week wild camping and paddling on Loch Shiel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gailainne

Life Member
Great week out, really needed a sanity check, and this was it. Some pics;
The drive up on Sunday morning held stunning views, especially as you climbed up towards Rannoch moor;
Just above Tyndrum
IMG_0181.jpg
Glencoe ski area
IMG_0187.jpg
Corran ferry, there and back I just missed it and had to wait for it to return.
IMG_0188.jpg
I did’nt take any pictures of the drive over to Pollock, on the other side I drove into a valley which was still frosted over, and some of the switch back turns were still iced over.
IMG_0191.jpg
Finally arrived paddling into a setting sun, last time we’d see it for most of the week, the view back up the Loch
IMG_0192.jpg
DSCF1127.jpg
I slept in my little Terra Nova tent the first night, but Rich and I did a recce the next day for a suitable spot to hammock for the rest of the week.
DSCF1123.jpg
View from my hammock
DSCF1126.jpg
New shroud was slightly too long for the superfly, but the pu coated nylon was well up for the winds and rains.
DSCF1114.jpg
Ventilation, these would normally be a lot steeper, but I kept the tarp very low
DSCF1118.jpg
Head endDSCF1121.jpg
While the rest of the guys were getting a pounding from the weather I got off relatively lightly, the material was nothing special, just what I had available but it worked quite well.
Foot end
DSCF1122.jpg
I also set up a lean to with a Kathmandu tarp, as a day camp, cooking area, that transformed over the week to various configurations, great bit of kit, kept me and most of my kit dry and wind free.
DSCF1109.jpg
Good trip enjoyed the banter, also enjoyed my time to myself, roll on the next one.

Attachments

• IMG_0193.jpg
    IMG_0193.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCF1128.jpg
    DSCF1128.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 16
  • DSCF1119.jpg
    DSCF1119.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 16
  • DSCF1120.jpg
    DSCF1120.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 16
  • DSCF1125.jpg
    DSCF1125.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
looked a fantastic trip guys loved the music in the vid i will get it from iTunes regards dave

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
:headbang:Cheers Jason, very good pics, particularly like the one of you hiding in "Pirate Cove" have you been taking lessons from our Shewie on sneaking up on people "Pirate Style":canoe:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Lovely to see the photos :D
It really does look like one of those weeks where the company made the trip, even though the place is beautiful :)

Thank you for sharing :cool:

atb,
Mary

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
Great pics guys looked an awesome trip.

ps. I think you should paint your canoe battleship grey Col and that way you can regale us with more naval stories on a more apt craft :lmao:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Looks like you all had a great time. Where did you camp?

Cheers, Michael.

Camas Bhlathain beach, midway between the River Polloch and Eilean Fhianain on the southern shore, it looked very different to when we stopped there in summer a few years ago but still a good spot.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've spent last week looking at various canvas tents and stove set ups :)

Did you manage to find anything yet?

I was looking around again trying to find something close to the Snowtrekkers, not much about this side of the pond though, but I did come across these guys in Europe ..

http://diejurte.com/category/ridgetents/

With a bit of tinkering I reckon you could get something pretty close to the shortwalls. The Rhone looks decent, but you're getting into Bell tent weights

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE