wellies or not?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wellies or not

• yes

Votes: 47 49.5%
  • no

Votes: 51 53.7%

• Total voters

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Long skinny feet and skinny legs do not work with wellies, so no. I used to wear white ones at work til friend dropped steaming intestines down inside his. Believe me, that just makes you want to give up and die.

John Fenna, for dodgy achilles tendons, wear hig ish heels (though best not use ladies stilletos..) with internal heel pads to raise the ankle above the toes more to ease the stretch on the tendons. This will help immeasurably with the healing process. I also found support bandages helpful, although you probably heard all this before.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
I noticed that I had the option of selecting both YES and NO so I did to see what would happen - I managed to vote for both - DOH.

Anyway - in winter, yes.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
I use boot's all the time. If it's wet, i'll go for gaiters. I'll never say never or critisize wellies as i do not own a pair. Infact, the last pair i had was so long ago that i was having snow ball fights with my friends and my Mum made me wear old socks instead of gloves as we could not afford them! :eek: My little hands were wetter than otter's pockets and so cold! :( So the wellies mus'nt have been much cop.

Ah the good old days :D

Miggers

Forager
Dec 31, 2006
Oxford
Decent pair of walking boots and socks. For salmon fishing I have been know to wear chest waders... Guaranteed to need the loo once strapped in!

Miggers

Apr 26, 2007
Nederland
Nope.. I'have a pair of Meindl islanders with Gore tex.. and as a real dutchmen walk al lot on my wooden shoes/clocks. perfect waterproof and perfect winter warm.

And if the water is to deep I prefer my Teva's...

godfather

Nomad
Oct 28, 2003
Hertfordshire
I wear wellies every time I go out and about :) . Very pratical and I have had the same par for 6 years unlike some other boots that last just a couple of years.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
They are tricky to get on and off, give little support to the feet when walking on knobbly ground and make your feet sweaty. Give me my Lundhags every day!

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
MagiKelly said:
Muck boots are like the group buy hammocks. Many have mocked them but once they try them they buy them and use them ;)

I have a pair of the non-camo ones and i must admit i wear them for most of the day, every day.

Never knew wellies could be so good

Dave

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
When I was a kid in the country I lived in wellies all year round, just cheapies to go with the 'many times let down' jeans with the distinctive white marks on the hems each time they were let down.........anyone growing up in the 'not so affluent' seventies will understand!
I progressed on to Hunters and Le Chameu and these worked well 3 season for years. About 8 years ago i moved to walking boots and now hardly ever wear wellies. I do have a pair of hunter classics in the shed but I guess they are slowly perishing.
I am in the process of 're kitting' at the moment as a lot of my stuff is now leaking or wearing through. Just ordered some Kammo gaiters
http://www.kammo.co.uk/gaiters/index.php
so I think for me wellies will be a thing of the past.

They are great for the kids though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE