Wellies!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
I have some macgaiters which are an interesting alternative.

IMG_1822SMALL.jpg

Unless I'm actually standing in water for a prolonged period they don't leak. Certainly fine for keeping mud etc out and I get the advantages of wearing a decent boot on my feet with the added protection of wellies.

Scoops

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
If I'm walking any distance then I'll use my boots, perhaps with gaiters if needed. But for pottering around, and the occasional trip to the nearby woods, something that can just be slipped on and off (without faffing around with laces) would be great.

I'm sure that for my purposes cheapo boots will be just fine (especially if I'm just in the garden and whatnot), but I won't be paying so I may as well get the most of it and go for nice comfy fancy ones!

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
As a member of the upper classes I have two pairs: One pair, a size too large; which are easy to take on and off, for short distance travel and another better fitting pair, which I use whilst roaming my estates on my groom’s half day off.

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
I cant believe on a bushcraft forum full of active outdoor people, Soldiers and adventurers, many being of the old school no one has mentioned Bog Trotters.

I know the humble bog trotters fell out of vogue but has it really been forgotten in history.

116020.jpg

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Well this is an old thread worth ressurecting. Be interesting to hear some of your longer term reviews after 8 years of wear!

Id like to know how your wellies have held up, especially the muck boots/neoprene types, after a few years of wear now? Still going strong? Fallen apart?

I got some ROK boots, which were made by the same company who make muck boots, but they split over the toe within a year, also had a pair of £300 Le Chameau skadi leather and goretex boots, and the stitching has just fallen out of the right foot. So they are going back.

Ive now just ordered the cheapest ones so far, surplus, which are the swedish nokian 275 handmade in finland, for under £40 delivered.

Hopefully they'll last.....!

815r4hNd0jL._UX522_.jpg

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I get over five years out of Grubbs stalkers Dave and that wearing most days. Great value for an item that gets worn a lot.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I get over five years out of Grubbs stalkers Dave and that wearing most days. Great value for an item that gets worn a lot.

Five years sounds like it doesnt owe you anything. I'll keep them in mind if the nokians fall apart.

What about the muck boots, hunters etc, mentioned on here, are they still going strong?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE