http://www.dunlopboots.com/products/category_specification.asp?Articlecode=S662

I've found the safety cap and soles to be invaluable for my needs as regular wellies offer much less protection than a leather boot.

Dunlop wellies start at around a tenner and go up from there. I've seen some really awful cheap looking wellies in garden and DIY centres that don't look like they'd last long at all (and offer very little protection) and then I've seen ridiculously priced "designer" wellies.

But perhaps you'd like some expensive Barbour wellies to go with your jacket. They were all the rage with the gentrified 4x4 country crowd when I lived in the West Country.

I reckon something in between the two extremes (designer - cheapest and best) will give the best value for money. I'm amazed by how well mine have lasted. Especially when you consider that once the cat dropped a dead mouse in one and it was a few days before I discovered it. I actually put my foot in it. That was gross. It (the dead mouse) stunk and I had to bleach the wellie which didn't do the lining much good.

After I put my foot in one morning to feel a live frog in my wellie I also started to shake frogs out of them in the morning (this was when I lived on a farm). I've since been very faithful to always shake out any boots before putting them on.

After living in the tropics where shaking out my footwear was second nature because you can find scorpions and snakes in it you'd have think I'd have learned but I didn't.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I just Googled "Muck Boots" and although expensive they aren't ridiculously priced.

I remember trying some on at a garden centre one time and liking them but they only had the ones with funky patterns and the low cut ones but I like some of the more "traditional" looking ones I saw online.

I reckon they could be a good choice. Might get some myself when the tear in my old boots gets too big.

A

alicej

Right, look, ten quid ones are fine, you just have to customise a bit to end up with exactly what you want. I wear big thick legwarmers round my calves underneath so they don't flap around all over the place, and this also stops mud etc falling in them when I'm digging. I also get good insoles to cushion my heels - I like the fleecy ones best as they quickly mould to the shape of your feet.

Should any part of this getup ever wear out or get damaged, I just replace that part at the lowest cost possible, and I'm on my merry way - WITHOUT sponsoring climate criminals Dunlop et al.

£100 for a pair of wellies? You must be kidding!

Alice

philm4

Oct 17, 2004
Midlands
If you are a farmer/outdoor worker the Le Chameau boots seem to be popular but you need to wear them all the time to justify the price. Like any wellie I have ever used they do not offer good lateral support.

I bought cheap £8.99 ones from the local farm supply depot and wear mine through winter for dog walking, probably walked over 500 miles in them. The essential addition for me is a pair of Superfeet (about £35) to replace the existing insoles. They make them as warm as any of the high price pairs and increase long distance comfort by providing a lot of support. When they leak, which all wellies will, it will only cost £8.99 to replace them. If you want the best go and spend £200 on a pair of Gore tex le chameau and add superfeet, £235 all in. They come with everything apart from the satisfaction us £8.99 wellie users have knowing we've got 99% of what £200 spenders will have for a fraction of the cost.

I use neoprene lined wellies from a Danish (?) firm called "Toggi" with a side gusset (I have little fat legs & need the room). They are comfortable to walk in, have good grippy soles & keep your feet warm on the marsh in January!

On an advice note (!!!!!!) make sure any wellies you buy are made of natural rubber & not PVC. PVC boots are less flexible & are thus not as comfortable.
:D

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I use wellies a lot. Not just walking the dog but also standing around for ages in cold wet locations waiting for the light to change for a photo.

I've had a pair of cheap wellies for yonks but they've finally shuffled off to the great cloakroom in the sky now and I've just bought a pair of Muckboots.

Boy what a difference..... the old ones were comfortable enough with two pairs of sock once you got used to them. They weren't good for driving but not too bad.

The muckboots were comfortable from the moment I put them on, they are flexible enough to drive in, just like shoes really.

I have yet to try them in cold conditions but they feel warm enough for Rannock in midwinter.

I would say cheap wellies are ok but after a good pair you'll never want to go back.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE