Weirauch hw35

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
What happens to the carcass janne,I underrstand iguanas used to be called tree chicken,anyone eat them?

I have eaten them, will do when I harvest my own. Delicious! Even wife eats it when served, and that will tell you something!
Delicious, but not appetising if you understand!

Unfortunately there is no culinary market for them here at the moment. Yesterday my wife took me to lunch to our newest Vegan/ Vegetarian restaurant ( excellent food!) where I suggested they serve Iguana. Organic, sustainable, local, it ticks it all.
They already serve Lion fish, another local pest.
We will see!

Last edited:

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Hi Rob, its good to hear from you,

Mine is still going, if more than a little battered now !, good to hear yours is still "knocking about".

I wish choosing an air rifle was a simple !. I'm going to make a trip to a supplier in Melton Mowbray next weekend & have a look whats on the market.

Rob

Take a look at http://www.airgunforum.co.uk/forums/forum.php mate, really friendly bunch like here and SOTP, it may afford some answers before your MM trip.
atb, Rob

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Visited an airgun shop today, Leicester airguns in Melton Mowbray. I had gone there with the HW99 in mind, but then i saw the Walther century, which is'nt much more, but comes with scope & bag.
So after spending 2 hours in there, in which time he sold 3 rifles & a pistol, & purchased 2 off people that came in, between talking to & advising me, i came away with out one, being confused.

Does anyone have the Walther ?, reviews seem to say that it is under powered as standard & requires tweaking, its a nice rifle though some what heavier than the 99.

Rob

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
If you've missed the first, you may well miss the second too :)

Not only that, but the quick second shot is a bit mythical really. Whether your quarry is hit, wounded and flapping about like a flappy thing, or its dropped in a place where you can't see/hit it, you never get a clean second shot, no matter how fast you reload.....

I do know of several hunting instances where a fast second, or even a third shot are usefull; but none of them apply to the type hunting you'd be doing with an air rifle.

Fast follow-up shots with a shotgun can mean the difference between a single quail or a double/triple at covey-rise. Likewise with either a rifle or shotgun when they dogs bring the deer past a double is often possible. In fact when running in front of the dogs I've also had it take three rounds of 30-30 to bring an adrenaline filled deer down (all good hits)

All that said, unless that's the type hunting you're doing, a single shot is fine (see my next post)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
People have hunted with single shot weapons in one form or another since the bow/sling, helps you to make sure the first shot really counts. :)

There is no such thing as a 100% one shot - one quick kill situation.
Even of you are a very accurate shot, the gun spreads which can mean just a wounding hit.

Most of our history we hunted with projectile weapons with a slow second shot, but then we did not worry so much about the humane quick dispatch......

I'm reminded of how Davey Crockett was taught to shoot. When he was a small boy he was allowed to take his fathers rifle out with a single ball and powder charge (no reloads) If he brought something home, he ate supper; if he didn't, he went to bed without.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
One of my friends here is a licensed pest control guy. Here it means basically he culls Iguanas.
Very difficult to kill cleanly, he sometimes has to use several shots before they let go of the branches and fall down.

Yes, he is a superb shot. By far the best one here on Island be it with a shotgun, rifle or pistol. Gold and Silver medallist on Commonwealth Games and Island Games, except the IG last year.

out of interest, What does he shoot them with?

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Visited an airgun shop today, Leicester airguns in Melton Mowbray. I had gone there with the HW99 in mind, but then i saw the Walther century, which is'nt much more, but comes with scope & bag.
So after spending 2 hours in there, in which time he sold 3 rifles & a pistol, & purchased 2 off people that came in, between talking to & advising me, i came away with out one, being confused.

Does anyone have the Walther ?, reviews seem to say that it is under powered as standard & requires tweaking, its a nice rifle though some what heavier than the 99.

Rob

Rob check out the link I posted above #22 some great guys on there that know more than two or three of me and willing to unmuddy the waters of doubt. whatever you go for you need to be comfortable in its use etc.
Rob.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Had one.

Good rifle, fairly lightweight, tends to suffer a little from muzzle flip because of it.

Is it .177 or .22?

New or old style?

The 99s is a better rifle imo.

Last edited:

Kai watts

Nov 15, 2015
Cambridgeshire
Yep. Got one in .20 what I would say is the hw95 does respond really well to short stroking. But a good polish and deburr will smooth things out.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Had a look, but came away empty handed, it was'nt in as good a condition as he had said, i did'nt make an offer, as he was dry firing other air guns that he had, so i walked away.

The search continues...

Rob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE