week wild camping and paddling on Loch Shiel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Just back on Sunday from a brilliant time up on Loch Shiel with Rich (Shewie), Jason (jag009) and Stephen (Gailainne), travelled up on Sunday the 10th of November crossing the Corran Ferry in brilliant sunshine, this was the last we would see of the big yellow disc in the sun, the rest of the week was kinda windy to put it mildly, with gusts of wind hitting over 40 mph. The wild conditions certainly didn't spoil things as i still managed to get out paddling every day, even though certain days were really just about battling the wind and waves and hugging the coast. All 4 of us are pretty used to these kind of conditions and we used our experience well when pitching our tents, Rich had a high sided winter wall tent and i had a 3m high Bergans teepee and they managed to stand up to the high winds all week, with the only casualty being Shewies stove pipe, which was quickly sorted after he chopped another 20 tons of wood for his stove :lmao:Most evenings were spent with a wee nightcap or two in the teepee keeping nice and toasty round the frontier stove. Even with the wild conditions we managed to do a tad of exploring with a visit to the stunning Eilean Fhianain Isle (St Finnans Isle) which was home to the 7th century chapel of St Finnan. Rich and Jason managed a bit of hill climbing to enjoy the stunning views, while Stephen tested out his new self made hammock system in the woods. I managed to put together a wee video of the week, but forgot to wipe the SD card on the gopro camera before the trip, so didn't have much footage to use, however i hope you enjoy it anyway and it inspires you to visit our stunning highlands of Scotland. I'm sure the other guys will have some photos to put up later.

[video=youtube_share;Jo8wiigapxw]http://youtu.be/Jo8wiigapxw[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nice one Col, great little vid mate

I had a great week despite the weather, it was nice to chill out and slow things down for a few days.

I took a few pics but they're not great, the constant damp wasn't too good for my camera unfortunately.

My humble abode

I spent a good chunk of the week looking out this door

Om nom nom

Col putting up defences mid week

Stephens day shelter

Jason and his tarpology

Creepy oak in amongst the pine plantation

Looking NW up Loch Shiel from a high point

Tree meets rock, tree wins

Stephen & Jason

Col out for a paddle

Dank

I paddled up to the burial island one morning when it was good and misty, a couple of minutes after landing there a single crow came and landed in a tree above me, it kind of freaked me out so I took a couple of shots and paddled off again

Right, I'm off to chop some wood

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Good video col and some cracking photos rich despite the weather , looks like a Great place for a chilled out week .

Craig. .......

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
some more pics

who's a big boy then lol

The manservant chopping wood for his masters stove

Sharpening the splitting axe so the auld manservant doesnt hurt himself

St Finnans Isle towering above loch shiel

We don't do small celtic crosses in Scotland lol

Oor Stephen chilling round the stove at night

Oor Rich, surveying his little stick kingdom

Uncle Jason paddling up the River Polloch

Rich navigating the River Polloch

One for the BCUK South Scotland mosh pit crew....supplied by Jinsin....much appreciated mate

Out for a paddle to the burial island

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Looks a nice combination of place, time and people - great report. Wishing I was there. Cheers for letting us see. GB.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Loving the canurinal logo on the canoe Col ! :lmao:

Craig. .......

Aye me too Craig, wee Scotty got it made up and sent it to me through the post, addressed to Admiral Newman.....cheeky wee so and so lol, but in all seriousness, i couldn't stop laughing when i seen it after the Mosh Pit night at Loch Etive lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE