Webbing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gregs656

Nov 14, 2009
West Sussex
Hi,

I have a PLCE Bergen and I would like to look into getting some webbing, but it all seems a bit complicated to me!

Doesn't need to be anything major, the main reason I want it is to provide some extra support when the Bergen is loaded. My shoulder is a bit dodgy due to a bike accident, it's been ok with out webbing, but I think it might be better with it.

Am I right to think you buy the main harness (if you like) and then attach pouches to it if you so desire?

Also, a couple of side pouches would be handy (for the Bergen) but apparently they come in different zip sizes etc, so a pointer on that would be handy.

Cheers,
Greg

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
For the plce webbing you add the pouches to the belt you then add the harness to both the belt and pouches through a series of loops , on back of belt and at the top of some of the pouches,eg ammo and utility, you can also add a hippo pad to the belt to give more comfort, the issue bergen pouches and the sabre pouches will fit the plce bergen.

You'll need:
  1. A PLCE Webbing Belt - this has points for the pouches to attach.
  2. A PLCE Yolk Main - This is the shoulder harness if you like
  3. A Strap Utility - a webbed strap used to keep the pouches together and stop them bouncing about
  4. 5 PLCE Pouches
- I recommend Utility pouches, they are single pouches that can take a 58 pat waterbottle/Cup/Metal mug and Hexi Stove or 2 mess tins
They have 2 loops on the bottom which allows the strap utility to go though and give it a nice snug fit

Just for information a utility pouch is the same width as the following..
A Waterbottle pouch
An ETH pouch (Folding shovel pouch) A 58 mat waterbottle fits in here nicely
A Double Ammo pouch
A Medic Trauma pouch

The Waterbottle pouch only has one loop on the bottom for attaching to the strap utility, which means it bounces about a bit..

An Ammo Pouch has 2 Pouches on the Double and One one the single each pouch can hold a can of coke, just to give you an idea of the size
Hope that helps you mate.

Last edited:

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
As you guy's may know I promote the webbing idea, I've used many different sorts i think it's great and the Bergen Webbing combo is they way it was designed.

my main concern is echoed by Big swede,:(

If you are recovering from a shoulder injury, an army rucksack and webbing is not such a good idea, the likelihood is with all that extra you'll (without meaning to) overload yourself and make your shoulder worse.

IMHO, stick to a smaller cheaper pack like a 40-60l with all the "softness and mod cons" that a civilian sack offers until you are better!

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
Webbing's only useful for supporting the weight of your belt kit.
First thing - reduce the weight you carry in the first place - most of us take too much, just in case. Smaller ruc = less gear:)!
Next, especially if it's the weight of the pack on your shoulders that's the problem, you need to make sure that you take that weight on your hips through the rucsac hip belt - webbing will get in the way of that. Chances are the PLCE rucsac is not the best on the market on that score:eek:, so shop around - big swede's right there!
Finally, put extra padding under the shoulder straps with commercial add-ons or home made using strips of kip-mat, duck tape etc - could help if your shoulders are imbalanced after your accident.
Main thing - get comfy with the kit; you're not going to enjoy your trips if you're in pain:(.

gregs656

Nov 14, 2009
West Sussex
Guys, I've had this pack on my back for 4-5 hour stretches and it's been perfectly fine. I have read, on this forum somewhere, that the waist belt is not supposed to offer additional support at your hips, and that webbing will do this.

I've got no problems with the kit as such, I'm just looking to get the best out of it.

I will try and dig up info I read on here.

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Guys, I've had this pack on my back for 4-5 hour stretches and it's been perfectly fine. I have read, on this forum somewhere, that the waist belt is not supposed to offer additional support at your hips, and that webbing will do this.

I've got no problems with the kit as such, I'm just looking to get the best out of it.

I will try and dig up info I read on here.

Hi Greg,

The issue bergen comes in 2 back lengths long and short, designed to be issued to soldiers with long and short backs. It's designed to be used like a civillian rucksack in that the waist belt is done up and takes some of the load off of the shoulders... The PLCE bergen is a copy of the old Berghaus Crusader Bergen which was popular with Soldiers in the 1980's and is a precursor to the current Berghaus Vulcan.

If you're wearing webbing in the firstplace (which most soldiers have to but bushcrafters choose to ;)) then a long back issue Bergen gets in the way.. Most soldiers who are doing some serious 'infantry' style work will try to get a short back bergen as it sits better above webbing even if a long back bergen is the one best suited to them. They make a compromise as they have to you cannot take the webbing out of the equation... The bergen then sits above the webbing and the pouches full of kit act to support the weight of the bergen actually this is a poor compromise over a proper waist belt and soldiers who are fit just put up with the fact they are taking most of the load on the shoulders.

Ok for a Bushcrafter.... well an issue bergen is 100L + with the side pouches. Which is a big capacity. I don't know if you have a long or short back issue bergen I'd be inclined to find this out, it may be one is better suited to you fit wise. As Big Swede says a civilian Rucksack well chosen in an outdoor shop will always be a better fit in every respect than an issue bit of kit. That might be a consideration for you. Ergonomics in rucksac design has come a long way since the late 1970's which is when Original back system for the Berghaus packs was designed ( and subsequently copied by the MOD).

Good luck, The Kit forum is full of a wealth of info on the issue PLCE bergen..

Hope the shoulder recovers for you.

Cheers

John

Last edited:

gregs656

Nov 14, 2009
West Sussex
Thanks for that. I'm fairly sure mine is short back. I don't actually own the side pockets as of right now and I've never really needed them. Quite often, I close in the sides with the side straps, which reduces the capacity considerably and therefore reduces the amount of crap you throw in it that you never use.

I think maybe I will look out for webbing and pick the bits up when I come across some cheap, sounds like I don't need it.

I appreciate that it's not considered to be a decent bit of kit by a lot of people, but, I have to compromise as well. I picked up mine for next to nothing and to be honest, I haven't had any problems with it. Like I said, it's been good and basically anything on that shoulder over an extended period is going to flare it up a bit.

I wish I could find the thread. The guy explained it in quite a decent amount of detail. Was quite a long thread as well but I'm buggered if I can find it!

Last edited:

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Thanks for that. I'm fairly sure mine is short back. I don't actually own the side pockets as of right now and I've never really needed them. Quite often, I close in the sides with the side straps, which reduces the capacity considerably and therefore reduces the amount of crap you throw in it that you never use.

I think maybe I will look out for webbing and pick the bits up when I come across some cheap, sounds like I don't need it.

I appreciate that it's not considered to be a decent bit of kit by a lot of people, but, I have to compromise as well. I picked up mine for next to nothing and to be honest, I haven't had any problems with it. Like I said, it's been good and basically anything on that shoulder over an extended period is going to flare it up a bit.

I wish I could find the thread. The guy explained it in quite a decent amount of detail. Was quite a long thread as well but I'm buggered if I can find it!

Hi,

It will be marked up as long or short back on the label or printing on the bergen... Is it DPM or an older Olive Green one??

Any how they're ok to use. If you're doing a lot of work with a rucksack on ( instructing, guiding etc) and you don't have to use the issue Bergen then perhaps an alternative is a good idea..

gregs656

Nov 14, 2009
West Sussex
It is a short one, never noticed that label before. It's DPM.

Yep, I haven't had any problems using it. I've used it a fair bit but I don't need it for work or anything.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE