Weekend just gone (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I hadn't managed to get outdoors for what felt like ages, so this weekend was a chance to put that right, especially since the rain had all passed over on friday in South Wales.

I meandered over to my site near Usk, with a fairly minimal kit, and after a general wander around enjoying the sun, I got myself set up in a nice spot. I was only using the backpackinglight solo tarp, as I wasn't expecting more than a shower. As it was, I escaped the rain completely.
IMGP2219.jpg

I got some nice shots of the hammock in the low afternoon sun.
IMGP2226.jpg

The woodland looks almost jungle-like in this shot.
IMGP2232.jpg

As the temperature dropped I felt like a hot drink. As happenes sometimes for me the bushbuddy stove didn't really want to light, and I went through a lot of tinder before I got it going properly. I find the bushbuddy can be a bit high-maintenance and attention-seeking. Leave it alone and it goes out very quickly. Given I was using very damp wood due to all the heavy rain, the struggle wasn't that surprising, but I got it going.
IMGP2225.jpg

I took the opportunity to do some cooking with my cast iron pot (formerly a glue pot), and it did very nicely. Fits on the bushbuddy, and cooked a good portion of rice, to which I added a can of chilli. Lovely.
IMGP2229.jpg

After that I let the fire go out, went for a walk, and got back as full dark settled. I sat and just listened to the night sounds in the dark for over an hour. There were badgers about, and a tawny owl was in excellent voice. Then I got into the hammock, and slept really well.

Next morning was glorious. The light in through the trees was wonderful, and when i packed up I was greeted with a close encounter with a fox, who didn't seem very bothered and gave me a long stare. Then out into the open to find the first proper frost of the winter, and some valley fog just lifting off as the sun rose.
IMGP2235.jpg IMGP2243.jpg

IMGP2241.jpg

I went home, and shortly afterwards, Dave53 came by and collected me. We went up to Blaenavon, and up to the Foxhunter car park on the Blorenge (yes, it really does rhyme with orange). The view was stunning, and I'm sure Dave has some excellent photos. We managed a few more pictures from locations in the area, culminating in a brew on Gilwern Hill, near a waterfall that I have shown on here before.
IMGP2257.jpg IMGP2253.jpg

Having some time left, we decided to go up into the Black Mountains, to Grwyne Fawr, and to my surprise we ended up walking up to the dam and back, which was a lot further than I thought we would get.
IMGP2268.jpg

Dave got to try out his new walking poles and his fancy new hat.
IMGP2267.jpg IMGP2264.jpg

It was great to be outdoors again, and the whole weekend was really enjoyable and relaxing. Thanks very much for the company Dave. We should do it again soon.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Gorgeous pics, what a lovely part of the world

Good job it didn't rain in the night otherwise I think you'd have been waking up with soggy feet and head with that tarp :)

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Looks like a great time was had. I can wait to get out next weekend. If I don't get out in like more than 2 weeks the. It feels like an age. :)

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
nice pics mike it was a great day out with good knowledgeable friend i was surprised we got that far to i will put some pics up now regards dave

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi al here are some of my pics
great day for a great view

v
28lcknr.jpg

this is the sugarloaf in the distance
jj63q0.jpg

nice pic of harvestman for those who don't know his face
fu7sbd.jpg

mike took me to this river that comes from the dam we were going to visit later great woods on the other side there used to be a village in the area that we were in
21ovgjp.jpg

a nice view up the valley
j8p08g.jpg

my first view of the dam
2j0xbp5.jpg

heres mike lagging behind lol all joking aside its nice to walk with someone that walks at the same pace as me
2ynl0fn.jpg

the dam
n21puc.jpg

lots of water it looked cold to me
5f547k.jpg

2mdl8qt.jpg

a nice little waterfall
2emms9c.jpg

so to recap mike took me to the blorange ,i saw the sugarloaf mountain and a waterfall and a dam and a lot inbetween thanks mike for a great day out lest do it again soon regards dave

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Next time keep walking past the dam for another couple of miles up to near the trig point. It's worth it for the view :D I love it up there.

Have you ever used the Bothey at the end of the reservoir?

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Next time keep walking past the dam for another couple of miles up to near the trig point. It's worth it for the view :D I love it up there.

Have you ever used the Bothey at the end of the reservoir?

I've been in it, but never used it. Last new Year I had an uncomfortable night camped on one of the quarry ledges nearby though. We didn't have time to go further than we did, being just out for a stroll and only setting off mid-afternoon. I've been up that way many times though.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Yes a very enjoyable post and... thanks for a rhyme for orange:eek:

The picture of the black, eroded hillside. What is that material?

That is coal spoil. Basically the whole of the mountain there is old spoil, being the site where the industrial revolution started, and where the first large scale ironworks in the UK was located.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Great pics and what looked like a fantastic weekend.

Very lucky to live near such beautiful countryside.

And frost, i'd give a left toe for some frost right now, it was 32c here today :(

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE