Trangia problem...

  • The awesome MakerMoot is coming up (13-15th Nov 2026), Visit the TORM & ARM markets,and have space back at camp to work on projects and enjoy great company. PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information.

Van-Wild

Full Member
Feb 17, 2018
1,562
1,411
UK
I have noticed this year that I sometimes struggle to unscrew the lid on my trangia stove. I can't get enough grip on it. Does anyone have this problem? I think it's my grip strength in maybe something to do with the stove still being warm when I screw the lid back on? Any advice appreciated.
 
  • Like
Reactions: John59
Is the vacron washer degrading?

Edited to remove randomly generated text.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: Van-Wild
I recently did an ' unclogging' exercise on a Trangia copy because some of the jets were blocked. As part of the clean up I also used kitchen steel wool to clean the screw thread in lid and on the burner top. I did notice that although the lid had not been sticking, it unscrewed a lot easier after a thread polish with the steel wool.
Might be worth a try.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Van-Wild
An old trick. Wrap an elastic band around the lid , double if too long. This gives a good grip. Use the band to secure the burner in plastic bag when in pack - always with you then.
Great on jam jars as well.
Sorry if I’ve stated the obvious or you have already tried this.
 
  • Like
Reactions: John59 and Van-Wild
An old trick. Wrap an elastic band around the lid , double if too long. This gives a good grip. Use the band to secure the burner in plastic bag when in pack - always with you then.
Great on jam jars as well.
Sorry if I’ve stated the obvious or you have already tried this.
That's genius! I've never tried it! I'll deffo have a go at that
 
  • Like
Reactions: John59 and Mervg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE