wellies or not?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wellies or not

• yes

Votes: 47 49.5%
  • no

Votes: 51 53.7%

• Total voters

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes, if i have a good pair off wool socks on they keep my feet toasty and fairly comfortable, alot more waterproof too
leon

Thrym

Forager
Dec 20, 2006
Bristol, England
Personally i only wear wellys when going into ponds/streams. I find them uncomfortable however having said this i dont think ive ever owned a proper nice pair of wellys and it has been several years since i last wore them maybe i should get some new ones

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i wear them shooting which is about 3 hours nearly non stop walking and i have yet to get a blister
leon

Oct 25, 2006
england
:1244: I find wearing two pair of socks helps when wearing wellies 1 pair thin 1 pair thick,and they are no problem,the only other problem with them is they tend to sucked of your feet in really muddy conditions.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I can't stand walking in them. I find them uncomfortable, too cold in winter and too hot in the summer. I only wear them when I have to.

I'd sooner put on a pair of leather boots and waterproof socks if I have to do any walking. Maybe if I bought some of those designer Muck Boots I might change my mind but at around 50 quid they are as expensive as a pair of hiking boots.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I used to hate them, but it was the only viable option with a large energetic dog.
One day I bit the bullet and bought Hunters. I've never looked back, fantastic.

It's the same as everything else - buy the best you can afford and need.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I don't wear in winter, for climatological reasons. But for autumn or early spring there great, especially in moorland. But you have to take it for what it is, you can't expect the same walking comfort as a pair of good hiking boots. And the don't allow any diffusion at all, moisture will stay in them.

Agree with dougster
I, too, used to hate them, but that was because I had cheapo versions, in syntethic rubber and virtually no liner. Bought hunter wellies in natural rubber and with cotton liners, and now I finally understand why people use them. ;)

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
I think it very much depends on the application but I completely changed my mind about wellies after buying some leather lined Le Chameau's. The big difference is the fitted calf. Cheap wellies will keep the water out the same as expensive ones but the secret is in the fit as to whether you love or loathe them. Cheap wellies traditionally pull your socks off being a bit too roomy around the feet, flop about round the back of your knees making your legs sore whilst being fairly thick and inflexible. My Le Chemau's are made of virgin rubber (not recycled) and have a captive tongue running the full length of the boot side which when zipped up fits the calf so perfectly you wouldn't know you had them on. The big downfall is the astronomical price but I can justify the spend based on what I use them for where as others may not be able to. An alternative is Hunters however I am sure I recall hearing that the company has gone out of business so an ebay bargain may soon be your only option to get hold of a pair!

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I've always been a keen hillwalker and as suck always worn walking boots. On the occassions I have worn wellies I have always found them cold after a while. Perhaps its my feet! :)

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Well, I've always been of the boots persuasion, often with gaiters, but I'm starting to think that a good pair of wellies would be a worth experimenting with...

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
the hunter wellies sound great but im not going to shell out that sort of money when my feet are still growing
leon

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Silverback said:
I think it very much depends on the application but I completely changed my mind about wellies after buying some leather lined Le Chameau's. The big difference is the fitted calf. Cheap wellies will keep the water out the same as expensive ones but the secret is in the fit as to whether you love or loathe them. Cheap wellies traditionally pull your socks off being a bit too roomy around the feet, flop about round the back of your knees making your legs sore whilst being fairly thick and inflexible. My Le Chemau's are made of virgin rubber (not recycled) and have a captive tongue running the full length of the boot side which when zipped up fits the calf so perfectly you wouldn't know you had them on. The big downfall is the astronomical price but I can justify the spend based on what I use them for where as others may not be able to. An alternative is Hunters however I am sure I recall hearing that the company has gone out of business so an ebay bargain may soon be your only option to get hold of a pair!

I have exactly the same one's! :D
I use them out and about but not over long distances, when i prefer boots and if the ground is bad, gaiters.
Wellies are a lot easier to keep clean. I just spray some of the rubber preserver over them 2-3 times a year to keep them in top condition....at the price they were they had better last!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Sold my chameaus - I stick with boots that give better ankle and foot support - mind you I have dodgy achiles tendons so have to have good support. I still wear good wellies in my canoe - even doing my 5star open in them - where I do not need the support so much. Goodyear "wildlife" wellies sre my favourite.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
As it seems that in order to get wellies that fit as well as cheapo steel toe capped work boots I have to spend a small fortune I will stick with me 30 quid workboots and sometimes a pair of trainers, thanks :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE