Weird behaviour in 'New Posts"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I often use the site's 'recent posts' link. Sometimes I've noticed that it behaves a little oddly but I haven't been able to repeat things that I've thought I'd seen which I thought were wrong. Today is different, it seems to be perfectly repeatable.

Here is a screen shot of the latest posts showing a post which happens to be by "No Idea", allegedly dated today at 12:48, in the thread "Global Warming":

http://www.jubileegroup.co.uk/JOS/misc/recent_posts.jpg

Here is a shot of the last post in the "Global Warming" thread. The last post is indeed by that user but the date is 19 December last year:

http://www.jubileegroup.co.uk/JOS/misc/global.jpg

And for what it's worth here is a shot of the last few posts from user "No Idea", which if correct shows that the user is at the very least a prolific poster...

http://www.jubileegroup.co.uk/JOS/misc/hammocks.jpg

With apologies to No Idea, who drew the short straw in this lottery. :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It's because it's a Poll Ged, come on I thought you knew that one :)

It means somebody has voted in the Poll at 12:48 rather than it referring to No Ideas last post.

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
If you look at this pic
hammocks.jpg

the number of replies and views doesn't change even though the post time does, but won't the views change when someone opens the thread to vote? :confused::confused:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
In that case, it's probably because No Idea is posting replies to his own posts, so it may not update on the views or replies as quickly.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Well I was going to go on to the whole views/posts thing (how does a thread get a reply if it's had no views???) but I think I'll keep my head down now. :)

Ahh that'll be evil Gremlins again playing with forum software..

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Well I was going to go on to the whole views/posts thing (how does a thread get a reply if it's had no views???)....

this has always baffled me too, i've noticed on occasion that i've started threads and had up to half a dozen replies (from various people) but no views, me no understand.

stuart

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Well I was going to go on to the whole views/posts thing (how does a thread get a reply if it's had no views???) but I think I'll keep my head down now. :)

I think if somebody views a thread and then decides to reply, it counts their view as a reply rather than a view :)

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
The view counts seem to be updated every 15 mins or so, rather than live as is the case with the post count.

I was surprised that thread came back up, but assumed someone had answered and then deleted their post.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE