Weirauch hw35

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Are these now old school or still considered a good rifle ? , i wanted one when they first came out but never got one. I'm thinking about getting a rifle again but i'm seeing in the adds, makes & models i've never heard of, would a 99 be a better option ?, i'm thinking of a .22 spring powered rifle.

Rob

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Thats a good price Mark, thanks for the heads up.

Moocher, mostly just to be used for plinking.

Janne, i want something simple(like me !)so not interested in the compressed air/pre charged stuff, as good as it maybe.

Thanks for you imput folks.

Rob

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
I had a mk 1 bsa super ten years ago,it was to heavy to lug around the countryside,plenty of good quality rifles for £200 out there, hw 97 etc ,plenty of game been killed with a springer air rifle ,and no bother with filling up on air or co2.just seen your reply I got an old hw35 it's easy to shoot ,I used it at my allotment.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Thanks Moocher, i've had spring one's before just not for a while now, so really trying to get points of view & feed back.

Rob

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Woof, it depends on what you will use it for?
I like the idea of a fast second shot (and more) if you are thinking of hunting.
Target shooting - anything goes. But if you will do just even a little bit of hunting - maybe not the best idea to have ony one shot.
Just my opinion of course.

Last edited:

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Thanks Janne, it will be mostly be used in my back garden, so no need for a fast 2nd shot. I have hunted with an air rifle(hw 80k) back in the 8o's, & one night myself & a friend(he was using a hw 77)shot 75 rabbits between us.

Rob

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
People have hunted with single shot weapons in one form or another since the bow/sling, helps you to make sure the first shot really counts. :)

Woof, it depends on what you will use it for?
I like the idea of a fast second shot (and more) if you are thinking of hunting.
Target shooting - anything goes. But if you will do just even a little bit of hunting - maybe not the best idea to have ony one shot.
Just my opinion of course.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
If you can't take your prey down with the first shot you really shouldn't be hunting.

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
There is no such thing as a 100% one shot - one quick kill situation.
Even of you are a very accurate shot, the gun spreads which can mean just a wounding hit.

Most of our history we hunted with projectile weapons with a slow second shot, but then we did not worry so much about the humane quick dispatch.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Thanks Janne, it will be mostly be used in my back garden, so no need for a fast 2nd shot. I have hunted with an air rifle(hw 80k) back in the 8o's, & one night myself & a friend(he was using a hw 77)shot 75 rabbits between us.

Rob

Excellent! Lot of good food!

Weirauch make excellent air rifles.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
If you've missed the first, you may well miss the second too :)

Not only that, but the quick second shot is a bit mythical really. Whether your quarry is hit, wounded and flapping about like a flappy thing, or its dropped in a place where you can't see/hit it, you never get a clean second shot, no matter how fast you reload.

Never seen a rabbit take a bad hit and sit there waiting for me to finish it off.. Never seen a pigeon not either fly off instantly to drop a hundred years away or drop flapping from the tree into cover.

Real life, and in theory.... very different beasts.

Quick second shots are good if you miss the target completely and it doesn't move, giving you chance for another. But if thats happening, you should be shooting targets some more.

There is no such thing as a 100% one shot - one quick kill situation.
Even of you are a very accurate shot, the gun spreads which can mean just a wounding hit.

Most of our history we hunted with projectile weapons with a slow second shot, but then we did not worry so much about the humane quick dispatch.

Last edited:

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
With rabbits or feather I wouldn't waste a second pellet ,just dispatch. Tbh last time I picked up an air rifle was 3 years ago.i have thought about a co2 for plinking an that would be a king rat catcher to mess around with,as they look fun to just pick up an pop away with. But when I was a teen in the 80,s my grandad would let me use his old bsa an shoot an Andrews acid tin ,that was our idea of target shooting .lol

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Hi Rob mate how's your F1 doing? Mine's still going strong.
I have had a go with a few HW springers down the club and they are fun to shoot, the best though was a 95 and it had been "tuned" (this is not to up the power, in case anyone thinks it is so, rather it makes the action smoother so it is smoother/quieter). Really good fun for target shooting but also useful for small game (rabbits etc).
That said I splashed out on a HW100 on the grounds I was going to be using it for pest control on my permission and the 80+ shot rate on a single fill plus the 14 pellet magazines that make downtime between shots minimal and quiet so as not to scare off the quarry. The PCP type rifles are also very quiet and have virtually zero kick which improves accuracy, but that will never make anyone a one shot one kill hunter or a bullseye target shooter every shot taken due to sudden changes in wind speed or a slightly deformed pellet or a flipping leaf stalk getting in the way suddenly.
Whatever rifle you go for find the pellet that seems to work best with the barrel and learn the rifle, each even in the same stable will behave a bit different. Most of all enjoy it, it is fun.

Rob.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
One of my friends here is a licensed pest control guy. Here it means basically he culls Iguanas.
Very difficult to kill cleanly, he sometimes has to use several shots before they let go of the branches and fall down.

Yes, he is a superb shot. By far the best one here on Island be it with a shotgun, rifle or pistol. Gold and Silver medallist on Commonwealth Games and Island Games, except the IG last year.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Hi Rob mate how's your F1 doing? Mine's still going strong.
I have had a go with a few HW springers down the club and they are fun to shoot, the best though was a 95 and it had been "tuned" (this is not to up the power, in case anyone thinks it is so, rather it makes the action smoother so it is smoother/quieter). Really good fun for target shooting but also useful for small game (rabbits etc).
That said I splashed out on a HW100 on the grounds I was going to be using it for pest control on my permission and the 80+ shot rate on a single fill plus the 14 pellet magazines that make downtime between shots minimal and quiet so as not to scare off the quarry. The PCP type rifles are also very quiet and have virtually zero kick which improves accuracy, but that will never make anyone a one shot one kill hunter or a bullseye target shooter every shot taken due to sudden changes in wind speed or a slightly deformed pellet or a flipping leaf stalk getting in the way suddenly.
Whatever rifle you go for find the pellet that seems to work best with the barrel and learn the rifle, each even in the same stable will behave a bit different. Most of all enjoy it, it is fun.

Rob.

Hi Rob, its good to hear from you,

Mine is still going, if more than a little battered now !, good to hear yours is still "knocking about".

I wish choosing an air rifle was a simple !. I'm going to make a trip to a supplier in Melton Mowbray next weekend & have a look whats on the market.

Rob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE