wedding speach tips

kristophish

Native
Mar 17, 2012
nuneaton
Hi all. I get married this Saturday, although I can't wait for the day I'm dreading the speach!!

Any tips or advice would be much appreciated.
Cheers kris

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
- keep sober until you've delivered it
- keep it short (see below)
- mention the new missus
- don't mention old girlfriends/relationships unless you have to (step kids etc)
- mention both families in a positive way
- keep it clean, but use humour. Old /storiesjokes are reliable if you can't think of new ones
- use a post card ( or similar size) piece of paper to write down the points you want to make. No more than 2 cards. Put them in the suit. Make a copy of the cards - give em to the best man - just in case.......
- don't try to learn it by heart, be yourself. Practice a couple of times with someone who will give you honest feedback if poss.
- believe you can do it and that people will like it. Picture yourself delivering it and see the smiling faces of the guests, hear the laughter and applause, the beaming face of the missus.....

I'm a hypnotherapist and often see people who want assistance for this situation - pm me if I can be of any further help

Last edited:

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
All good advice.

I have been a Best Man 4 times and a groom once. Just tell it from the heart in the way you would if you were just telling your mate.

If you are a confident speaker then you can entertain a bit and enjoy it. If, like you, you are nervous then don't try and be clever.

How did it feel when she said yes?

Why is she the person you want to spend the rest of your life with? (Hopefully)

Good luck and have a great day.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Don't try to be clever

Write a list of people to thank on a card. You will be so nervous that you won't be able to remember them all.

Keep soberish until its over.

Biker

Good advice already given but above all DON'T say: "I'd like to spank my new mother in law." when you meant to say "I'd like to thank my new mother in law." :lmao:

Congrats and all the best wishes for you and your bride for a great day and a happy future together.

I found a website that has examples of speeches that you can use as a basis for your own. Google is your friend

Here

Last edited:

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
When I have to speak publically, I try to address one area of the group for each 'bitesize' section, picking a pleasant face to focus on. If you're nervous about speaking, ask a smiley freind to sit in the middle and focus on them- if they know you might do that, they can grin back at you and it feels very encouraging and more personal than trying to take in everyone :)

Heyyyy, never mind the speech! HUUUUUUGE congratulations on your upcoming nuptuals! Enjoy the first day of a long and happy future together, lovey :)

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Congratulations, I hope you're both happy forever :D

I'd add that it might be nice if you reassure your new wife's parents and family that you're going to look after her, respect and love her etc

Hope you have a fabulous day and you'll be fine, as said above, don't worry about remembering it, have a bit of paper with notes on, or the whole thing if you need it, no one will worry about it.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You're a sensible lot, aren't you ? :D
Really clear sound advice :cool:

From the female side of things, look happy even if you are nervous :) these people love you and your bride, they really want the best for your life together. Have a glass of water beside you; eases a dry throat before you begin. Give your Mum & Dad a hug; the grooms Mum is supposed to wear beige and keep quiet :rolleyes:; it's very much a focus on the bride and her family, etc., but it's huge for your Mum & Dad emotionally too.

You'll do fine :D you're getting your head together in good time.

I hope it's a brilliant day, and that you're very happy together in the life you make for yourselves :D

:grouphug:
Mary

kristophish

Native
Mar 17, 2012
nuneaton
Wow a lot of replies. Thank u very much everyone for your advice and kind words. I was really bricking it, but you all have eased me a bit.

Thanks, appreciate it a lot. Kris

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I got Married last October, id made notes etc but on the day i didnt use them, just kept it to the thank you's(those attending)on behalf of my wife and i, special thanks to Brides and my Family, toast to bridesmaids, thanks to best man( and to ignore what he's about to say about me as its all untrue) some flattering comments to my wife, and thanks for presents etc,the jokey bits just seemed to happen, basically id say try and relax and just enjoy your day, i was getting to fussed about what i was and was'nt going to write/say, and when i just went with it rather than stress over it it went/felt better... ps Have a great day.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE