Wellies!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Ok, a bit lighthearted and flippant this one, but here we go.

My wife has declared that I need some wellies. They'll be used in the garden, and also for the occasional yomp through the woods next door when it's particularly rainy and muddy (so they'll need to be vaguely comfy for walking in).

I own a Barbour jacket, so does that automatically mean that I can only get some Hunters? I don't own a Land Rover (yet), and I don't have a double-barrelled surname, but I do kind of live in the country (well, next to the aforementioned woods).

Any recommendations? These will most likely be a Christmas present for me, so no skimping with the cheapo ones! ;)

Slightly more seriously, I know nothing of wellie boot technology, so is it at all possible to get ones that are actually comfy and don't make your feet sweat horribly?

Mar 21, 2006
Isle of Wight
Well, you have 2 options really. If you want to stay British, go for Hunter, but the cheaper ones are not that well made. But they do go up to £225 for the hand made ones with orthopaedic leather etc.
My recommendation is go for Aigle Parcours with adjustable calf size (if you have wide calfs like me). They will set you back about £65 a pair and are very comfortable and built well. I even got £10 off for 2 pairs (for the Mrs as well) and a nice boot jack (essential kit !!!) thrown in.
Just out of interest, I have the double-barrelled surname, the LR, the country place etc and a barbour (which reminds me, I need to get it re-waxed for the shooting season!!) and I love these boots. Remember, the key with wellingtons is to keep it simple and solid. I use mine for walking, shooting, offroad driving and lots more and have beaten them up for 5 years. They are still solid and look great. Just dont get too complicated with neoprene and leather liners unless you are going to be spending hours in the freezing cold. I would not recommend getting any with zips either.
Make sure they are the right size for your feet and socks (you should always wear 2 pairs with wellingtons (1 thin cotton pair next to the feet and a thicker wool pair over the top) and take your time.
The best part, is that at £65 a pair you will be really surprised with the comfort and it will not matter if you have to replace them if the dog decides to chew them!!!
Regarding sweating feet, the key is to get the right sized boot and decent socks and to use the 2 layer principle. I will quite happily wear mine for 10 or 12 hours like this without any problems.
Send me a PM if you need any more info.
Regards
Adam

Reactions: Simon E and mark a.

Hellz

Nomad
Sep 26, 2003
Kent, England
www.hellzteeth.com
As far as good wellies go, I called off the search when I got my Dunlop Wildlife Deluxe boots about 5 years ago. They're the business :D

1247-m.jpg

The other option that might be worth a look are 'Muck Boots.' My other half swears by them, and with the neoprene they are nice and warm too. They are oriented towards equine activities, but they do various types that are good outdoor boots.

Hellz

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Wow, cheers chaps. I honestly don't know very much at all on such things, so the advice is much appreciated. I was still under the impression that wellies cost around £10 until a couple of years ago when I saw the wellie shop at the CLA Game Fair - I was amazed that you can easily spend over £100 on a them!

So, it's obvious that, like any other footware, trying them on in the shop is essential. I'll have a look around the £50+ region for the Hunters, Aigles and Dunlops of this world.

Cheers for the top tips Adam. You're also well up on me with the full suite of countryfication (if that's a word) - I'm just the jealous pretender! ;)

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
This may be a dumb question but uhm...why are those boots called Wellingtons? Over here in Canada, they're a dime a dozen. We just call 'em rubber boots or gumboots and they cost about ten bucks at Wal Mart. Forgive me for not being British! :p

Adam

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
In my opinion any wellie above the ten pound mark is a complete rip off and waste of time (paying a hundered sobs for a pair of wellies indeed!!). When I am out and about performing my role as a geophycisist I regularly have to wear wellington boots for upto ten hours a day and walk more miles than I could count. The only saving grace for me has been good old 'Dickies Unisex Pair Bama Boot Sock'. These stop the feet from sliding around, keep them jubbly and warm in the winter and let all that lovely foot sweat move from your own sock to the boot sock. I would save your money and get some other extra boots (wellies or otherwise) unless you live on a farm where wellies are a must.

Here is a link to the trusty old boot sock (i swear by them).

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=115686

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
addyb said:
This may be a dumb question but uhm...why are those boots called Wellingtons? Over here in Canada, they're a dime a dozen. We just call 'em rubber boots or gumboots and they cost about ten bucks at Wal Mart. Forgive me for not being British! :p

Adam

I think the Duke of Wellington liked wearing them (some old army chap from way back)....

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
addyb said:

Adam
Something to do with the Duke of Wellington, I think. Doesn't everything cost about 10 bucks at wal mart, I spent a fortune last time I was in that shop/ warehouse. you will probably notice the wal mart boots will be bad fitting, cold and fall apart in no time, we can get cheap welly boots over here too.............

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
addyb said:

Adam

I think the Duke of Wellington liked wearing them (some old army chap from way back)....

Info copied from Wickipedia

The Wellington boot, also known as a welly, a wellie, a gumboot or a rubber boot, is a type of boot based upon Hessian boots worn and popularised by Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington and fashionable among the British aristocracy in the early 19th century.

The first Duke of Wellington, instructed his shoemaker, Hoby of St. James's Street, London, to modify the 18th century Hessian boot. The resulting new boot designed in soft calfskin leather had the trim removed and was cut closer around the leg. The heels were low cut, stacked around an inch, and stopped at mid-calf. It was hard wearing for battle yet comfortable for the evening. The Iron Duke didn't know what he'd started—the boot was dubbed the Wellington and the name has stuck ever since. (The Duke can be seen wearing the boots, which are tasseled, in this 1815 portrait by James Lonsdale.)[1]

These boots quickly caught on with patriotic British gentlemen eager to emulate their war hero. Considered fashionable and foppish in the best circles, and worn by dandies, such as Beau Brummel, they remained the main fashion for men through the 1840s. In the 1850s they were more commonly made in the calf high version and in the 1860s they were both superseded by the ankle boot, except for riding.

These boots were at first made of leather. However in 1852, Hiram Hutchinson met Charles Goodyear who just had invented the vulcanization process for natural rubber. While Goodyear decided to manufacture tyres, Hutchinson bought the patent to manufacture footwear and moved to France to establish "A l'Aigle" in 1853 ("To the Eagle," in honour of his home country). In a country where 95% of the population were working on fields with wooden clogs as it had been for generations, the introduction of the Wellington type rubber boot became an immediate success: farmers were finally able to come home their feet dry and mud-free.

Now Wellington boots are waterproof and are most often made from rubber or a synthetic equivalent. They are usually worn when walking on very wet or muddy ground, or to protect the wearer from industrial chemicals. They are generally just below knee-high.

In Britain, there is a light-hearted sport, known as wellie wanging, which involves throwing Wellington boots as far as possible. The boots, especially Black Rubber, are also popular fetish items among many people.

The boot has also given its name to the welly boot dance, said to have been performed by miners in Africa to keep their spirits up whilst working. In 1974, Scottish comedian Billy Connolly adopted a comical ode to the boot called "The Welly Boot Song" as his theme tune and it became one of his best-known songs.

Wellington boots, though invented in Britain, are very popular in Canada, particularly in springtime, when melting snows leave wet and muddy ground for a couple of months. Children can be seen wearing them to school and taking them to summer camps.

Green Wellingtons are most popular in Britain, while black Wellingtons, particularly with red or green soles, remain the favourite of Canadians. Yellow-soled black Wellingtons are often seen in the US, in addition to Canadian styles. Wellingtons specifically made for cold weather, lined with warm insulating material, are especially popular during Canadian winters.

Hellz

Nomad
Sep 26, 2003
Kent, England
www.hellzteeth.com
I've had cheap wellies before, and found them cold, uncomfortable and not very long lasting. My current Dunlops are comfy, warm and still going strong after 5 years of abuse and neglect ;) I've found that cheap boots are a false economy.

Like those Muck Boots MagiKelly :D

Hellz

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Le Chameau wellingtons - the gamekeeper here puts his on in August and takes em off in April (I think he sleeps in em too :D). He wears em 16 hours a day for months at a time so I guess he should know. Not cheap though.

Look here for a good description of types etc.

http://www.gb-sports.co.uk/wellingtons.html

Red

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Oi Kench! Patterns are a definitie no-no! (See the Fashionable Bushcraft thread...) ;)

I'm not sure I'll need anything warm - I'll just wear some warmer sock, probably (although I see in Magikelly's review that this isn't good enough). I probably won't be climbing too many snowy mountains in them, so normal linings is probably fine. The Muck Boots do seem handy, though.

I also saw the Le Chameau ones when browsing this lunchtime, so it's good to hear of another recommendation from Red.

Anyone know of any decent Wellie stores in Surrey?

(Just realised that I'm talking about a potential Christmas present here, and it's only October. I should really wait until, say, mid December before trying things on!)

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Thanks for the info and clarification, guys. :)

And I second that motion about boot socks. They're amazingly warm and comfortable as well as making great slippers for around the house.

Cheers,

Adam

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
If you are looking for wellies with grip try "noras" lots of farmers wear them. they grip better than any other wellie ( get the tractor tread type), nice and light to and are about £22. But no buckles,

Mark

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I hate wellies with a vengance, allways prefering a good pair of well maintained leather boots (currently living in a pair of Matterhorn Fort Braggs), they are almost as waterproof and a darned site more comfortable than any wellies I've had to date.
Though I'll be giving your advice good consideration should I feel the need for prolonged standing about in water in the future.

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE